Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lag Solution, Maybe?

Mickey1779

I just left a Xini run at Wave 5.  The reason I left was simply put, too much lag, when you have to stop at every mod and resource and wait 2 seconds for it to be picked up there is an issue.

I do not hold the host responsible as it is the game that needs to determine the best host and make the proper decision.

Suggestion:

Upon launching the game, have the game query the computer to get specs on RAM, CPU cores, threads and do a few test connections to determine Hosting viability.

If the person's computer and internet connectivity are up to stuff, set a global flag HOST_VIABILITY = TRUE, otherwise set it to FALSE.

When people go to play Online, ensure that at least one of the squad members is a viable host and set them to host.  If no viable host is available wait for one.

Throwing four unviable hosts together in a squad makes no sense, so to does making a computer host which lacks the power to host when there are other people in the group that can host without any issues.

I know I am oversimplifying the work needed here, but there is no reason players with decent computers and internet should have to deal with this and it has been going on for way too long.

Its the hosts connection that is the issue, your pc does all the rendering but if they have slow up load speed and or worse using wi-fi for their connection to their router/modem.  Then they simply don't have the bandwidth to host as the amount of data required by each player to update all of what they and you see isn't available.

What we could do with is dedicated servers and considering DE's history with FPSer's they know that.  But seeing as this game is being funded by us, that won't happen any time soon, if at all.

the solution to this is dedicated servers.. no matter what there will alwayes be host lag from a "listen" client from time to time as the game client deals with awesum grapichs.. It is kinda naive to think that a client running the Whole game in cool grapichs and still has to be able to handle the server without any kinda of effect on that part..

i've already written to 2-3 devs about how they could do it and he liked the idea and would love to do it.. there just is not enough hours to get everything done. So im crossing my fingers for it to come in the near future.

the solution to this is dedicated servers.. no matter what there will alwayes be host lag from a "listen" client from time to time as the game client deals with awesum grapichs.. It is kinda naive to think that a client running the Whole game in cool grapichs and still has to be able to handle the server without any kinda of effect on that part..

i've already written to 2-3 devs about how they could do it and he liked the idea and would love to do it.. there just is not enough hours to get everything done. So im crossing my fingers for it to come in the near future.

I think to keep the game free/cheap they forgo dedicated servers, which I'm guessing would be a significant cost increase in terms of hardware and power+pipe for the servers, and would likely either make them less able to add more artists/techs to add more awesome things into the game, or have to push the costs down to the players.  This might be a worthwhile idea, however, as it could represent a paying tier to the system.  Maybe $5/month allows you access to the dedicated servers or something.

That might be getting ahead of myself and there's probably some sort of solution where the system does some checks to make sure the host is the one with the lowest latency/best connection when forming a team in the lobby before the mission starts.

Regardless, something will need to be done about it.