Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yet Another Oberon Rework

Sorrows_End

We look at Oberon, and we think, "This frame has a lot of wasted potential" and quite sadly, even after some major buffs, it is still so painfully true. Oberon is a frame that is attempting to fill multiple roles, and with the limitation of only 4 abilities, he is severely trivialized. Many frames can do damage better than him, and trinity still holds strong in her healing abilities, leaving Oberon in the dust. This being said, it's a firm belief of mine that Oberon can only be made a worthwhile frame if he is valued for his versatility and not for simply being a small backup in low level missions. With that, here are some proposed changes.

First off, the biggest change, giving Oberon two differing aspects, similar to Equinox. These will be a Paladin aspect, and a druid aspect.

Paladin Aspect:

Mostly the same, some minor differences here and there.

1. Sunlight Spear: A more divine version of smite. Oberon throws a glowing spear of lightning, exploding and releasing several homing pellets much like smite. The enemy struck by the spear itself will have 40% of his armor peeled off, and those within 5m of the explosion will have a guaranteed radiation proc and be knocked down. Damage and amount of armor removed is affected by power strength. Despite the Spear being thrown, it is hitscan, and casts just as fast as smite.

2. Consecrated Armor: Much like Rhino's Iron Skin, but goes on all teammates. Does not absorb as much damage as Rhino's Iron Skin, but is still viable at higher levels if modded properly.

3. Renewal: Renewal is now an aura that stretches as far as 75m without mods. Lasts for as long as Oberon has energy. Initial heal is the same, and healing rate is affected by power strength. Renewal also increases base armor by 200 points and gives each teammate a radiation aura of 5m for as long as it is active.

4. Reckoning: Same as before but deals extreme damage. Enemies who die are guaranteed to drop 3 to 4 health orbs and all who are effected are left in a small area of hallowed ground. This will act as it used to, removing status effects and increasing armor. Players will even regenerate energy at a rate of 0.5 points per second while standing in the flames.

Druid Aspect:

This is where new stuff comes into play, expanding upon his powers and playstyle. To switch between Druid and Paladin styles, hold (1) for 3 seconds.

1. Roach: Summons a basic mount for Oberon named Roach. When mounted, Oberon moves faster, attack power is increased by 50% and melee attacks while sprinting towards an enemy are almost always lethal. Press the power button again to dispel Roach.

2. Tangle Root: Oberon summons roots from the ground to impale enemies in an area, gradually sucking health away from them and giving it to allies in pulses.

3. Crow Swarm: Oberon dispels into a mass of flesh eating crows. Much like Wukong's Cloud Walker, Oberon can float around and even through enemies. If he hovers over an enemy, they will begin to take damage and even panic. If Oberon reforms while hovering over an enemy that is panicking, he will automatically perform a finisher on them.

4. Eternal Night: Oberon summons dark clouds to darken the area, obscuring enemy vision and awareness. From there, swarms of beasts will crawl out of the ground and walls, using pack tactics such as encirclement and tactical retreat to whittle away at enemy numbers. Leading them will be a large, primordial infested chort (they'll look a lot like a leshen from The Witcher 3, but have a few features to make them look more infested) capable of leeching health from enemies to give to players and resurrecting fallen beasts instantly, including player Kubrows and Kavats. This chort wields a massive bone cleaver and uses its huge claws to slice and tear enemies apart. It is invulnerable and will stay for as long as Oberon cancels or runs out of energy.

With those powers I feel that Oberon can now really stand out among other warframes, though there is still more I would like to see changed for him, stats wise.

Changed Stats:

Health: 175

Shields: 150

Armor: 200

Energy: 150

What do you guys think? Anything to change?

latest?cb=20160511131517

Here's what a leshen looks like by the way.

• 1 month later...

This rework is what dreams are made of. But what if no shields and increase health (like Inaros and Nidus) to offset the literally disgusting amount damage he could potentially pump out.  And have druid form have more energy while paladin form gets more armor. And have the forms passives be geared towards solo play vs team play. 

PS I love the idea of holding 1 to change forms 

I normally approach criticisms with a set manner, but I'll have to make an exception for yours. I will say this: If Oberon suddenly started riding a horse into battle, DE would have missed the chance for an awesome pet. That said, Let's get on with it.

The idea that Oberon needs two aspects is unnecessary. Yes, he was marketed as a paladin frame, but [as we can tell from his deluxe skin and passive] he has established himself as a Druid. Regardless, for a "rework" it would completely change the nature of "who" is Oberon. When DE reworks frames, they do so with the intent to improve on the mechanics/theme/playstyle of the frame, but I have said enough about that.

1a: Sunlight Spear: "A more divine version of smite." "much like smite." These are your words. You must realize that Smite is perfectly acceptable as a first, low-energy ability. It has Moderate to High Damage [more to fewer enemies] Good CC with 100% procs for reduced enemy damage. Adding 40% armor reduction to this ability is overkill. That said, changing the name to "Holy Smite" and making it a projectile weapon that rewards getting headshots [maybe with higher damage or more homing pellets or the 40% armor reducation] sounds like an interesting change. I also support the idea that Smite's explosion and/or pellets doing radiation procs instead is good as well.

1b: Roach: I love the name. In fact, I love this skill, but let's save it for someone else. Maybe a bugframe? Or Lancerframe? 

2a: Consecrated Armor: A skill that's a teamwide Iron Skin is just NeZha's Warding Halo [With the augument], isn't it? It's not a good idea to take one thing from one frame just for the sake of remaking another. You recognized that Hallowed Ground gives armor, so why circumvent that for another iron skin ability? I'd rather have the other second ability you thought of.

2b: Tangle Root: I like this ability as you put it. It's primary function is the CC but it also leeches health unto your team. I don't like the imagery of roots impaling the enemies. Sounds a lot like NeZha's Ultimate ability. Instead, they should just wrap around them. This is interesting because it has multiple uses that change depending on the situation. Should you use the ability purely for the CC so you can get a headshot with Smite and get more benefit from your skill, or should you leave the enemy alone so that you can leech more health from it? Hell, you could even CC an annoying enemy and then just leave. The implications alone would make Oberon a more involved frame with a skill curve. Did I mention I like this ability?

3a: Renewal: I like most of your changes to Renewal except for the aura bits. 75m is overpowered to be put simply. I get that we all want to support our team, but they have to be willing to be supported. I personally would keep it as is [little sprites that seek out teammates]. Doing so would mean that we can help our team from greater distances, but it would not be as reactive as they wish. The 5 meters of radiation just feels tacked on. If an enemy is within 5 meters of myself, it will still target me. The only way this ability would be beneficial is either by Bombard explosions are by running past enemies solely for the procs [Melee? In 2017?]. What I do like is the armor increase and regeneration change. Renewal is one of the weirdest abilities to mod for. For powerful burst healing, you'd need power strength and less duration. Modding this way makes its augment [Pheonix Renewal] almost entirely useless. Your change, more or less, fixes this by making it simpler to mod for. I, generally, think that draining abilities are too strong, so I'd prefer it stay as a duration based ability. Duration vs Drain is an argument for an entirely different thread.

3b: Crow Swarm: This is a terrible idea. It is Wukong's Cloud Walker. There is no purpose behind moving abilities for the sake of giving one frame everything.

4a: Reckoning: Mostly the same but more damage? Its augment [Hallowed Reckoning] adds the hallowed ground effect, so there would be no reason to overload the ability in that regard. Regarding the augment, it would need to clarify that hallowed ground increases armor and purifies/prevents status. I do not agree with the guaranteed healing orbs. The idea "if I spam 4 I'll be able to survive off of the healing orbs" comes to mind. Outside of that, a room clear ability is cut and dry. I would say add an extra 50 energy cost [150 total] and it would be fine.

4b: Eternal Night: A wild, fever dream. At least, for the player. For the coder, they would have to create a massive number of Ai, blind the enemies within range, summon a larger, invulnerable Ai with its own independent damage scaling and ability to revive the "beasts" on the field. A literal nightmare of an ability. If anything, it is a collection of an entire frame and it's abilities put into one. It's overwhelming, unnecessary, and the ugliest part of all your suggestions. I like its creativity, though. You should think about taking some of these abilities and creating a Lich frame or something wild.

Passive: You did not suggest a passive, but I do think it is something that needs to be changed. A few ideas are "Enemies slain by Oberon have a 50% chance to drop a health orb." or "Allies affected by Oberon's healing gain increased armor." The second, of course, would replace your armor suggestions and is the one I would prefer. 

Changed Stats: The changes you have made for Oberon's stats are too powerful. He would have the most health in the game, high shields, impressive armor, and high energy. Something has to give to balance him.

Health: 150

Shields: 75

Armor: 150

Energy: 100

Edited by xBlight

I like a lot of these but i see some ability overlap.

Consecrated armor = better version of Nezha augment

Tangle Root = Inaros' Scarab Swarm but better since it doesnt have the same risks of removing armor to cast and consuming health to recharge

Crow Swarm = Cloud Walker... Well kinda. Crow Swarm wouldnt be stealthed i assume so maybe its ok. Honestly Cloud Walker could use a change

But yeah the rest of the ideas are cool. However some should be used for a future frame

Edit: Just noticed your last post saying you scrapped the idea. Still some of these are nice

Edited by (XB1)bigsnake84