Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I think Corpus Crewmen need a new model or a replacement (3 possible suggestions)

Othergrunty

With War Within, the Grineer now got the 6th variant of their basic infantry units. We have the originals, the Arid, the Frontier, the Dekra, the Nightwatch and now the Kuva Fortress ones. While most of them are mostly just painted differently, at least the Arid and Frontier versions got unique modifications to their appearance and others got different helmets. Also DE found a way to put all these unused Grineer weapons into the hands of units.

However even just simply getting their armor painted differently works well for the Grineer thanks to them having a solid basis of various models, most which allow a nice degree of modification, even if they are not all modular like the Ballistas or Guardsman.

But looking at the other side of our human enemy faction. The human Corpus enemies are mostly just the basic Crewmen with a singular color change on their space suits. Crewmen, Elite Crewmen, Prodman, Sniper Crewmen, Detron, Tech, Nullifier (piece of tech glued on), the current Mars boss, all the same model since 2013 (safe for nullifiers). The creation of the modular Corpus enemy did not change this basic issue. Since they are used for special enemies like Scrambus and Combas which are meant to show up occasionaly. While we are looking at the same ONE model for most of the rest of the human enemies.

Now i have to say i actualy still like the Crewmen as the basic worker who got armed for guard duty. But in terms of visual variation, being used for basicly everything, is getting dull. Not to forget that many of the common Infested enemies are the Infested Crewmen variants (Runner, Leaper, Exploding Runner, Crawler x3).

This all makes me think, we need a change to the overuse of the Crewmen model. For this 3 possebilities come to my mind.

1. Create a whole new model for the Crewmen to use for the rest.

This would be the most straightforward solution. Create a model that has the same basic qualities of the current crewmen design, but make it more modular and allow better color changes. The important thing would be to retain the basic appeal of the Crewmen appearanc, the space suit, the armored helmet (as only armor they are given) and the semi-robotic appearance, but allow each variant to be more striking looking.

2. Create a new model to replace most of the variants as dedicated secruity force.

This would mean retaining the current Crewmen model for at least Crewmen and Prodmen as the basic indoctrinated worker henchmen we fight in early levels (also Corpus mascot together with Moas). However all the other current Crewmen variants could then be replaced by a new model for a dedicated secruity detail. Basicly replacing the armed worker with hired or purpose raised secruity officers, who have their own suits and helmets (but not looking as fancy as the Scrambus and Combas).

With these DE could take a step away from the Crewmen design and perhaps go for more combat oriented appearance while retaining a corperate or boxy element.

3. Replace all variants except Crewmen and Prodman with robots.

This is a bit of an extreme suggestion but would play more into the robot side of the Corpus, making them more different from the Grineer and play into their image of being seldomly seen themself. The basic Crew and Prodmen would of course have to stay as mascot and to explain the Infested Crewmen.

Edited by Othergrunty
Little error in the title

I do think there could be new models for some Crewman variants. Maybe something like

Crewman Grunt Suit: What we have now, for Prodman, Crewman, and Elite Crewman.

Crewman Tactical Suit: A sleeker, more protruding helmet and some slight suit reinforcement, for Sniper Crewman and Shotgun Crewman.

Crewman Superior Suit: A heavier helmet and a reinforced suit with glowing shield generators, for Tech and Warden.

Crewman Vacuum Suit: Like the Grunt suit but with the Superior's shield generators, Tactical's helmet, and a proper jet pack, for Rangers.

Edited by Akavakaku