Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Just started Warframe, what should I do?

TobyArtworks

Question

Hi everyone! I just started Warframe on PC and cleared the first few tutorial missions. 

Back on my ship, I am at a lost what to do next. Can anyone share their experiences and tips? What should I be doing and what should I know?

Also, should I buy Platinum directly or buy a Prime access to get the Platinum?

Thanks!!!

9 answers to this question

Complete junctions (the end-nodes on planets, if you scroll over them you'll see the requirements to unlock) and get new weapons. Weapons are the primary form of progression. Other than that, find yourself a clan that accepts n00bs and bug them until you're an expert. 

Oh, also: mods are important. Rank up the basics (Damage, fire rate, reload, elemental damage/Health/armor/shields) as fast as you can. Also also: Rolling and bullet jumping reduces damage taken, so if you want to survive, move around like a jackrabbit on speed. 

Prime access's platinum is discounted, so if you're going to buy it, buy from Prime Access. 

Edited by Cptcuddlybuns

If you get 75% discount from daily login go with Platinum, otherwise go with PA.

Try joining a Clan. There's a lot of clans out there that are willing to accept new players. Joining a clan gives you access to trading and clan tech equipment.

Start farming the basic warframe stat mods, this includes :

Vitality (+health), Redirection (+shields), Flow (+max energy), Intensify (+power strength), Stretch (+power range), Streamline (+power efficiency), and Continuity (+power duration)

And also the basic mods for weapons :

Serration/Hornet Strike/Point Blank/Pressure Point (+damage) along with elemental mods

I think I still have some spares so you can try PMing me if I'm on and I'll give some to you.

Don't spend your plat on weapons or frames, you can farm almost every single one of them. Only buy slots, "potatoes" (A nickname for Orokin Catalysts/Reactors that doubles your mod slots) and cosmetics. If you really, really want a new weapon try the trade chat. There's plenty of Mara Detrons and Prisma weapons that are better stat-wise and sold way cheaper than your average gun on the market.

Start doing quests. You can start quests from the Codex. It'll give you a better idea on what's going on with the game and it also gives some rewards to start with.

That's all I could think of. After that it's just an endless cycle of getting new frames/guns and grinding them while waiting for DE to release something new.

Edited by TotallyLagging

Thanks for all the tips! The other question I have is, sometimes when I am firing my main gun, clicking the mouse suddenly switches to the secondary gun. I press F to switch to the main gun but clicking on fire brings up the secondary gun again. There is no way I can fire my main gun if this happens. This is resolved when I relog though. Did I mess something up?

Thanks.

All good advice so far (+1's given out;)

re: the "shooting your main gun (Primary) and having it suddenly switch to your Secondary" issue, my best guess as to what is happening is that your Primary is running out of ammo (as in completely out, not just that magazine) so you're getting swapped to your Secondary.

IF this is the case and you're not already doing this, try running around and grabbing all the 'pick ups' you find, break open boxes/crates, open lockers, etc. Later on when you can afford to or get the parts you might want to get yourself a Carrier Sentinel
- all sentinels have a "Vacuum" mod now that'll grab drops for you out to a range determined by how you've ranked up the mod, but besides that Carrier also comes with "Ammo Case" which is basically an Ammo Mutation mod. So you'll be able to pick up spare ammo drops you normally wouldn't be able to use and have them converted to ammo you are.

The only other thing that I can think be happening is that your Key Binds might be messed up and is somehow sharing a bind between weapon swap and fire? Doesn't sound like that is the case, but you can go into Options and check your key binds. Even if that is not the case you might want to look at customizing a few of them while you're in there, or at least see which ones exist that you might not even know are in option in game, heh. (Historically the game is not real helpful in letting you know what some of your options are=p)

And to touch a bit more on Mods-

As Endless_Destruction said, go to your Mod station, find all the "damaged" versions of the mods you have (not "damage" mods but "Damaged" mods, I think they have a crack on the picture?) and sell/dissolve them. Either for Credits or Endo or maybe a bit of both. I'd probably recommend Endo since you can find credits laying around and endo not as much. Either way you'll need both to Rank Up your "regular" (not damaged) Mods when you get them.

Spoiler

DmgSerrationModU145  vs  latest?cb=20140901145001

As to Ranking Mods- 

The first several Ranks you add to a mod are actually pretty cheap. It might not seem like it when you're getting started since you have very little of anything but you'll see it later.

Mods have a Maximum Capacity which tends to be: 3, 5, 8 or 10.
And they come in rarity of: Common/Copper, Uncommon/Silver, Rare/Gold.
- (there are also Legendary/Primed mods and Riven mods which are purple. But you probably won't see these for a long time so no worries there!) 

Each Rank you add to a mod costs more than the one before it.
 Getting "rank 5/8/10" to 5 is a really good idea when you can do it as that's usually pretty effective and comparatively inexpensive.
 Getting a rank 8/10 mod to rank 8 is also not too bad when you can afford it.
 Getting a rank 10 mod to 9 or 10 can be very expensive.

So if you/when you get any of those (and some of the basic survival mods like Redirection and Vigor are rank 10 mods) my suggestion is to get them to Rank 5 as soon as possible and then as you get an amount of resources you' feel comfortable with rank them to 8 and call it good there for probably a while. 

In case you don't already know if you equip a mod in a slot that has the same symbol (Polarity) that will only use up half of that mod's normal cost (odd numbers round up).

Also (most) Warframes have an "Aura Slot" (if your starter frame was Excalibur he actually doesn't).
 Any Aura mod will give you extra Capacity to work with.
 If you're able to put a maxed out Aura that matches the slot Polarity then you'll get quite a few extra points to build with.
So try to do this when you can.

Melee weapons have a similar slot called a Stance which does the same thing. Primary and Secondary don't have these.

Alright so that is probably more than enough to chew on for a while, hopefully some of it is useful. :D

Good Luck and Happy Hunting, Tenno!

~R~

Edited by Rolunde

2 hours ago, TobyArtworks said:

Thanks for all the tips! The other question I have is, sometimes when I am firing my main gun, clicking the mouse suddenly switches to the secondary gun. I press F to switch to the main gun but clicking on fire brings up the secondary gun again. There is no way I can fire my main gun if this happens. This is resolved when I relog though. Did I mess something up?

Thanks.

That's most likely a problem with either your device or control settings... The game only auto-switches to secondary when you ran out of ammo or you're carrying something ( e.g. datamass for mobile defense, or power cells for excavation ) I personally never encountered that in my 1200~ hours of playtime. Does this happen everytime you play? You might want to report it on the General bug section if it occurs too often.

Edited by TotallyLagging

i always buy plat when i get one of those discounts!

another tip is to get out of your mk1 (starting) gear as soon as you get it to 30. check the market for replacements.  for rifles i can recommend the braton. melee the ether sword or bo.