Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I think it would be awesome if we got a Naginata type weapon.

SubjectXIII

I think we wouldn't get separate stances for the same reason that we don't get dual-axe or battle-axe stances; Naginatas (and other single-bladed pole weapons) are basically considered as Polearms. See Serro, Tonbo, Lesion for some reason.

26 minutes ago, SubjectXIII said:

After seeing http://imgur.com/a/qDURf

I really, really want one now.

We could name it Nagikana, and even have the awesome power creep that would be Dragon Nagikana. Then eventually Nagikana Prime.

....Not a fan of the name, but the idea?

DE, MAKE THIS HAPPEN

10 minutes ago, YUNoJump said:

I think we wouldn't get separate stances for the same reason that we don't get dual-axe or battle-axe stances; Naginatas (and other single-bladed pole weapons) are basically considered as Polearms. See Serro, Tonbo, Lesion for some reason.

My counter argument: Katana and Rapiers are both technically one handed swords, and yet we have the Nikana, with three unique PvE stances, and the Destreza, with it's unique PvE stance.

Just now, (PS4)namtap032892 said:

My counter argument: Katana and Rapiers are both technically one handed swords, and yet we have the Nikana, with three unique PvE stances, and the Destreza, with it's unique PvE stance.

Don't get me wrong, I think that design looks pretty good for a new weapon, but I doubt it would get a new stance class, considering how one fights with a Naginata compared to other Polearms, ie the same wide cuts and spins of the pole. Dual axes/swords can both be used just with tandem swings and split cuts, and until some proper stabs are incorporated into some future dual sword stance, the style is compatible with both dual axes and dual swords. Same goes for greatswords and heavy axes, both can be used just with large slashes and heavy swings (and slam AOEs in the Warframe-verse). 

Nikanas get their own stances because the scabbard is included in the weapon, and Rapiers get their own stances because they are more focused on stabs over cuts, and are also a lighter class of weapon. Longswords are longswords that do longsword things so they get a longsword class, further specification not provided or known.

It basically seems that DE likes swords because they are one of the most archetypal type of melee weapon in our world. 

• 1 month later...

There's no need to give the Naginata a seperate class imo, after all it is a very specific type of polearm.
I would love a weapon that captures the aesthetic of a classic Naginata none the less, if we get a new polearm stance to go with it that would be a huge bonus (the exisitng stances are a matter for themselves as most people know).

As for the Kesheg: the general shape, especially of the blade part, might fit, but that thing is waaaay too bulky for a Naginata....

Was personally hoping for that type of weapon since I started playing this game (shortly after open beta started) as it is my favourite kind of melee weapon in general.

So pleeeeeeeaaaase DE, make this happen :D

On 7/1/2017 at 8:08 AM, YUNoJump said:

Don't get me wrong, I think that design looks pretty good for a new weapon, but I doubt it would get a new stance class, considering how one fights with a Naginata compared to other Polearms, ie the same wide cuts and spins of the pole. Dual axes/swords can both be used just with tandem swings and split cuts, and until some proper stabs are incorporated into some future dual sword stance, the style is compatible with both dual axes and dual swords. Same goes for greatswords and heavy axes, both can be used just with large slashes and heavy swings (and slam AOEs in the Warframe-verse). 

Nikanas get their own stances because the scabbard is included in the weapon, and Rapiers get their own stances because they are more focused on stabs over cuts, and are also a lighter class of weapon. Longswords are longswords that do longsword things so they get a longsword class, further specification not provided or known.

It basically seems that DE likes swords because they are one of the most archetypal type of melee weapon in our world. 

Dual weapons actually do have a stabbing animation in the swirling tiger stance, which makes you wonder how dual kama manages to deal slashing damage *shrug*

But there's also the machete type of weapons, which gives the sword category 4 different types of stances over the very much merged heavy weapons and dual weapons. Dual weapons are in my eyes the worst offender of this as it practically only have 2 types of stances for what is basically 4 or 5 weapon types, where heavy weapons at least have 3 stances, counting scythes, hammers and heavy weapons, some of them even using the same finishers.

For the weapon proposed, I think the best thing to do would be giving Polearms a new stance that used a more traditional naginata style of fighting along with a Tenno designed weapon. At least I think that would work, as those two weapon categories are way closer than some of the dual weapons variants.

How about a Dragon Tonbo?

I know it doesn't sound as cool, but it could still work...

Of course, then the problem is if/when we get a Tonbo Prime we've got another one of those "mid level weapons".

So maybe just go right to Tonbo Prime and give it a more Naginata or Guandao style. 

Or skins, skins would be great so that we could apply them to any Polearm we want! ;-)