Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weekend Event Feedback

eStecko

Okey, let's take it apart, the good, the bad, etc...

Original Announcement Topic

This event is designed as player vs player competition as kills are not shared among the group and only 1 Tenno can deliver a killing blow, making the best way to "grind" most kills is for them to go solo, which is encouragement in a wrong way in a co-op game if you ask me. But that's subjective view of player who spend ton of time in Guild Wars 2 and in no shape or form is this a objective criticism, which can be found below.

Rewards

Snipetron Vandal for 20+ kills.

I like that we get a chance to get Snipetron back after its removal without any warning ahead (that shoud not have happened).

Top 100 players will receive a PRIMED CHAMBER MOD

We will talk about the "top X" below. Primed Chamber mod is not exlusive to those 100 players tho and they will just get it early. Others will be able to get it as drops, most probably from defense and/or Void as we have already with Thunderbolt mod. So a nice reward for people who want to grind the drones for this.

Top clans from 4 pre-determined tiers will receive a GRINEER DRONE STATUE for their dojo

This is actualy awesome... except for the tiers, but more about this below.

I think we can all agree that all rewards are fine and the statue is actualy a great clan-wise achievement.

Problems: Top Unknown and Tiers

Annnnd this is where the problem lies. Why?

Top Unknown: No leaderboards

Plain and simple. As a competitive event for getting most drone kills... why can't i see where do i stand among other players? So iam #1 with 5000 kills or #678? How can we compete with no reference to our position and position of other players, same goes for "Top X" clan positions. It's like car race, except we do not see other drivers and nobody knows where he stands until the race is done. I know that leaderboards are not implemented ingame neither on a website, but thats why this part of an event is badly executed.

Tiers "101-1000 and 1000+ members"

This tier is simply told too big. How can a clan of 200 members compete with 800 member clan on a reasonable ground? As a general of clan that has ~150 members this is very upsetting. Yes, we would like to go for a statue... one of our members already has 900 kills, but if we take into account, that there will clans with 700, 800, 900 members with similiar percentage of active players, organization and free time, they will simply get 3-4 time more kills. And no... i dont want to kick 50 members to fall into a lower tier.

For leaderboards in future there also lurks a problem of mastery. If mastery is gonna be included into leaderboards, the biggest atainable mastery will be with original snipetron and snipetron vandal, aswell with founder weapons and excalibur prime, but that is a topic of very different category and we shoud not go into that here.

I like that DE takes their time to create this event and i had fun with it, also quite some deal of frustration, because of reasons above, but we're all people and we're learning a entire life, but let's not reapet the same mistakes later.

On another hand i must give DE a credit with announcing all the stuff and we didnt got a blind goal and reward as with fusion moa event. Baby steps.

What do you think? Keep the topic civil and dont go of the rails too much. ;)

Edited by eStecko

The tiers are indeed rather... rough.  However, there isn't really a better solution in terms of better tiering, since where do you stop making more tiers? every 100 players?  Every 50 players?  In the end it's not a fair competition, and I don't think DE wants it to be "fair" anyways.  They do want to encourage large clans, according to all the talk about clan functionality in the livestreams.

I do like how they make trophies however.  That's what clan competition should've been in the first place: cosmetic achievement pieces that show off your clan without real ingame effects.

Well we cant tell exactly how tiers shoud've been made, because we dont have the clan size numbers available. But as said on last lifestream, Broframe with 5000 members is a biggest clan, is there a way they will not be in top3? There would be logical system of making ~5 tiers, depending on a percentage of total clans per number of players inside those clans. Another solution would be to create tiers per active players inside participating clans. Doing flat tiers as per 50, 100, 200 would create too many winners in those tiers.

But as i said above, what real chance has 200 vs 800 or 1500 vs 5000, especialy when they are blind to a rank other clans have.

They should have done Avg By Player.

The top 20 clans who have the "Best Score".

Score = Total Clan Kills Divided by Number of Players in the Clan with Drone Kills >19. Those who kill 19 or less are not counted, and their kills are not counted for the Clan Total.

Clan A has 7,000 members. 6,500 of them killed at least 20 Drones during the event. Clan A killed 3,250,000 drones.

Clan B has 250 members, 225 of them killed at least 20 Drones during the event. Clan B killed 123,750 drones.

Clan B wins over Clan A, because Clan A averaged 500 per "active" person, Clan B averaged 550 per "Active" person.