Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

'bug' Having Armor Effect Shields 'fixed'

InsomniacOvrLrd

I'd like to ask why? During the drone event, i did some testing. With my frost, and a steel fiber mod at +60% armor, the lv1 shotgun guys did 5 damage per blast to my shield. Without steel fiber installed, they did 10.

So steel fiber had a benefit on frames with a high armor count (rhino, frost, ash to an extent)

What i'm asking is, why did you change this back? Absolutely no one gets any use out of steel fiber effecting their health only. You should NEVER take damage to your HP, because it doesn't come back on it's own. Using steel fiber is flatly a waste of a mod slot. But it wasn't during the event.

I'd like to suggest that you change it back. Steel fiber, and armor in general, SHOULD effect your shields. Otherwise, what good it is?

Several other people have said this already.

I half agree. If it wasn't intended, then it was a bug which needs to be patched. It was a good, useful bug and I feel they should keep it in some way. Maybe half of armor could affect shields, or thereabouts?

I do agree that the intended current health mechanics are weird, but it was overshooting a bit. A fully modded steel fiber on a rhino granted 75.9% damage mitigation, in other words quadrupled your effective shields, multiplicatively stacking with redirection.

Health does need a rework though, currently defense is all about shields basically, because as you said, tanking with health will get you killed after a few waves no matter what.

edit: As for constructive feedback, I'm really not sure what to do with the health concept that would not make it just an extension of shields with another color. From the top of my head, maybe something like shields = steady low damage protection, health = spike protection. Give health a steady low regeneration regardless of combat and introduce a new mod that has "multiply armor value by X% after taking Y amount of damage in Z seconds".

Edited by Korevas

I do agree that the intended current health mechanics are weird, but it was overshooting a bit. A fully modded steel fiber on a rhino granted 75.9% damage mitigation, in other words quadrupled your effective shields, multiplicatively stacking with redirection.

Health does need a rework though, currently defense is all about shields basically, because as you said, tanking with health will get you killed after a few waves no matter what.

edit: As for constructive feedback, I'm really not sure what to do with the health concept that would not make it just an extension of shields with another color. From the top of my head, maybe something like shields = steady low damage protection, health = spike protection. Give health a steady low regeneration regardless of combat and introduce a new mod that has "multiply armor value by X% after taking Y amount of damage in Z seconds".

interesting idea. Personally I use health as a last resort, something I can use as I run to cover and either wait for my sential to recharge them or wait for them to recharge on their own. Plus, the health consumables are fairly cheap so I always use those when I'm low on health.

Immortals in starcraft 2 have an effect called hardened shields, where any damage over 10 is reduced to 10. Meaning, anything up to 10 damage dealt 10 damage, but anything after 11 onward .... such as an attack that deals 65 damage was reduced to 10 damage. So toughened shields is hardly a novel idea.

The thing is with a max rank steel fiber on a rhino, iron skin would be less about damage mitigation and more about the taunt. In fact, I'd dare say that with that in place, Iron Skin would no longer be necessary.

The way I think Iron Skin should function would be to keep its current benefits where it is immune to stagger, knockdown, disruption, etc. while giving a percentage based or flat bonus to armor. In this way, it would have a synergy with steel fiber that would allow it to do what it was intended to do in the first place.

As it is right now, fast deflection (which boosts shield regen) is far more of a benefit to the rhino than steel fiber is.

Edited by Jeraggerjack

I posted this in another thread but I'll do it again here.

Another option is that they could just make when you equip steel fiber your armor effects shields. This would give the mod a much needed boost as it is worthless because who wants to take health damage. I rather play a frame that has the ability to avoid damage altogether like excal (radial blind), loki/ash (invis), Nyx ( mind control and or chaos), ember ( lol face tank overheat) etc.

Let's not and say we did.

I agree that Steel Fibre isn't that great a choice for most people, but neither is Vitality really by that logic. The armoured shield bug was exactly that, a bug, and a pretty huge gamechanger as well. For that period of time my Loki was damn near immune to anything that any enemy outside of void runs could throw at him and I can only imagine how ridiculously unkillable Rhino and Frost were.

To top that, the game really doesn't need to be that much easier, I was running through Ceres completely disregarding enemy attacks. No dodging, no cover, barely bothering with invisibility, just going beserk.

Having said that, adding a mod that gives shields some for of armour, say 10 armour/rank, might be an interesting idea. Keep the health mods as they are but give shields similar mechanics.