Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon suggestions for a fairly new player.

SkeinsOfFitzsimmons

Question

Good morning all.

I started a few months ago, picking MAG/Skana/Lato/MK1-Paris in the tutorial. I've been leveling slowly, exploring, building, dojo creation, and generally getting caught up in all the new releases.

Now, I discovered the joy known as "Volt". Deciding I should now focus on opening out the star map, what weapons do you suggest? My beginning weapons are pretty solid, and I did manage to build a Paris Prime.

Thank you for your time in this matter.

10 answers to this question

Bows: Dread (easy to get as Stalker appears regularly if you play with people).

Primary: Boltor is always a good choice, so stick to it till you level up and will be able to unlock prime weapons. You can try other non-prime/non-syndicate versions of weapons, depending on your level - later you will acquire those you liked best.

Secondary: Sonicor (easy to get, easy to use), I totally agree with Lex (prime is better, naturally).

Melee: it depends on your preferences, melee weapons differ so much. All high tier weapons are MR-locked.

The Grakata is somewhat like a poorman's version of the Soma but a bit more annoying to craft compared to the Boltor 

Magnus have nice stats and is often overlooked, can be tuned into the Akmagnus which can be used even in high level missions

Regular Scindo and Galatine are great early on if you don't mind heavier weapons or Dual Zoren which are the 'beginner' version of the Prisma Dual cleavers (one of the best dual swords in the game)

Your Paris Prime should serve you for the rest of the game, though IMO there are better bows (Dread and Rakta Cernos).

I'm not sure what MR you are, but at MRs lower than 4 your options tend to be a little... limited.

For primaries I'd recommend the Boltor (MR 2, projectile, automatic rifle); the Karak (MR 0, hitscan, automatic rifle, low magazine); the Latron (MR 0, hitscan, semi-auto marksman rifle); the Burston (MR 0, hitscan, burst fire), the Strun (MR 1, basic entry level shotgun).

For secondaries I'd recommend the Lex (MR 0, hitscan, semi-auto handcannon), the Bolto (MR 0, projectile, semi-auto), the Sonicor (MR 2, projectile, semi auto, AOE, hilarious), Hikou (MR 2, throwing)

For Melee I'd recommend Galatine (MR 3, Heavy Blade, stupidly good for it's MR), Dual Zoren ( MR 2, Dual Swords, decent crit weapons), Orthos (MR 2, polearm, pretty nice)

You can kind of use what you want early on. Your limiting factor is going to be your MR, resources, and the mods to make these viable past Saturn.

A lot is going to depend on how you play.  However, some suggestions from what I recall:

The Braton family is a fairly impressive all-around assault rifle.

The Hek is a wonderful shotgun.  Properly modded, you'll go a long way before you start facing (non-boss) enemies that it doesn't one-shot.

The Torid is exceptional on defensive missions (or sections of missions).  Fill choke-points with its clouds and laugh at anything trying to get through them.  However, it's not the weapon I'd choose to charge into a roomful of enemies with.

The Twin Grakatas are one of the best bullet-hoses in the game.

The Lex, Vasto, and Magnus all work well for sniping (yes, with a pistol).  Primed versions of the Lex and Vasto do it better, but are also harder to get ahold of.

The Spira, Hikou, and Kunai series' do well for stealth take-downs at range.  While the travel time can make shots at very distant targets a bit tricky, most enemies will be close enough to adjust for - especially if not alerted.

The Sonicor is just fun.  While the listed stats suck, the blast the projectiles give ragdolls enemies and inflicts far more damage than the stats shown would indicate.

The Dual Zoren are a delightfully crit-prone twin sword.  While you'll eventually want to replace it (The Prisma Dual Cleavers do everything they do even better), with the 3rd highest crit chance, and highest crit multiplier of melee weapons, they'll last a long time.

The Galatine, Scindo Prime, and Jat Kittag spent a long time as the highest damage heavy weapons for melee.  And while there's now a few weapons out there that do even more, they're still exceptionally hard-hitting melee options.

Orthos Prime's reach is just ridiculous.

And, of course, the Redeemer is just as much fun as you'd expect from a melee weapon that's also a silenced shotgun.