Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Host Only Mode

Xievie

Quick suggestion.

I think we should have a mode set to "Host Only" mode in order to only enter a game as a host.

Some hosts have HORRIBLE connection. If you leave and re-enter, you are probably going to end up with that same host.

I hate that.

I really, really think we need to add "Host Only" mode unless there is some way we can make it so that we don't have to join the last group we just left. 

Host Only mode as in... Online Mode, Private Mode, Invite Only Mode, and Solo Mode.

Ping and connection is not the only factors to a match's lag. The game is p2p, so all is being run on the host's machine, if the host has a slow computer, the game will lag.

I think that besides the ping selector there should be an option that allows the user to allow or not the user for being the host, since some people know that they cause lag, they might try to get into online matches trying to NOT be the host.

Any proposal that has the player decide if they want to host will be open to abuse, since people can just set themselves as host only regardless their computer / ISP.

As HellEnforcer said, there are a lot more things to consider when deciding who can and cannot host.  Computer RAM / CPU threads / internet connection, even the players graphics card or lack there of can impede their ability to host.

Warframe needs to eliminate known causes of lag issues so that people can be flagged as non-host when they log into the game.  If someone is using onboard video, has the minimum necessary RAM or is running on a CPU which lacks the power or threads capable of hosting, these cause way more lag issues than someone's ISP.

Edited by Mickey1779

this has been raised before and we got "invite only".

I assume you want to start the game always as a host?

You could change to private but it won't be open to to the public to join though.

I think what he means is he wants to click asector and select host only. Making it online but he's the host. This isn't a bad idea, we all know what our internet/pc can handle, and if you don't then don't pick host only. The only problem is what happens when 2-3 guys pick the same sector and host only option. Do they get grouped up? Or are the. now all stuck in que waiting on non hosting players?

Maybe add in an option at the end of the mission when you see the results you can up vote or down vote the host. Of course you would have to see who the host was. But after a few runs a person with more up votes aka a good host connection will more likely get hoasting duties. But of course you run into trolls and such so thats prob not reliable.

Well, there is a way you can always host: start searching for players at a mission currently lacking any. Regardless of whether you start early or wait for more players to show, you should always be the host. At the very least this is always true for me... which is a problem.

Now what I want a never host option. For some strange reason, when I host I literally lose my internet connection a couple minutes into the match; it then takes a few minutes for my computer to reestablish its connection. This leaves me with 3 options:

1) Join friends who host

2) Play by myself with my game set to invite only so I will not have to host other players

3) Only join public games that already have players, so I will never be the host.

If I could designate myself to never host I could for search for players at a mission I need, even if they currently lacked players. Then when a player was found they'd automatically become the host instead of me. Even better would be if I could start early while waiting for players, and upon one joining the host would transition.

Any proposal that has the player decide if they want to host will be open to abuse, since people can just set themselves as host only regardless their computer / ISP.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read. 

Hosting is a decision you should be allowed to make. It's not 'abuse' if you try to host and you're a crap host. That's literally the opposite of abuse because choosing to be host or not is the intention of a 'host only' mode. If you join some S#&$ host, then just deal with it or leave and try someone else. 

It seems like a good idea to me. Maybe have a client only mode for people who know they can't host and want to avoid doing so.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read. 

Hosting is a decision you should be allowed to make. It's not 'abuse' if you try to host and you're a crap host. That's literally the opposite of abuse because choosing to be host or not is the intention of a 'host only' mode. If you join some S#&$ host, then just deal with it or leave and try someone else. 

It seems like a good idea to me. Maybe have a client only mode for people who know they can't host and want to avoid doing so.

And this is where I was talking about having up votes and down votes for host. If two guys join up on each other the server checks who has more up votes for who gets to actually host.

Dedicated server engine, that is the cure.  Then we could setup a pc just to host and that is all it does, then you only have to worry about the connection of the host.   Or better yet rent a server and install it on it.

It's nothing new, hell DE was in at the ground level of making server versions of their games with Unreal Tournament.  This maybe a p2p game but maybe they need to rethink that having a stand alone server version will help more than the cost.  Who will buy a game that is being proven time and again to lagging like crazy, as its hosted on some laptop or low spec pc which is already running the game so struggling.

Although the voting system looks good, I would prefer the possibility of choosing between "always host" (never join a game), "host/client" (as at present), "always client" (never host). But this should just apply to the online mode. This should not take effect in private mode, because you have to manage your session by yourself.

The voting system looks strange because i can get down-voted by someone lagging himself and i would never get picket again against ppl with more points. I dont really like that.

Edited by Tyrael2k3