Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

With Trading, Comes Hackers. De: Take Steps To Prevent Them

Vard

As of now, there is no reason to hack a persons warframe account other than to be a jerk.

but with the addition of a trading system, along will come a solid reason for people to hack into other accounts, to steal their stuff and give it to the hackers account.

Before you release a trading system, you need to be prepared to counter against hacking.

Have some account recovery process available, (Don't say account reset is an option to recover against hacking, Its a terrible option and you made us forfeit it to donate to clans))

Even better: Make an (optional) authenticator mobile app. Even offer a vanity item for using it like other games do, to motivate players to use it ((something small, like a sentinel customization)) And only allow players to use that vanity item while their authenticator is attached to their account

If you let players trade items without any form of account protection, people are going to get seriously screwed over by hackers

I really hope the developers will take means to better protect our accounts before they allow trading

Yet is the operative word, it is in the pipeline according to the live streams, better to be ready than react.  Once any game gets popular it becomes a target.  lotro/Wow/Rift/Playstation network, have all been hit in recent years, so is DE ready for that, I hope so.

To support the OP, I think he was just reminding DE not to overlook this potential problem. When DE talks about trading, of course they say they want to make it work well and prevent "exploits," but it's very general speak. I think the most specific they've mentioned is talking about how they don't want to see a ton of gold spammers, but that's not an exploit, that's just a huge annoyance and makes the game ugly.

I think it's fine the OP made this reminder, even if DE has already thought about this even more than him and are working towards a good solution. They never specifically said they are working on this (I've seen all the live streams and DE threads).

Edited by gell