Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Was there a crafting change w/o drop-rate change?

(PSN)ballunix

Question

Hi Folks,

I've recently been playing again. I've had my own 1-man-clan for years now and found myself surprised: other than Argon Crystals, Tellurium, or Nitain, I've never had a problem 'funding' lab research (well, except oxium before it got a drop-buff). Imagine my surprise when I discovered I was newly out of Mutagen samples.

So, I was wondering:

(a) if there's been a massive change to crafting requirements in general, but particularly Plastids and Mutagen Samples

(b) if there's someplace better than the Derelict to farm them

(c) if DE's spoken about plans to change the drop-rates on either of them?

Oxium used to drop 1-or-2 at a time, but is now plentiful. Should I bother grinding-out hundreds of Mutagen Samples now, or will waiting a month mean they start dropping 10-at-a-time?

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, (PS4)ballunix said:

Oxium used to drop 1-or-2 at a time, but is now plentiful. Should I bother grinding-out hundreds of Mutagen Samples now, or will waiting a month mean they start dropping 10-at-a-time?

Thanks!

My guess is, by the end of 2016 DE decided that clan-related stuff will now require upwards of 80% member participation to accomplish anything.

First was the Hema requiring 5,000 Mutagen Samples to research even for Ghost clans (much more than all previous Bio Lab research combined). When community began complaining about outrageous cost, [DE] Steve commented that "It's raining mutagen samples on derelict" so there's no need to up the drop rate or reduce the research requirement. 

Additionally, this recent policy was followed up by the new "event" which rewards Ignis Wraith, with a caveat that people in clans that cannot boast high member participation are limited to (at best) a Blueprint, and the normally universally available weapon slot + catalyst version of event weapon is restricted only to clans reaching rather high scores, which is extremely hard and tedious to achieve as a solo player. 

TL;DR: It's unlikely the requirement will change. If you want the new weapon (Hema) prepare to grind mutagen samples for a very, very long time. 

Edited by Reifnir

a) No, there hasn't been any recent change to clan anything in a while aside from new items to research.

b) aside from the event which drops them derelict seems to be the best way to do it. You could try Eris missions but I personally prefer derelict.

c)No, they're not going to change their drop rates or the amount that drop in each capsule, they made that abundantly clear with Hema and that was never the problem they're just as common as fieldron and detonite, the problem is they don't drop anywhere but derelict and eris so nobody has them. If they ever make a change it will probably be to how the research resources drop in general, all of them not just mutagen.

6 hours ago, Reifnir said:

First was the Hema requiring 5,000 Mutagen Samples to research even for Ghost clans (much more than all previous Bio Lab research combined). When community began complaining about outrageous cost, [DE] Steve commented that "It's raining mutagen samples on derelict"

TL;DR: It's unlikely the requirement will change. If you want the new weapon (Hema) prepare to grind mutagen samples for a very, very long time. 

That's definitely the one. Three years of Mutagen Samples (excluding what few went into the other weapons) and plastids gone like *snap* that.

Having flashbacks to farming for Zephyr when I accidentally crafted a distilling extractor which cost 300(?) Oxium.

Well, back to the very gentle, almost 1 drop-per-minute rain of the Derelict :-)

(OK, now I want to close with "Boy, what a pain in the Nek!," but as a classy fellow, I'll abstain from such terrible punnery)

6 hours ago, -Amaterasu- said:

they're just as common as fieldron and detonite, the problem is they don't drop anywhere but derelict and eris so nobody has them. If they ever make a change it will probably be to how the research resources drop in general, all of them not just mutagen.

The former is precisely what I found confusing, as I don't think I've used 5,000 detonite/fieldron (combined) in total over the course of 2+ years, much less for a single item's research.

I brought up the changes with Oxium because it was a rare resource dropping 1 or 2 at a time and now drops 7 to 10 at a time, yet the others kept their original drop-rates.

I hadn't known this was something they'd particularly mentioned on a devstream, which is why I'm going to try and find that one