Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Death and Dying in Warframe: Ideas for Handling Aborting, Quitting and AFK

o.0-

After reading several threads from players running into the issues of the AFK timer and how the event is structured. I didn't realize AFK farming was a thing so, I thought I'd share some ideas to discuss possible tweaks to the current systems in place. The balancing act is between a player struggling and earning would not lose all of their contributions to a mission upon reaching zero revives left, and ideally tweaks how AFK limiters are working:

1. Consider investigating an earnings threshold to determine an earnings decay rate, to deal with AFK farming. If a player is not using weapons or abilities to contribute, they can face a deduction in end of match earnings (This idea needs more I admit, but its a start, I hope).
  2. Upon hitting the Revive Screen, Earnings and Progress freezes and a Mission lockout timer begins. The timer is there for people who try to AFK farm by dying and trying to exploit this system. Could be 60 seconds to be fair, so that mobs could clear the area that you died in, to help so that you don't go down again, if you get stuck within the mob that just downed you.
  3. So that could also mean a decay rate begins to reduce earnings when in the Revive Screen, so the longer you wait the more you risk losing in Earnings, both collected and future drops, if you still have Revives left. And maybe, if below the threshold the faster earnings could decay (again this idea needs more, but the idea here is to help counter abusing Revives to AFK farm, since it feels that the average player will return within 30 seconds of going down anyway).
  4. Upon reaching zero Revives you have the option to stay and watch other players, an AFK Timer will not strip a player of earnings at this point, if the player has been making contributions prior they would be able to keep all or a portion of it. Seeing as a penalty could be applicable as in other games.

So say a player did give 110% and burned through his/her revives in an endless mission. That player should have the option to still keep a portion of their hard earned work and not lose everything to an AFK timer. If on the other hand, a player had intended to get carried and was not contributing, their earnings could be severely limited at the end.

That way possible earnings and/or progress freezes on the Revive/Dead screen and gives players an opportunity to retain a portion of their contribution, if they keep trying. Ideally this could be a paradigm shift in how missions are played, where instead of fearing to get too challenged, failing and losing everything as you run to extract, or push left on the should I stay or should I go slider (Defense and Int), you can at least test how far you could go every now and then.

The way I am imagining it in relation to the current event, two players were only able to support saving say 145 survivors, but the other two players were able to keep going to 172 Kavors rescued, then the two sets of players would have different values tracked for their contributions when the last two finally extract. And so, if someone else in a different scenario was attempting to actually AFK farm they'd simply be wasting their time, if they simply try to do nothing and just try to collect whatever they can with the right setup for countering AFK farming.

So those are a few ideas to get the ball rolling, since I'm sure that I can easily be missing a key detail here and there for how AFK timers are setup. So please share ideas that can be considered to improve these systems for future events and have a more robust way of handling these sorts of issues.