Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

U9 Is Insane For Beginners

EirikAura

After sloshing through these 10 pages and such, and also yesterday making a brand new account to see what the dealio is, my only concern is the nightmare mode stuff popping up so soon.  As for difficulty:  Took my beloved Excal.  Did my thing, played MPrime 3 times *gasp* since you get the extra mod that generally is useful and for some extra cash/mods/mats/exp.  Did Mercury missions till I had 25k credits (which has been mentioned time and time again in this thread) and bought my Braton.  Got a piercing hit early so that made my Braton even more efficient. And pretty much marched through stuff SOLO. 

Sure it was a little more difficult than I remember, but by no means was it impossible as has been mentioned here.  This game is marketed as a TPS/MMO/Dungeon crawler/Co-Op game.  Don't know about you but Diablo/Torchlight and every other dungeon crawler I have to play some stuff over for more EXP better gear etc.  Warframe is no different.  In your posts you make it seem like if you aren't able to move on to another planet or a new map that the worlds going to implode because you aren't progressing.  Just gonna put this out there:  The only difference between a map on Mercury and a map on Ceres is enemy level, spawn density, and HP.  So if you are having issues "progressing" replay missions so you can get cash, get some mods to fuse and some exp on your weapons and frames.

Okay, so someone with hours and hours invested into the game finds the introduction 'more difficult' than when they went in with no actual skill in the game. This is definitely proving that the current difficulty curve is fine. Not.

My other gripe is time and time again people have asked what mods/weapons etc you are using and no response then a few posts later its QQ my MK-1 Braton is a pea shooter.  Well yea, its a starter weapon that isn't very good, and people have offered suggestions and asked to help you with mod layouts and what mods to look for and to level first but no response just more QQ.   I think that's the biggest reason why a lot of people have gotten snippy in this thread.

It's not relevant. People 'offering suggestions' and 'asking to help' doesn't change anything. Because most new players will never post on the forums or even look at them, so if you're saying "the problem is that you need to ask for help" you're wrong, the early game is already too difficult for new players. They won't go ask for help, they'll just quit and play something with a difficulty curve that's better for newbies.

I challenge even the good players to go do the first mission AS A NEWB with a newb frame and no updates. Nightmare? Why yes, I think it would be.

We're up to lvl 9 weaps and frames mostly though my pistol and sword are lower. We have health boosts, shield boosts, everything we can cram on, and the nightmare levels are still just plain stupid. Why the hell make the very first planet have nightmare mode? Give us a chance

challenge accepted, although i dont think you HAVE to do the nightmare ones, you can however go back and replay a mission that isnt nightmare, so you can level up, its not just a straight shot you know, and if you dont have any sort of fps experience then this game might be a little hard to learn, but, if youve seen any kind of war movies, there is a thing caled cover, use it to youre advantage. not only that, if youre trying to go mele on a grineer which is what is on mercury, you arent going to do very good, depending on what frames you have they have armor, and shield and hp differences, you have mods that you can use for your warframes, such as the ability mods, the game is not hard at all, the nightmare missions is just what they are called, they arent hard for us players that have gear and such. 

just take youre time, play through some other missions again, level up, get mods, and profit XD

and LOLOLOL @ all the people going "you dont know what noobies have to go through" and seriously? your argument is not knowing where to shoot? honestly? what is the most widely known weak spot on an enemy? the head -_- if you are playing this game, and not thinking once, "oh hay i should shoot this guy in the head to do more damage" you may or may not have other peoblems, like not seeing or hearing about any other shooter games/movies.... and yes, we have gone through the missions with a loki, or even a mag, i started with mag, used the mk1 braton till it was lvl 30, even the lato i leveld to 30, starting out the lato is way better than the mk1 braton, seriously, this game is not rocket science, i do sympathise with new players, just because they dont know this exact game, but honestly, if youre getting shot, hide behind cover, if you see an enemy, aim for the obvious weak spot, its not hard....

Edited by Scribbs

Aight... so I understand you guys are new and all that jazz and trust me we were all new.

But unless you're like me and thought that the MK-1 was semi automatic and not full automatic, you have no right to complain.

Aight... so I understand you guys are new and all that jazz and trust me we were all new.

But unless you're like me and thought that the MK-1 was semi automatic and not full automatic, you have no right to complain.

It might as well be. With its rock-solid accuracy it serves you best as a battle rifle.

So it seems that the spawnlist for mercury has been cut down to Lancers, Troopers and Sawmen. The largest group I ran into was three lancers and  sawman. All in all, I believe that Mercury is back to normal.

Hot Magenta. For Science.

2013-07-16_00001_zpse26f4cf6.jpg

and LOLOLOL @ all the people going "you dont know what noobies have to go through" and seriously? your argument is not knowing where to shoot? honestly? what is the most widely known weak spot on an enemy? the head -_- if you are playing this game, and not thinking once, "oh hay i should shoot this guy in the head to do more damage" you may or may not have other peoblems, like not seeing or hearing about any other shooter games/movies.... and yes, we have gone through the missions with a loki, or even a mag, i started with mag, used the mk1 braton till it was lvl 30, even the lato i leveld to 30, starting out the lato is way better than the mk1 braton, seriously, this game is not rocket science, i do sympathise with new players, just because they dont know this exact game, but honestly, if youre getting shot, hide behind cover, if you see an enemy, aim for the obvious weak spot, its not hard....

Wow, you started a new account since Update 9 dropped with Mag and got the Lato and MK1-Braton to level 30? Because that's what I was talking about. I'm aware that people have created accounts with Mag and Loki in the months previous to this. I was one of them. 

My frakking point was that you don't know what it's like for newbies as of Update 9. Your comments about taking cover and headshots are moot (which you'd know if you actually read the thread) because the OP is already doing that. Reading is not rocket science.

It's all null anyway since they changed it. Guess someone agreed with the OP more than you. 

Edited by CorrTerek

I challenge even the good players to go do the first mission AS A NEWB with a newb frame and no updates. Nightmare? Why yes, I think it would be.

We're up to lvl 9 weaps and frames mostly though my pistol and sword are lower. We have health boosts, shield boosts, everything we can cram on, and the nightmare levels are still just plain stupid. Why the hell make the very first planet have nightmare mode? Give us a chance

I did a forma on all my gear and it was really tough for me (keep in mind I have beaten almost all the content in U8 including void before doing a reset and playing U9). The difficulty went from appropriate to ridiculous.

DE need's to change the difficulty back to how it was in U8, this is ridiculous, even with unranked top gear (Dread, Despair, Frost, etc.). I had my brother play it for the first time this weekend and he said "this is dumb" after dying constantly which is discouraging since he probably owns about half the FPS games ever made.

The only reason I beat the content is because I have played it so much and already know the content and what to look out for. I am sure this will make new players drop and leave the game like crazy.

I think new aura mods system rejects all non-super charged warframe.

The max mod capacity is 30 if warframe has not orokin potato.

And the total cost of rank 3 power mod ( like slash dash ) is 19 ( 3+4+5+7 ).

We want to equip powers and aura.

But if aura mod polarity doesn't match with warframe's aura slot polarity, the cost of rank5 aura is 9!

Then total cost is 28! Wow! This warframe can no additional mods!

Save the biginner who don't have enogh platinum.

1 of my idea is "weekly quest" rewards an orokin potato.

Its not crushingly difficult... that's the point.

Again, go read my first two posts in the thread... I'm not waving my pecker around here, I actually tried to aid these 2 with the benefit of experience.  Some people are advice-proof though.

And I quote - "As a 39 year old gamer that still has his Atari 2600, you embarrass me with your inability to play this, arguably easy, game.  Good day."

That's not waving your 'pecker'? Come on. You were an arrogant 'pecker'. That much is clear.

LOLOLOL @ all the people going "you dont know what noobies have to go through" and seriously? your argument is not knowing where to shoot? honestly? what is the most widely known weak spot on an enemy? the head -_- if you are playing this game, and not thinking once, "oh hay i should shoot this guy in the head to do more damage" 

So I'm stupid as well? Actually, even on co-op I often get the most headshots. I started doing that on the first mission! 

Anyway, I'll see how today goes. I hope that from the sounds of things I can go back to enjoying the game.

To all those who have offered help and advice, thank you, it is appreciated!

Wow, you started a new account since Update 9 dropped with Mag and got the Lato and MK1-Braton to level 30? Because that's what I was talking about. I'm aware that people have created accounts with Mag and Loki in the months previous to this. I was one of them. 

My frakking point was that you don't know what it's like for newbies as of Update 9. Your comments about taking cover and headshots are moot (which you'd know if you actually read the thread) because the OP is already doing that. Reading is not rocket science.

It's all null anyway since they changed it. Guess someone agreed with the OP more than you. 

if you wanted me to play through all the stuff, i would have done it, and ill do it still if you want, like i said the game isnt rocket science, anyone with a previous history of watching an army movie would just instinctly look for things to help them survive, imean, sure we all get tripped up at some point but saying the game is to hard for a new player is just.....facepalm, and crying about how hard it is to be a new player like you did, saying we have no sympathy for new players, well guess what, we were all new once, and we all did it, i know for me i was doing t2 stuff with my mag when i started, albiet i was at lvl 30 unpotatoed, unformad using the mk1 braton and the lato, both unpotatoed, and unformad, so dont come to me saying "its too hard, we cant do it"

@mike, i never said anyone was stupid, if thats how you wanted to interperate it then so be it, i was saying making the argument that "you guys know where to shoot better than i do" is a really REALLY dumb argument.

I really think that this increased difficulty is a real game breaker for new players.

I've recently invited few friends over to start playing warframe, and they quitted after few rounds just because they can't pass the first few levels in Mercury.

The game should be fun to play for everyone, not just for some hardcore gamers.

if you wanted me to play through all the stuff, i would have done it, and ill do it still if you want, like i said the game isnt rocket science, anyone with a previous history of watching an army movie would just instinctly look for things to help them survive, imean, sure we all get tripped up at some point but saying the game is to hard for a new player is just.....facepalm, and crying about how hard it is to be a new player like you did, saying we have no sympathy for new players, well guess what, we were all new once, and we all did it, i know for me i was doing t2 stuff with my mag when i started, albiet i was at lvl 30 unpotatoed, unformad using the mk1 braton and the lato, both unpotatoed, and unformad, so dont come to me saying "its too hard, we cant do it"

Couple of things.

"I would have done this" is invalid because you, y'know, didn't do it. Doesn't matter what you did before, what matters is the here and now. And here and now, they fixed it. Because it was a problem. 

Secondly, I said "empathy", not "sympathy". They are different things, feel free to look them up. I can feel empathy for someone without feeling sympathy for them, or vice versa. 

Lastly, "we were all new once, we all did it" -- no, we didn't. Not all of us. Not the way they had it set up after Update 9 dropped. Did you know that an enemy's armor scales with their level? And that all the beginner planets had higher level ranges than they did before Update 9? How do you think that affects someone who only has starter gear? Not to mention the Nightmare Mode shenanigans. 

That is all I'm trying to get across here. If you think asking people to put themselves in someone else's shoes is "crying", that's your loss. It's a valuable skill to have and I genuinely hope you develop it. 

Couple of things.

"I would have done this" is invalid because you, y'know, didn't do it. Doesn't matter what you did before, what matters is the here and now. And here and now, they fixed it. Because it was a problem. 

Secondly, I said "empathy", not "sympathy". They are different things, feel free to look them up. I can feel empathy for someone without feeling sympathy for them, or vice versa. 

Lastly, "we were all new once, we all did it" -- no, we didn't. Not all of us. Not the way they had it set up after Update 9 dropped. Did you know that an enemy's armor scales with their level? And that all the beginner planets had higher level ranges than they did before Update 9? How do you think that affects someone who only has starter gear? Not to mention the Nightmare Mode shenanigans. 

That is all I'm trying to get across here. If you think asking people to put themselves in someone else's shoes is "crying", that's your loss. It's a valuable skill to have and I genuinely hope you develop it. 

i know what empathy is, and i know what sympathy is, i have both thank you very much, also, they could skip over nightmare mode maps, people keep saying its too hard, the first couple of levels, no, its not. one thing i do agree with you on is why they would have nightmare mode on some of the beginning maps, other than that, its fair game i say, another thing, if youre in a group with more than 1 person, it should be a breeze to pass nearly any level, in the beginner zones, that still doesent excuse the fact that you keep dying on them, maybe they do die, maybe they dont, but to me it sounds like they do die. and yes i know how mobs work, im not dumb, thank you for implying that but no im not. also that still doesent exclude the fact that they could, COULD have played the other missions over again, to amass mods, and credits, to buy other things, like weapons, so there is NO reason to be complaining, and how could you say that we all werent new once, going through this game. of course we all were, i played the missions after u9 and i noticed no difference at all, none, except vor ofc, then they scalled him down cause he was going past lvl 100, and now they scale down the game again? because of what? people not being able to pass the first few levels. how much of this game are they going to tailor to the people who cant pass the first few levels? if it was in that universe we would have boss maps with only 1 mob in it, the fricking boss, and moas would not exist in this game, since they are more deadly than the frickin corpus themselves. like....i dont know what to say to you because, 1 youre trying to make all these remarks that makes you look like you have been there, to that side of the war field, and 2, i dont really know a reason 2. but the fact of the matter remains, 

YOU DONT HAVE TO PLAY THE NIGHTMARE MISSIONS IF YOU DONT WANT TO. 

that being said, who cares if the nightmare missions are there for a day, what else would you be doing besides farming anyways, seriously, farming the lower level missions, even m prime is not that bad of an idea, you would get xp, a guarenteed mod, and creds. AND like ive said, ITS NOT EVEN HARD. if i could record and make a video of me making a fresh account, going through the first few missions with a mag, i would just to shut you up. 

TL;DR how much of the game, are they going to tailor to people who cant make it past the first few missions of the beginning level.....

And another, if they go to 'nightmare mode' after playing once how to do we level up?? We've done all the mercury ones and are stuck at level 1. We only completed them with larger teams in Online mode yet most of the missions say levels 2 and above... how do you level up???

You are probably talking about your mastery rank, that is not level, the level indicator on the map is what the enemy level will be (except defend mission as their level is unlimited). 

As usual, DE need to improve their in game tutorial or at least make a help guide for new player.

Edited by chanw4

YOU DONT HAVE TO PLAY THE NIGHTMARE MISSIONS IF YOU DONT WANT TO. 

You are aware that that was not the case until today, right? This evening, to be precise, when they rolled out the first hotfix. Before that Nightmare Mode was glitched and would show up before you'd completed a given mission. This was all covered earlier in the thread. 

So...yeah, they did kind of have to play if they wanted to progress. And "stop playing" should never be a solution to a problem. 

As for the rest of your rant, I'm not going to argue with you any more. You're not reading what I'm saying, and that irritates me. And I don't read these forums to get irritated. 

OP, hope I was able to help you guys a little bit. Keep plugging along, this game may take awhile to get started but it really is quite fun. 

Edited by CorrTerek

Well I agree that nightmare mode wasn't applied in the best of ways, but it's kinda RNG at the moment, as long as they're not on a node you haven't cleared and NEED to clear for progression, and as long as they don't take up every single cleared node (i know mercury doesn't have a lot of nodes, and i had 3 nightmare modes on that map at once), I think you can still make do. Those nightmare nodes were on ones that you cleared already, right?As for Vor...uhh, are you sure we're talking about the same Vor? Because he was a pushover before U9. He never got any stat changes along the way so it can't be because he was weaker when i was new to the game. And when I first fought him I could solo him MELEE-ONLY by using Skana charge attacks and circle-strafing. That's not viable now of course, just saying.If you need any help with boss fights you can read the wiki pages. I've soloed each and every boss, and written strategies for them on the wiki.

I could one hit kill vor with a level 6 reaper prime...

Well, I can report I am much happier now. The difficulty on Mercury missions is much more manageable and I can actually play levels through without needing a backup team again. It's still difficult (I'm no TPS expert, never was) but I can manage it. I recognised some of the gameplay errors noted further up thread in my play style, which lost me a chunk of health, and will work on those but overall, yeah, much happier now.

I'll still be *@##$ing and whining on occasion I have no doubt :P but more at myself instead of the game. Not on forum :P I know there are skills I need to develop and I'll never be one of the gung ho types who are near the top of the leaderboard but I've never cared about that as long as the game can be played and I can enjoy it.

Perhaps one of the best suggestions though was to potato the frame. I won't waste money doing the weapons since I'm still running the base models (at level 16/12/12) but having 32 slots instead of 16 for the frame has meant a great deal to my survivability and the Excalibur is a good frame for my level.

OP, hope I was able to help you guys a little bit. Keep plugging along, this game may take awhile to get started but it really is quite fun. 

Yes, you have helped a lot :) thank you. Things are a lot better today and I'll definitely keep plugging. It really looks like DE did a great job of listening, there are a lot of things fixed - squad list, names on resources, etc.. 

Well ain't we a chirpy little twerp! Tell you what, why don't you tell us all how you got to be the Lord High Executioner for the game? Or just go away. Either is good.

I will explain it to avoid a flame war. Even as I am not that player.

The trick to the game is to continually play the starting missions without nightmare mode as much as possible, until about rank 18. Then, you go to defense missions and allow higher players to carry you. Once you get great mods and some rewards, you can move on to taking on higher level missions and then moving on to the late game content.

Average amount of hours nescessary: 35

Paying status: None

I am as free to play as anyone else, and that is my strategy to winning.

It's be nice if the damn game explained wtf a skull meant

HAHAHAHAHA !! That's the best one xD

I mean ; a SKULL ! It's supposed to mean 'death', obviously you don't want to try it when you're a noob. :I

Well that's how I'd react as a newbie when I see a skull level, at least. It's kind of a universal symbol, dude.

But anyway, I think it would be better if there were no nightmare mode for Mercury so we avoid such silly rage comments

there should be an option to do nightmare mode or not, first time fighting the new vor was on nightmare and i only used my new lvl trinity because i didnt see that it was on nightmare mode and got owned immediately. He is suppose to be a boss that anyone can fight. even with the new update of him.

Edited by AWESOMEDUDE274