Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE-Doable Mission Type redesign/tweak/fusions

Zoretor

Posting mission ideas in the mission type sandbox is a waste of time and just a dead end. Maybe the first page or 2 were read, but from there on it's just where mission type ideas go to die.

So here I present the following ideas for new missions, trying to lean into a more immersive context for doing them, even if the grind and repetativeness is still there. It's easier on the mind and soul (in any game) when you're grinding with a clear context to back it up. Makes it feel (a bit more) like you're going somewhere instead of simply treading on the hamster wheel.

These ideas are actually mostly just reworks/tweaks or fusions of two currently existing mission types, with the emphatic consideration that I've thought them up as being something that would actuallly be doable by DE, in terms of time and work invested, using already existing assets.

• Lure (Deception+Capture): This would replace capture missions, with a little of the old deception sprinkled on top: Take the datamass to a console, insert it, and the enemy is deceived, thinking the Warframes are here to steal data, so enemies come rushing in to take you or the console out, except it's a ruse to lure the enemy capture target out. Accessing the console will waypoint the target after about 10 seconds. The capture target will hold ground, but in an alerted state, along with a squad of bodyguards (one of each eximi type for example) until it has line of sight to the first Warframe, whereupon it immediately loses his/her nerve, and tries to escape, and so the regular capture mission situation ensues.

• Datajack (Mobile Defense+Defense): This would replace all mobile defense and most defense missions. The idea that you're defending a cryopod, where a priceless dormant tenno lies (or whatever other defense object), but because prizes! you stay and keep placing it in ever growing danger, is kinda ridiculous and counterproductive (unimmersive) to me, so I'd limit cryopod (or other static object) defense missions to the countdown variety (the finite ones, in which a fixed number of rounds are counted down).
    Plus, defense missions are extremely boring and redundant, whereas Mobile Defense missions are much more dynamic and therefore fun, so, I present Datajack, which is basically Endless Mobile Defense: You're trying to harness as much information as you can for your beloved space mom by jacking as many consoles as you can.
    You load in the mission with the datamass as per usual. Map shows available (or maybe only nearest) consoles as waypoints. Map has many randomly placed/generated consoles to hack.
    You go to whichever one you prefer, in any order, and insert the datamass. From here it's the usual Mobile Defense dance, only with a slightly longer timer on each console (how much I leave to the devs). When a console has been 'jacked, it can't be re-accessed until two other consoles are 'jacked, or until a cooldown timer runs out (1 minute or so).
    Each console counts as a round and so also counts as a "rotation", providing the corresponding rotation prize, which pops up like in a survival (without pausing the action) once the 'jacking timer finishes. Extraction opens up after the first 'jacked console. From here you can extract, with the datamass in hand!, or go to another console. Rinse and repeat for as long as you need. Repeat: Extraction must be with the datamass in hand!
    Of course Datajack would also have the fixed rounds counting down variation, for Sorties or other situations, where you have a predefined set number of consoles you have to 'jack.
    Sorties would ditch the wonky/annoying current operative defense in favor of this mode, using the "countdown" variation.
    - Tilesets that would keep the classic cryopod/static object defense: Stofler, Lua; Uranus multi-cryopod defense; all countdown variations (alerts, sorties, etc.). Syndicate defense missions could use the Operative Defense variant.
  • Diversion (Survival rename): Just a renaming, for consistency's sake.
  • Exterminate: I believe Exterminate missions are an all around redundancy, so Exterminate missions would be specific to the Infested, for which contextually Exterminate missions make more sense (bug hunt).
    Otherwise, Corpus or Grineer Exterminates could make sense to be exclusive to ship tilesets, where you have said factions' reinforcements or troops that are best eliminated before they reach whatever destination, with the possibility of it being a timed exterminate. It'd be cool to actually be told this reasoning by Lotus transmission, but this would break my ground rule of 'using only existing assets'.
    Also, Crossfire missions definately stay, but they would only be the ship (or asteroid) tileset variety (the ones with the connecting boarding tile). No planet-surface Crossfires (if there even are any... I'm not sure).
  • Excavation: (warning! extreme controversy ahead) They are no longer about Cryotic. The objective is very simply and directly about acquiring the tileset's repective resources, along with the rotation reward itself that the excavation gives you. The mission now simply counts the number of excavations done (or counts down the number of excavations left) rather than counting the amount of Cryotic harnessed.
    This idea goes side-by-side with my proposal to have Cryotic be an "uncommon" resource, found on certain planets just the same as any other uncommon resource. Cryotic ain't that big a deal, except for the Sybear, so, why not?... Another resource wouldn't hurt.
  • All mission types would have the 3 "sabotage caches". The hidden caches would randomly spawn anywhere (that makes sense) in the level on each mission load-in. This gives a constant optional side-mission objective to all missions that motivate exploration for those that like to explore, or go slow and take time to smell the rubedo.
    The Lotus would not mention the caches until the first one is found and opened (so no more "There are x number of caches in the area"). You find one, Lotus informs you there are others.
    Rewards could range from alternate landing craft parts to mods, to Nitain extract, to research resources (dependent on faction tileset), or whatever made sense with regards to the tileset, planet or faction.