Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe forces 20GB installation of files on main partition (installed on D:\ files go to C:\) anyone else having this issue ???

Severuslanskerr

Question

Hi, i installed this game under my big HDD D:\ (D\Warframe)
but it stores 20 GB of data under my "Windows only" dedicated smaller SSD C:\

i found 20 GB of data under:
C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Warframe\Downloaded\Public\Cache.Windows

i tried to delete it but the game redownloads them ...

i dedicated my big D:\ HDD to install and Play the game on at Installation ... why is it now tanking my C:\ SSD instead ???

i wont be able to Play anymore if it keeps Dumping important files on my C:\ SSD !!

is there a way to circumvent this ?? SSDs are not really that cheap to begin with and my Setup is quiet common (non mixed main OS on C:\ and the rest classic big HDDs)

7 answers to this question

this is because your appdata is on the C drive. warframe (and a lot of other programs) absolutely HAVE to have some files in the appdata. if you know how to work with computers, you can change the location of the appdata in the registry. but i would advice against doing that if you dont know how it works because messing with your registry can brick your entire pc.

i had the same problem but the other way around. i have recently purchased an SSD because my harddrive was too slow to run warframe. what ensued was a 3 month long struggle with the support staff and eventualy figuring out where it was going wrong and fixing that by moving the appdata to my SSD. 

how big exactly is your SSD? because its better to keep stuff like warframe on an SSD for faster file loading.

18 minutes ago, SupremeDutchGamer said:

i have recently purchased an SSD because my harddrive was too slow to run warframe.

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that any drive short of a pre-1GB ceiling IDE would have any appreciable performance drop.

23 minutes ago, AzureFang1 said:

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that any drive short of a pre-1GB ceiling IDE would have any appreciable performance drop.

thats what i thought as well.... its maximum random read is like 1.5MB/s... which is WAY to slow for loading textures... (its a crappy no name drive that came in a prebuillt)

51 minutes ago, SupremeDutchGamer said:

this is because your appdata is on the C drive. warframe (and a lot of other programs) absolutely HAVE to have some files in the appdata. if you know how to work with computers, you can change the location of the appdata in the registry. but i would advice against doing that if you dont know how it works because messing with your registry can brick your entire pc.

i had the same problem but the other way around. i have recently purchased an SSD because my harddrive was too slow to run warframe. what ensued was a 3 month long struggle with the support staff and eventualy figuring out where it was going wrong and fixing that by moving the appdata to my SSD. 

how big exactly is your SSD? because its better to keep stuff like warframe on an SSD for faster file loading.

my ssd only has around 100 GB .. this one game literally eats 20%  if i was forced to Play all my games on an SSD i Need like 8-12 SSDs to be honest .. i cant afford that Kind of Money

Edited by Severuslanskerr

Got to love these forums. The only post actually trying to help in the Players Helping Players section gets ignored, even by the OP.

Instead everyone wants to discuss the merits of SSD vs HDD, and no one else considers checking their Appdata folder to help show the OP that something is wrong, and that a 20Gb download cache is not normal... oh well.

12 hours ago, Egg_Chen said:

Well, I have Warframe on D and Windows on C, and I can tell you the size of the Downloaded folder on mine is 1.12Mb. The whole Warframe folder in Appdata is only 7Mb.

Something seems wrong!

thanks that is my guess aswell ... i still dont know why thought or how to solve this ...

also i just noticed that i CANT move my Halo Wars 2 appdata from C:\ either..  i installed it on K:\  and also has data on C:\   lol why is everything forcing itself on my small ssd and with such huge files .. my HDDs and SSDs are NOT SHARED (each Hardware HDD/SSD got ist single Partition) .. they are physically and digitally completely seperated  i just wanted the ssd for Windows nothing much else...  

Edited by Severuslanskerr