Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best Melee weapon for me?

(XBOX)D34thst41ker

Question

I have Atterax, and it's pretty good, but I've gotten the impression that in order to use it to full effectiveness, you need to be spamming Slide attacks. I find it difficult to hit with slide attacks. Sure, the Atterax's exceptional range helps some, but overall, I have trouble hitting with Slide attacks. I'm also not any good with the Combos; about the only thing I can do is a Block combo, and only by holding Block constantly while also hammering B. I'm wondering if there is another weapon that would be better when just hammering B than the Atterax. Would Atterax still be good, or would something else perform better for me?

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)D34thst41ker said:

I have Atterax, and it's pretty good, but I've gotten the impression that in order to use it to full effectiveness, you need to be spamming Slide attacks. I find it difficult to hit with slide attacks. Sure, the Atterax's exceptional range helps some, but overall, I have trouble hitting with Slide attacks. I'm also not any good with the Combos; about the only thing I can do is a Block combo, and only by holding Block constantly while also hammering B. I'm wondering if there is another weapon that would be better when just hammering B than the Atterax. Would Atterax still be good, or would something else perform better for me?

Cool, you get a +1 for not making a click-bait title and asking for a weapon that suits your play-style rather than "whats the most op?!" ;-)

So the Top Choice has already been presented (Galatine Prime).

If you're interested there are a few other weapons that work really well with the "Hold Block/RMB stance Combo" as well as a few that work really well as simply unequipped Quick Attack melee weapons.
*RMB is Right Mouse Button, I see you're probably on X-box, i don't know what button that translates to {Right Trigger?!}, but you know it's Block so we should be good there. ;-)

Strong RMB/R-Trigger/Hold Block stance Combos:
Tempo Royale -(Galatine/Prime, War)  -{mismatched polarity: Scindo/Prime, Zenistar}
Blind Justice (Nikanas)
Crimson Dervish, Vengeful Revenant (Broken War)
Crushing Ruin (Fragor Prime, Jat Kittag);   -Shattering Storm{mismatched polarity)
Gaia's Tragedy (Tekko)
Four Riders, Malicious Raptor, Vermilion Storm (Venka Prime)
Vulpine Mask (Destreza)
Defiled Snapdragon (Mios, Lacera)
Atlantis Vulcan (Ninkondi)

Ok now here are a few that work wonderfully when you only use them as a Quick Attack melee weapon:
Brutal Tide (Hirudo)
Shimmering Blight (Lesion, Orthos Prime, Vaykor Sydon, Tonbo)
-with these weapons, I so much prefer to use the Quick melee over the stances that if I take them for Melee only I'll equip my Scanner so that it's still quick melee by default, haha

OK so I hope that helps to give you some more options and know which weapons with their stances should be a good and fun fit for you, while also all being pretty effective.
;-)

Cheers!
~R~

8 hours ago, (Xbox One)Ginger Bruhv said:

Nikana Prime, Galatine Prime, Jat Kittag (meme), and that's all I enjoy using.

^

Besides the meme thing, Jat Kittag's Vulkan Blitz mod is a pretty darn strong addiction to your melee, doing 60%(!) of the targets max health as aoe on kill. This paired with pretty good damage, Cc and easy, fast combos makes it worth the pick.

If you got access to Crimson dervish, consider using Broken War too. 

Works relatively good on raw/crit damage focused builds due to the 3x stance multipliers on most combos.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

And...just on a sidenote. Do not underrestimate slide attacks, especially not if you got access to maiming strike.

That mod essencially counts similar to True steel, adding static 90% crit to slides.You know how blood rush usually calculates off your .... what is it? 36% boosted crit chance? It Calculates off 126% if you use Maiming on slides.

Using P Reach and Maiming on a Atterax makes your life pretty darn easy.

9 hours ago, (Xbox One)D34thst41ker said:

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

6 hours ago, (PS4)CoolD2108 said:

And...just on a sidenote. Do not underrestimate slide attacks, especially not if you got access to maiming strike.

That mod essencially counts similar to True steel, adding static 90% crit to slides.You know how blood rush usually calculates off your .... what is it? 36% boosted crit chance? It Calculates off 126% if you use Maiming on slides.

Using P Reach and Maiming on a Atterax makes your life pretty darn easy.

I never said that the Atterax is bad; I said I'm bad with the Atterax. I understand why and how Atterax is good, but for me, Slide attacks are hit-and-miss. I'm not good at judging distance for them, so after performing them, I have to turn around and see if I hit the enemy; if they're still up, I have to move away, turn around, then attempt another Slide attack and hope that I hit with that one. I've actually missed with the Atterax, despite it's phenomenal range!

Honestly, what made me realize that I wasn't using the Atterax correctly were a couple of Survival runs. First one was with Venka Prime (I hadn't used them in a while). Ten minutes, got my Melee Combo Counter to just over 100, and saw nothing but Red Crits. It was great. Second one was with Atterax. Twenty minutes, Melee Combo Counter of over 800, and I was still seeing mostly Yellow Crits. Made realize that something was wrong with how I was using the weapon.

Anyway, if I can get the Jat Kittag's augment mod, I'll give it another go (I leveled one up in the past, but didn't have it's augment). Until then, I figure the Galatine Prime will have the best combination of damage, range, and ease-of-use. In terms of mods, I'm thinking Primed Pressure Point, Primed Reach, Blood Rush, Body Count, Organ Shatter, and Life Strike. The last two slots I'm up in the air about. Two 90% elements seems solid, but is there something better I could d? Weeping Wounds and Drifting Contact would boost the Status chance, but is Status worth using with this weapon, or would it be better to just hit them again with another Red crit?

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)D34thst41ker said:

Two 90% elements seems solid, but is there something better I could d? Weeping Wounds and Drifting Contact would boost the Status chance, but is Status worth using with this weapon, or would it be better to just hit them again with another Red crit?

Yep. Definitly worth using. Especially as Slash status directly benefits from Crits (and stealth multipliers.).. The elements sure gonna participate a bit but not as much as the slash status would, plus, Physical status got 4x higher odds to procc status in the first place so chance is that they'll not gonna do much. I'd recommend Berserker for the last spot and consider replacing Primed Reach with True steel... All of the better heavy blade stances got a bit of momentum on theyr combos, what gives you access to movement as range...Nothing done wrong with just going for full slash damage.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108