Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bleeding Health Is Not Fun

ParadigmFallen

So, I started up a random Capture mission from Mercury (I'm still getting back into the feel for playing the game) and discovered that, for some reason, without my consent, the game was draining my health and only restored it when I either found orbs or killed enemies. It didn't stop at a certain amount, it just kept draining and draining until I finally had used up all of my revives trying to complete a simple capture mission.

I imagine if someone was a fast moving, meele/close combat type like Excalibre, they'd be fine. A sniping Volt like me, however, does not. As a result it was a purely aggravating experience.

You entered a mission that was in Nightmare mode, which should have been indicated by a skull on the mission icon. It's a mode to give more challenge to players. All I can say is keep an eye out for them next time.

Nightmare missions usually have wave countdowns, timers that add more time as you kill enemies, or vampire missions where you have to kill in order to keep your health up. Nightmare missions are marked with a skull directly on the mission node on the map. I find the vampire mission the most fun of all of them, too. Oh and you can get special mods from Nightmare missions.

Edited by Rickman108

Honestly, I can't see how your playstyle or frame type was the reason you died.  Now if you were using really low level unmodded weapons and frame, that could be an issue, but as the others mentioned, nightmare missions are marked on the map so make sure you pick an adequate gear set before attempting them.

You only need to kill an enemy every 10 seconds to cancel out the hp drain (you lose 1.5% a second and gain 15% for a kill).  There is absolutely no reason a sniper carefully progressing through a level wouldn't easily kill that many... unless as I said above, you are using super low level stuff and it is taking you several sniper rounds to kill every single guy.

Vampire mode is for the most part the easiest mode in the game (provided your gear is appropriate level for the planet you picked) because you can get constantly healed the entire time.  On other missions, your only heals are the rare and trivially small health orbs, trinity, or getting picked up by an ally.  If solo and not trinity, your only heals are the health balls which don't heal much at all, and maybe its just me, but it makes me play fairly conservatively because the hp damage is more permanent and I don't want to waste revives if I get knocked down doing something careless.

Edited by Sesshou01

"Unfun" is the word I use to describe constantly dying.  If I wanted that, I'd just go spend a few months staring at a mirror (even less if I didn't eat or drink anything).  Didn't we move past the "constant health damage as a game mechanic" YEARS AGO?  I understand it IF I'M ON FIRE (or in a pool of acid, etc.), but it's just BS to be dying for no reason.  What, did the Warframes develop some kind of horrible debilitating disease when I wasn't looking?

Retro bad ideas are retro, but they're also BAD IDEAS

Edited by Cytobel

To be honest I believe that both modes should be available, but Hard Mode be much like how Alert Missions are set up : Just a tad above that you can see both the normal node for the mission, and its Hard Mode variant.

I definitely see that Hard Mode switches from place to place, but a newbie playing in Mercury and stuck playing against rank 30 Grineer? In a rank 0~10 planet? That's where I see the problem. That and sometimes I don't want to play on Hard Mode like when I want to farm Ferrite on M Prime, but alas I'm unable to because it's set in Hard Mode to which I risk some kind of challenge like vampirism and low gravity. All I want to do is bust open chests and collect loot!