Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Linux Game Port

Lookayefer

Hey!

So, I run Ubuntu as my main operating system. I love playing Warframe with my friends, but I find it very frustrating that I need to dual boot Windows to play with them. As I already said, I love this game and plan on playing a lot. Something that would make the experience a lot less tedious and more fun, would be a linux port for the game.

I'm sure a lot of other people who run linux are interested in this game as well, I feel like it'd be worth it in the long run.

My question or recommended feedback:

Will there ever be a linux port for Warframe? If so, any ETA available?

7 minutes ago, Lookayefer said:

I'm sure a lot of other people who run linux are interested in this game as well, I feel like it'd be worth it in the long run.

There are not that many people running Linux, that want to play Warframe and are waiting for the Linux-Port.

Something like that just eats up DE's money without getting them that much more money in return.
So it's likely no going to happen.

Well, this may be true when comparing to the likes of Windows/Consoles.  However, I too would love to see a native Linux client of this game as I found it very enjoyable on Windows, but I now run Arch Linux.  I have my reasons for switching, but my logic is as such; If certain games never come to Linux, then individuals will not switch if they play said game.  This is also true when a dev studio developing their title looks at the market, and when centered on "which market will grant me the most reward for my title", will undoubtedly be Windows on the PC platform.  What I am really trying to say is if it isn't for some individuals making the switch and thus leading the charge as it were, then games will still only be built for Windows as a general rule.  My opinion is that it would be nice to have games like Warframe on Linux thus bringing over the player base that are actually thinking of switching OS's and/or not being pressured to remain on Windows if they don't want to. :)  I for one would like the choice.

I would definitely switch to Linux on my laptop if Warframe was on it with a native port because that's the only game I play on it now. It's rather old (6 years old as of now) and can't keep up with new games anymore so I mainly migrated to my decent desktop rig for the most part but since I go in between cities a lot the laptop remained my secondary station.

Edited by Momo93

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-20 at 5:42 PM, Momo93 said:

I would definitely switch to Linux on my laptop if Warframe was on it with a native port because that's the only game I play on it now.

²

It's a cool game but, needing to have windows(or to play using Wine).... I don't know if it's so necessary at this point....

Also, this game has been ported to PS4, it wouldn't be that hard/expensive to port to Linux.

• 1 month later...

Dual-booting Windows is not something newer Linux users think about doing and using Wine cuts performance (exponentially for some people). A pure Linux build would definitely spread this game even further and continue to push the Linux gaming movement.

Even though I've never been a game dev, I could see no reason to not make Linux port.

21 hours ago, The_NSA_Agent said:

Dual-booting Windows is not something newer Linux users think about doing and using Wine cuts performance (exponentially for some people). A pure Linux build would definitely spread this game even further and continue to push the Linux gaming movement.

Even though I've never been a game dev, I could see no reason to not make Linux port.

agree

• 3 weeks later...

2017 is the year of Linux on Desktop(almost)

Warframe should port to Linux, look at SteamOS and all the new shiny tech like Vulkan,

SteamOS can basically turn a PC into a console so maybe gaming in Linux will get more attention.

There are complex games on Steam that run great on Linux (really! try them),

(Directx may include the Vulkan API at some point now with all the OSS love that Microsoft has)

Porting to Linux basically means porting to macOS aswell. and expect games on this platforms to become more popular

and who knows maybe another PC OS made just for gaming would popup in the near future

so DE may want to consider (probably already doing) about working on a more cross-platform direction in the future.

I'm sure i am not the only one that just dual-boots to windows ONLY to play Warframe.

Problem is my Windows7 is pretty broken and the key won't be valid with my new PC (cause OEM and S#&$)

so Linux is basically my only OS and i'm not paying for the Windows10 monster.

i throw money at Warframe regularly (don't tell anyone) cause it's an AWESOME game

but it would be an awesome game i can't play so no more $$.

On 6/8/2017 at 3:28 AM, elpeleq42 said:

Also, this game has been ported to PS4, it wouldn't be that hard/expensive to port to Linux.

Wrong, PS4 has DirectX so it was a pretty straight forward port, porting to Linux would require for an entirely new graphics API to be implemented.

• 1 month later...