Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why are these scanning missions so poorly done when they're a part of progressing?

True_Naeblis

First I had to go back and drop the daily, then run solo, then run solo multiple times to get all three of the initial Cephalon scans in. There's no reason three couldn't pop in one mission considering that it's story being completed. Now I'm on Uranus.

Five missions with melee; cool, it's boring but doable.

Find three caches. Yay, even more tedium, but I had a full squad so we found all three in I guess what was a reasonable amount of time.

I've been trying to get the scans to start Natah for three missions now. On the first I had no idea what what I was looking for looked like, but I did know the screen would flash. Flashed, but they appeared only for a moment on a walkway and were gone before I even had the scanner out. The second run--exterminate, so yay for swimming everywhere in the horrid, forsaken submersible mess--I keep hearing the sounds but the targets never showed up. The third run nada, a rescue, same thing.

This is not fun. I don't mind grind; I can deal with relic farms and Trace farms and all that, I can deal with killing bosses for drops knowing it's RNG to get them. What frustrates me beyond sanity, though, is having to farm missions again and again and again because of poorly designed mechanics. Players should not be stuck in place on STORY content because things don't fall their way. I can't even run with a group because apparently the targets can be scared off by other players before you get to them.

Why is it so hard to make something using the scanning mechanic a change of pace from kill everything on the screen without throwing in design that can make it so freaking tedious? Hours trying to get this garbage done so I can continue in the game. From what a clan mate tells me I would have been better off getting my last part for Helios Prime as he autoscans them and it would have been a much more effective use of my time.

The worst part of all is that without outside resources I'd have no idea what might help. When looking at the codex all it says is "scan drones in the Grineer Sea Lab". No description of them, no explanation of the screen effect when they're near, nothing. I get needing outside resources for some of what's a part of the game, but story should not be so bass ackwards.

Edited by True_Naeblis

You are practically guaranteed to find them just by playing through Uranus, which you need to do to progress in this game anyways. I trip over them every third run on Uranus since they appear very regularly. And Hours? Thats nothing. Working to get some of the other quests unlocked takes several days since you actually have to get to them to access them to begin with, or level up your MR. Lastly, the flash of the screen is enough on its own to tell you something is up, but you also get the sound change and the lighting change to tell you something different is going on. That should be enough to inform any player " Hey, something is going on here."

1 minute ago, NeithanDiniem said:

You are practically guaranteed to find them just by playing through Uranus, which you need to do to progress in this game anyways. I trip over them every third run on Uranus since they appear very regularly. And Hours? Thats nothing. Working to get some of the other quests unlocked takes several days since you actually have to get to them to access them to begin with, or level up your MR. Lastly, the flash of the screen is enough on its own to tell you something is up, but you also get the sound change and the lighting change to tell you something different is going on. That should be enough to inform any player " Hey, something is going on here."

Okay, so again, explain to me how grinding the same areas again and again for something that is poorly explained in game and is requires circling around all over the map and happening to be in the right locations qualifies as good design or as fun. There's nothing enjoy able about this. I'm stuck in this zone until it pops up and there's nothing that I can do to make it work in a straightforward way. As I said, I've had the screen flash on multiple runs and despite checking nearby there's nothing. I wish people would stop white knighting so hard for poor game design. This is straight &#!.

Just now, Elvangreen said:

Go stealth, don't shoot them, and unequip your sentinel weapon.

I have Rhino, Excal, and Nekros Prime. I don't want to spend plat or grind another frame just to scan some NPCs. I may just go with what my clan mate mentioned and get the last Helios piece and come back to this after its crafted.

2 minutes ago, True_Naeblis said:

I have Rhino, Excal, and Nekros Prime. I don't want to spend plat or grind another frame just to scan some NPCs. I may just go with what my clan mate mentioned and get the last Helios piece and come back to this after its crafted.

stealth just means use a silenced weapon and not let enemies set off alarms. you can easily do it with any frame. helios wont help if you don't have time to scan them yourself, its hands-free scanning rather than improved scanning, and actually a bit slower then doing it yourself.

Edited by Elvangreen

Just now, True_Naeblis said:

Okay, so again, explain to me how grinding the same areas again and again for something that is poorly explained in game and is requires circling around all over the map and happening to be in the right locations qualifies as good design or as fun. There's nothing enjoy able about this. I'm stuck in this zone until it pops up and there's nothing that I can do to make it work in a straightforward way. As I said, I've had the screen flash on multiple runs and despite checking nearby there's nothing. I wish people would stop white knighting so hard for poor game design. This is straight &#!.

Probably because first of all this entire game is about looking for things and working for it, secondly you have to complete Uranus at some point to progress the game, thirdly the game very clearly tells you when they are around, and fourthly if you are going about the missions in a rushed way, you very much could be completely missing them because you arent paying attention. I wish people would stop wanting things delivered to them on a diamond studded platinum platter with gold inlay and instead actually figure things out. God forbid someone gives you a NES, where they didn't tell you jack.

You dont need a special frame to go stealth, every frame can avoid running around shooting the high moon while the alarms are tripped. All it takes is a hush mod and no sentinel weapon equipped with focus on melee takedowns whenever the opportunity presents itself.

14 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Probably because first of all this entire game is about looking for things and working for it, secondly you have to complete Uranus at some point to progress the game, thirdly the game very clearly tells you when they are around, and fourthly if you are going about the missions in a rushed way, you very much could be completely missing them because you arent paying attention. I wish people would stop wanting things delivered to them on a diamond studded platinum platter with gold inlay and instead actually figure things out. God forbid someone gives you a NES, where they didn't tell you jack.

You dont need a special frame to go stealth, every frame can avoid running around shooting the high moon while the alarms are tripped. All it takes is a hush mod and no sentinel weapon equipped with focus on melee takedowns whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Did you read what I said? The screen is flashing, the sound is there, but I look around with the scanner and there are no drones. I have seen them once, and unfortunately they floated away before I had the scanner out because I had no idea what I was looking for. Since then, nada. I'm not rushing through the missions. I've taken my time listening for the sound and trying to scan once the screen flashes.

I don't want anything handed to me. Did you read above? I've put in the grind for Rhino, Nekros, Saryn and Ash on the way, and a number of weapons. I've ground out mats for my forma and ground out mods. I have no issue with the grind. I have issue with being stuck in place because of poor design, period.

Edited by True_Naeblis

@NeithanDiniem I'm looking around with the scanner right after the flash and there's nothing. I check the nearby area and nothing. No, there are no nearby dead Grineer most of the time. I'm not sure why you took the approach you did with this; if you're having to ask me about all these specific conditions, none of which are explained in the game and which can easily vary depending on where the mission starts and what frame a person is running, it's just not well done. This just really isn't fun. I've opened all the nodes on Uranus. Getting these scans is all that's keeping me from progressing, and there's no reliable way for me to do it. I've explained it every way that I know how at this point. If you want to offer assistance that might help me get through I'm all ears. If you still think I'm being lazy or what have you then you can just leave me to drown in the misery that is this mission.

7 minutes ago, True_Naeblis said:

@NeithanDiniem I'm looking around with the scanner right after the flash and there's nothing. I check the nearby area and nothing. No, there are no nearby dead Grineer most of the time. I'm not sure why you took the approach you did with this; if you're having to ask me about all these specific conditions, none of which are explained in the game and which can easily vary depending on where the mission starts and what frame a person is running, it's just not well done. This just really isn't fun. I've opened all the nodes on Uranus. Getting these scans is all that's keeping me from progressing, and there's no reliable way for me to do it. I've explained it every way that I know how at this point. If you want to offer assistance that might help me get through I'm all ears. If you still think I'm being lazy or what have you then you can just leave me to drown in the misery that is this mission.

No, what frame you play and where you start is completely and entirely irrelevant, No idea what gave you the impression those had anything to do with the drones appearing. Whomever told you that is full of it. When you see the flash and the sound plays, you would typically be headed towards the "goal" or main objective marker of the mission. Keep heading in the direction you were going and typically in the next room or the one after you should find dead Grineer and the drones scanning the bodies. Taking too long to get there can result in the drones flying off, would take 30 seconds or more though at the least. Ive never encountered the drones in any out-of-the-way path from the mission goal, and typically can find them every 3-4 runs. I recommend running the Exterminates as they are reliable for a singular path forward without anything that could go wrong for mission failure, and are fairly quick to complete. If you would rather have assistance with the runs I could offer my help for that for a while.