Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gamepad. Double Binding. Simple Right?

Raptor_ODonnell

So, just like the keyboard, allow for double assignment of gamepad keys, if possible. Because I'm gettin real sick of having to go back to my keyboard to unlock doors and open containers.

And for the keyboard junkies, I know keyboard's the better play style. My keyboard sucks and I'm getting carpal tunnel. So I need a gamepad.

I've tried using third party programs like xpadder. And I'v configured xinput. But to do double assinging I have to use both at once, and I keep BSODing  and crashing the game client because of it. 

they do need to improve the controls when using a controller. Anything you can do on a keyboard, you need to be able to do on a controller.

Right now some menus can be operated with a controller, but not all of them.

Best I can tell theres no way to use items on a controller, though you can open the item window, what good is that?

You cant change view point(LT+Sprint would work)

you cant use a hacking tool in the hacking mini game.

They also really need an option to increase the dead zone of an analog stick, my left stick tilts ever so slightly(as an old xbox controller is wont to do) making so I am always slightly walking forward. this can be fixed with very little work on the part of DE.

And for the inevitable people who may say "well you shouldn't be using a controller anyway"

That sentiment don't fly when they are talking about putting this game on a console, they need to get on the ball for this kinda stuff.

Personally I'm using a 360 wired controller and the only quirk I have is that I want to be able to hold down to sprint, but at the same time I want to be able to roll. Trying to hold down Sprint while clicking in left thumbstick gets painful while trying to navigate through things so I had to reassign sprint to Left Bumper. Decent trade off but sadly it's throwing me off from other games that don't have this much in flexibility.

Current setup is :

A : Jump
B : Reload
X : Use/Open Doors/Lockers

Y Switch Weapons

Left Trigger : Aim

Right Trigger : Fire

Left Bumper : Hold - Sprint/Press - Roll

Right Bumper : Melee

Back Button : Set Waypoint

DPad -
 UP/LEFT/DOWN/RIGHT : Powers 1/2/4/3 respectively

Right thumbstick (clicked in) : Crouch/Slide while sprinting

I love this setup and have had no issues with it. Maybe this might help you.

"Anything you can do on a keyboard, you need to be able to do on a controller."

And that'd be why gaming in general "forgot" how to lean, or go prone, or in many games, even crouch, as consoles became more of a dominant force in the gaming market...

Urgh.

My general disgust at the dumbing down force of consoles and their gamepads aside, I think you guys should keep the faith and hold out - Warframe is hitting PS4, right?

You gotta assume that when that happens, DE will also figure out better gamepad controls for the PC version.

And that'd be why gaming in general "forgot" how to lean, or go prone, or in many games, even crouch, as consoles became more of a dominant force in the gaming market...

Urgh.

My general disgust at the dumbing down force of consoles and their gamepads aside, I think you guys should keep the faith and hold out - Warframe is hitting PS4, right?

You gotta assume that when that happens, DE will also figure out better gamepad controls for the PC version.

And yet several console games have found ways to have all of those moves....

Personally I despise having to hold down a stick to sprint, the way the game is set up now, I can have it so I only have to click the stick to toggle it, but this isn't an official option.

If roll/sprint isn't bound on the controller tab, and toggle sprint is bound to a key on the keyboard, the LS only has to be clicked once to turn on the run state. Not sure why this is the case.

I would quit playing if I couldn't have sprint be a toggle button for the controller.

Now on to the idea that the controller and the console has dumbed down gaming, I don't exactly believe this to be the case.

I could type out a long argument to debate this idea, but this post was made to talk about an enhancement to the controls of the game(which the gamepad is a part of), not to debate the legitimacy of the controller in the medium.

Or how the landscape of gaming as a whole has change over the last 30 years for better or worse.

holy crud nuggets for the last time use motionjoy

For the last time. Motion joy doesn't register my controller. It hasn't for over 3 years. It's never GOING to work with motionjoy. I've spent literal months roaming forums and such trying to figure out a way to do that. No dice. So your response is invalid and pretty ill administered. Look before you make yourself look like a jerk next time. Have a nice day. 

Look guys, I do prefer to use a keyboard on some games. Most games really. Even this one. But my keyboard+mouse+desk are just not set up for long hours of gaming. So a controller is better suited for long hours of play.

All I'm asking for is to be able to double bind a key. Not start an argument over which controller is better, or a console war.

Urgh.

First of all.... what? No, the reason why those features were forgotten is because game designers obviously don't have an intensive to throw it in. Sre they could that. Why though? Games get played perfectly fine without them. HOWEVER, Killzone 3 has lean and peek system, albeit in the actual game mode. So did Gears.

And in a sense, you can kinda play Warframe that way as well. I do. Peeking over railings, then using the reload button to force myself back into the normal haunch. Using the camera switch to get different results around corners. So I see that point invalid.

And I want to ask what exactly has been dumbed down? A lot of console games still have all those features and the pull them off fluidly. Also, considering that you can plug in keyboards and mice to consoles, whose to say that you couldn't play console games with mouse and keyboard?

So again, I don't see you point justifiable.

Sure, gamers have gotten stupider. Proven fact. But, games have gotten easier. Again, proven fact. [Look up "New Gamer's can't beat original Mario level 1"]

Finally, I'm not asking for a freaking mind blowing option that changes the game as a whole. I just want to be able to double bind. Even referencing that it's going to come out on Ps4, we all know that the basic setup is gonna be something along the lines of my current setup.

A : Jump

B : Crouch[Toggle for me]

X : Reload + Use/Open Doors/Lockers[How I want to set my controller up]

Y Switch Weapons

Left Trigger : Aim

Right Trigger : Fire

Left Bumper : Block [Yes. I actually use Block. And it has come in handy in pinches] 

Right Bumper : Reverse Camera

Back Button : Set Waypoint 

DPad - UP/LEFT/DOWN/RIGHT : Powers 1/2/4/3 respectively

Right thumbstick (clicked in) : Melee

This is my personal set up, but it's intuitive and utilizes everything the game has to offer. Including the rarely used block.

So why all the fuss? Seriously? It's a game. Let gamers game. If DE wants to throw this in. Awesome. If not, then at least I said something. I don't see why gamepad users get harped on when some people want to literally turn the game into Metal Gear Solid-esque in some of these threads. 

For the last time. Motion joy doesn't register my controller. It hasn't for over 3 years. It's never GOING to work with motionjoy. I've spent literal months roaming forums and such trying to figure out a way to do that. No dice. So your response is invalid and pretty ill administered. Look before you make yourself look like a jerk next time. Have a nice day. 

I dunno about him but MotioninJoy only works with the PS3 controllers AFAIK.

Edited by matrixEXO

Well, techincally, my controller IS a ps3 controller. It's a Gamestop Wired Afterglow ps3 controller. But it doesn't work at all. Runs great with x360ce though. Weird huh?

Indeed. Guessing a "modded" version of a PS3 controller doesn't work (since a PS3 controller has both BT and wired support and assumption is that it uses the BT interface, regardless of being wired or wireless, to directly link with the controller). Gonna stop here, no point side-stepping this topic. Edited by matrixEXO

Indeed. Guessing a "modded" version of a PS3 controller doesn't work (since a PS3 controller has both BT and wired support and assumption is that it uses the BT interface, regardless of being wired or wireless, to directly link with the controller). Gonna stop here, no point side-stepping this topic.

Nope. totally wired. No BT capability at all.