Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Research As Part Of The Lore

LxLawliet

So I was standing in the bio lab in the dojo, not thinking about evil schemes or anything of sorts, when I suddenly asked myself how the labs are correlating with each other, what they represent and how they fit into the (non-existant) lore.

It's obvious for everyone that bio lab represents Infested, Energy Lab represents Corpus and Chem Lab represents Grineer. What I'd love - in bold letters - to see is the possibility to not only research weapons, but also the "lore", meaning the history of the Corpus, the Grineer and the Infested (along with the Technocyte Plague).

Said research can be done by doing missions ("in the name of science"), solving puzzles (pieces of information which must be aligned accordingly), or researching, for Infested, the Technocyte Virus (molecular and atomic structure, proteins, adaption to environment, symptoms, effects, ...).

There is no direct benefit, like weapons, mods or new techniques, it's just part of the overall lore - and it would definitely give an incentive to research beyond weapons like the Acrid etc.

Feedback is welcome, haters gonna hate, though.

So I was standing in the bio lab in the dojo, not thinking about evil schemes or anything of sorts, when I suddenly asked myself how the labs are correlating with each other, what they represent and how they fit into the (non-existant) lore.

It's obvious for everyone that bio lab represents Infested, Energy Lab represents Corpus and Chem Lab represents Grineer. What I'd love - in bold letters - to see is the possibility to not only research weapons, but also the "lore", meaning the history of the Corpus, the Grineer and the Infested (along with the Technocyte Plague).

Said research can be done by doing missions ("in the name of science"), solving puzzles (pieces of information which must be aligned accordingly), or researching, for Infested, the Technocyte Virus (molecular and atomic structure, proteins, adaption to environment, symptoms, effects, ...).

There is no direct benefit, like weapons, mods or new techniques, it's just part of the overall lore - and it would definitely give an incentive to research beyond weapons like the Acrid etc.

Feedback is welcome, haters gonna hate, though.

I like the concept, and while the lore would be incentive enough for the hardcore loremasters, there does need to be some sort of incentive.

Like an achievement system, as in other MMOs, said achievements could tag on player titles with additional buffs, or clan benefits.

I like the idea of unlocking the lore, but the idea of using materials to make them seems iffy to me.

Have to agree here. There are enough material sinks as is.

I like the idea of unlocking the lore, but the idea of using materials to make them seems iffy to me.

You don't have to use materials - as I said, it could either be done by doing missions or with information which must be decoded or pieced together. One thing can lead to another, too. The only material you would have to use for researching the Infested are Plastids, Nano Spores and Mutagen Samples - but that's just another thought I'm throwing in.

Like an achievement system, as in other MMOs, said achievements could tag on player titles with additional buffs, or clan benefits.

Buffs I can think of would affect enemies - like, disclosing enough information about Grineer will reveal potential weak spots in their armor, thus increasing damage output. Would be one way of giving the lore research an additional incentive.

Edited by InfinitexL

Make it a dojo-based minigame system, perhaps. For completing puzzle A or some such thing, progress is made towards unlocking a segment of related lore. Would give a reason to actually be in the clan hall besides dumping resources into research or rooms for about 5 seconds.