Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Level 30 Frost Build

demonzand

Question

20 answers to this question

The most important question is, how you want to play it?

I've seen build that only have 1 frost skill (Snow globe), have seem other where you have all 4, other you just got 2 or 3.

It makes all the difference, but basically is: (my setup)

Freeze

Snow Globe

Ice Wave

Avalanche

Redirection

Flow

Streamline

Stretch

Fast Deflection

Something else

Supercharged or not?

You'll want skills 3 and 4. Priorities are, in this order: shields, power max, power range, power efficiency, power damage and whatever else you want. I always get Rush.

Edited by krisp

Frost's 4 abilities - all maxed

Streamline - max

Continuity - max

Constituion - max

Stretch - max

Redirection - rank 6

Vitality - rank 6

Bare in mind you will need an aura mod in there to give you enough points.

EDIT: MIne is a Prime, so i have an extra mod slot, might effect this set-up for non-primes

Edited by Shifty_Shuffler

Frost's 4 abilities - all maxed

Streamline - max

Continuity - max

Constituion - max

Stretch - max

Redirection - rank 6

Vitality - rank 6

Bare in mind you will need an aura mod in there to give you enough points.

EDIT: MIne is a Prime, so i have an extra mod slot, might effect this set-up for non-primes

thanks im gonna try this one but I think i have to remove the first skill because I do not use it too much. Do you really think theres no need for fast deflection? by the way im also hunting for frost prime :)

Edited by demonzand

Assuming your future Frost Prime is supercharged:

2nvj.png

Yeah, he's only Level 29, but my mod capacity is enough to fit most of the mods I really want, even without the aura. I do not use Stretch (though I do have a Rank 4 verison of it) because I believe that increasing the size of Snow Globe is unnecessary. I only put Flow on Rank 4 since I share common mods with Warframes. As long as you're in the Snow Globe, you are invincible, which mean Fast Deflection is a luxury. Rush is also another luxury mod since I'm comfortable with most of the Warframe's base minimum and maximum run speeds.

I don't bother with Vitality- I go for Armour over that, especially with his Aurora helmet- you get a really nice boost to your armour from it.

I like all 4 abilities- they all have their uses, I find (even Freeze, rare as it is).

Definitely Power damage, efficiency, max and probably duration, though Snowglobe I think lasts long enough even at lowest level.

Weapons are also a part of a build, though- I prefer semi-auto main guns for picking off enemies when you've Globed up, and a close-range secondary, along with a Fragor or other heavy weapon- you're slow and tanky, so having a heavy weapon will take advantage of that.  You want stun and cold damage on the weapon as well as the other obvious mods, to further decrease your intake of dps- that along with a shield recharge mod can often let your shields start regenning to a pretty nice level in the middle of combat, and with high Armour, those shields don't go down that quickly.

Armor increases "effective HP" by reducing incoming damage done to health, so it has no effect on shields (except for that short time when Steel Fiber was bugged to affect shields). The equation for damage mitigated by armor is:

Final damage = Initial damage [100/(Armor + 100)] 

This presents a problem; the higher percentage value you go, the lower the "effective HP" gain. Let's say I had 100 base armor, which cuts down damage done to HP by 50%. Then I add a Rank 4 Steel Fiber, which boosts my armor by 50%. Now I have 150 base armor, cutting down damage done to HP by 60%, which is a measly 10% gain. Even if I added a Rank 10 Steel Fiber, it only cuts down damage done to HP by 67.7%!

If I added the Aurora helmet (which gives a Frost +25% armor for -5% HP), then you only gain a 65% damage reduction towards HP. Because a Frost already has an initial 60% damage reduction from his initial 150 armor, the "effective HP" gain from the extra armor is 5%:

(0.95) (1.05) = 0.9975, or 99.75% (i.e. you lose 0.25% of your "effective HP" when wearing the Aurora helmet)

This means that Vitality is the best method of increasing "effective HP", and the Aurora helmet is useless in practice.

As you level Snow Globe, you can slow down enemies more when they enter the globe. It's rather pointless when you can use the remaining mod energy for adding and/or upgrading other mods (unless you have more than enough mod energy).

Maximum Flow, Streamline, Continuity, and Constitution are vital for a Frost. You don't necessarily need power damage when you can spam your abilities more and you have limited slot space. Continuity and Constitution together make a Snow Globe last 58% longer for a total of 47.4 seconds, a 17.4 second gain. These extra seconds mean that you burn less energy and you "baby-sit" the cryopod/artifact less often.

I won't breach the topic of weaponry for now; everyone has their own preferences and play styles.

Edited by ChaoticVice777

Abilities:

- Snow Globe is pretty much a must. Max rank makes it useful against infested thanks to the improved slow effect. But if you only care for blocking bullets, the unranked version technically suffice.

- Avalanche is the next in line. It's a good AOE ability that has the additional advantage of momentarily stunning every enemy it hits.

- Ice Wave is a line splash that is a basically a cheaper and weaker version of Avalanche. It's good to have when you are dealing with linear choke points (such as the ramp in Xini) because it gives better damage return per energy compared to Avalanche and its pretty much half as expensive for about 75% of the power. Ice wave is more situational than Avalanche, and its not absolutely necessary if you do not have the mod capacity for it. If you do potato your frame though, there is no reason not to include it for that extra utility.

- Freeze is next to useless majority of the time. The damage is negligent and the stun capability is instantly countered by your teammates shooting at the frozen enemy. Unfortunately, that is going to happen about 99.99% of the time when you play public. This leaves it only being useful when playing solo, playing with a group of friends that knows not to shoot enemies that are frozen, or occasionally when fighting bosses (because damaging shields does not negate the stun effect, and most boss has decent shields)

Passive

- For the "-" slot, using Rush or Constitution would save the most mod capacity (5 and 6, respectively). Rush, as others have said, is somewhat of a luxury mod that allows Frost to catch up with other frames during missions. It's not really necessary during Defense/Mobile Defense Missions where Frost is most useful because you generally want to stay close to the cryopod/artifact/computer to cast snow globe. However, for other more regular mission types, it might be good to have. On the flip side, Constitution boost the duration of Snow Globe to a maximum of 28%, which makes it more ideal for defense missions.

- For the "D" slot, Redirection is generally recommended due to Frost's high base shields. At max rank you get 1110 Shields, and even at a reasonably low rank 4, you hit 750 shields, more than the amount most other frames can get at max rank.

- Assuming its a Prime, for the second "D" slot, any of the three (Vitality, Steel Fiber, or Fast Deflection) can be useful. Vitality gives the most mod points saved (6 mod points) and gives your already tanky Frost even more survivability against health hazards such as toxic ancients and disruptors. Steel Fiber is similar but does it through improving its high base armor. Fast Deflection, on the other hand, boost Frost's ability to regenerate its high shields quickly, and together with Snow Globe pretty much ensures that you won't be shieldless very often.

For the remaining few slots:

- Flow and Streamline are generally very useful for allowing Frost to use (or spam) his abilities. Knowing that you always have enough energy for Snow Globe is a godsend during defense missions.

- Stretch is not generally considered the best ability modifier for Snow Globe because the size increase is not as useful as a duration increase. However, it also affects both Ice Wave and Avalanche. Ice Wave with max stretch has a pretty ridiculous range, and Avalanche becomes an even more useful AOE ability. Due to its more universal promotion of Frost's Power, it might be very useful to have.

- Continuity, like Constitution, boost Snow Globe's duration, giving you more use out of a single cast (about 9 more seconds at max). Always good to make your best ability even better.

- Focus, on the other hand, boost Frost's offensive powers, making Avalanche and Ice Wave more powerful (also Freeze, but its neglible). But it has no effect on Snow Globe, and therefore, not recommended if you could only fit a few.

For my personal Frost Prime, I currently use:

All abilities but Freeze, Rush, Redirection, Fast Deflection, Streamline, Flow, Stretch.

OItpTtU.jpg

Currently mine looks like this, I'll toss constitution on when its max lvl. Also gonna polarize the aura slot for energy siphon. There's absolutely no need to waste mod points on Freeze or Ice Wave, so if you plan on using Frost for the long term, consider polarizing 2/4 Ability slots to make them useful.

Edited by JessicaAlba

You can find Orokin reactor blueprints in Alerts, so cost isn't really an issue there- as long as you're somewhat lucky.  They can supposedly also come up as log-in rewards.

On Armour vs. Vitality for Effective Hit Points- the one thing that armour has over a pure HP boost is that with armour, each health globe restores a larger % of effective HP than pure vitality does.

So there.  Nya.

I love my Frost Frame, I find his abilities to be useful, though to be honest I had to get a little creative, Ice wave is great for narrow choke points that are level, Snow Globe and Avalanche are both great abilities, especially for handling groups and applying stun. Now alot of people do not like Freeze, since its pin point accurate and the freeze only holds until they get attacked. However, it does have some selective utility, as far as all things go, my favourite trick is to utilize it on maps that have elevation (early defense maps) or open corridors, as you can freeze the larger enemy in the rear wich your allies will not frequently be able to target, as long as your willing to deal with the required accuracy needs, its the most easily utilized crowd control in his arsenal, its also great for breaking big melee units giving you time to escape even if your friends break his freeze. However as we all know its Snow Globe and Avalanche that make this kit shine.

Currently I use all 4 Frost Abilities. Vitality, Flow, Continuity, Redirection. The open slots I save for luxury mods, like rush, marathon, or resistance mods, depending on the nature of the mission. Recently I've been considering a Focus mod to beef up my damage so when solo'ing I can wave clear faster in the earlier levels, while mat farming or blue print hunting.

You can find Orokin reactor blueprints in Alerts, so cost isn't really an issue there- as long as you're somewhat lucky.  They can supposedly also come up as log-in rewards.

On Armour vs. Vitality for Effective Hit Points- the one thing that armour has over a pure HP boost is that with armour, each health globe restores a larger % of effective HP than pure vitality does.

So there.  Nya.

oh great "LUCK" will sure be needed with those hahaha.

I dont know why...but I always make my warframe's shield higher than my health

NktrnEu.jpg

This is my Solo Frost build, works well with things like the Supra and long reload time weapons. Also you can't die....

Great defense build :) ... but what about streamline sir? hahaha I forgot I do not have constitution yet so maybe I'll swap it with streamline