Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will We Ever See Real Water?

Onihikage

Seeing the concept art in the latest livestream, it struck me that, while there is water visible in a few parts of the (void) sets, none of it behaves like real water - they're just textures that we move through as though they aren't there at all. From the concept art, it seems that Grineer Outposts have the potential for large bodies of water. It made me think that it would be cool if water combat and/or swimming was introduced somehow, with relevant mods to boot (water walking, swift swim, shields boosted while underwater, etc.).

There could even be entire levels that take place underwater or actively flooding, perhaps a new Nightmare Mode. While underwater, energy projectiles would be spread out but fade away over a short distance (doing less damage at further distances), bullets would have a greatly shortened range, and bolts or other large projectiles would have the longest range but slow down as they traveled. (except rockets, which would become torpedoes) Movement/swimming would be slower for anyone in water, except perhaps certain varieties of infested or native creatures, eh?

It's just a thought. I don't think the engine can support water in this way, and the performance hit would likely be significant, but I at least wanted to share what I think is a cool idea.

Seeing the concept art in the latest livestream, it struck me that, while there is water visible in a few parts of the (void) sets, none of it behaves like real water - they're just textures that we move through as though they aren't there at all. From the concept art, it seems that Grineer Outposts have the potential for large bodies of water. It made me think that it would be cool if water combat and/or swimming was introduced somehow, with relevant mods to boot (water walking, swift swim, shields boosted while underwater, etc.).

There could even be entire levels that take place underwater or actively flooding, perhaps a new Nightmare Mode. While underwater, energy projectiles would be spread out but fade away over a short distance (doing less damage at further distances), bullets would have a greatly shortened range, and bolts or other large projectiles would have the longest range but slow down as they traveled. (except rockets, which would become torpedoes) Movement/swimming would be slower for anyone in water, except perhaps certain varieties of infested or native creatures, eh?

It's just a thought. I don't think the engine can support water in this way, and the performance hit would likely be significant, but I at least wanted to share what I think is a cool idea.

Yes please.

Inb4 Water cuts shields by 1/4 due to the inherent cooler temperatures and conductivity.

Considering the lower range of most projectile weapons and your improved freedom of movement, that should be fine. It would make creatures native to water more challenging, and it would make the "boost shields while underwater" mod extremely useful, as it would have a high cost, but inherently counter the effects of water. ;)

Heh, here's a rare double-effect mod that would be supported by water modes - "Aquatic Scales", increase armor and movement speed while underwater.

I hate being negative when it comes to other people's suggestions but I have a subconscious rejection of water in games. I hate it. I hate sewer levels, I hate swimming sections. I can't stand "getting wet" in games (walking in it). When they added shallow water to that particular room in the void with the 4 lockers and the 2 cryo floors I immediately hated it.
Also swimming mechanics tend to suck.

But well, if they end up adding this I hope it's well done! (just, please.... no space sharks)

Inb4 Water cuts shields by 1/4 due to the inherent cooler temperatures and conductivity.

That's the one thing I could never understand.  Why did DE choose Ice to be the anti-shield element instead of electricity?  Shields being disabled from low temperatures makes absolutely no sense.  Not to mention that it would make shielding ships impossible (due to the low temperature of space).