Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Muffled Sounds Toggle

Fox_Starwind

I have seen this brought up many times without the required follow up action, so I feel it's necessary to bring this issue up again from my point of view.

I have been playing Warframe for a while now and have acquired a certain affinity for the frames that can turn invisible like Loki, Ivara, and Ash. I enjoy that stealthy play style; however, one thing has bothered me about it. The Muffled sounds. I can understand why the sounds would get muffled or even practically muted while in the vacuum of space, but I can't think of a single good reason for the stealth abilities causing the same effect. It's an interesting gimmick, but not necessary in my opinion. So, it is my suggestion that a few options be added to the sound tab under options. One to toggle on or off the muffled sounds while stealthed, another to toggle on or off other muted sounds like being in a section of a mission where the room is subjected to the vacuum of space. It is a serious problem for me as I have an extremely difficult time hearing special resource caches or special treasure chests. Even ayatan stars are muffled to the point of me not knowing they are there at all 'till I see the icon on the HUD or see the blue or orange glow. Outside of stealth those things ring loudly in my headphones when they drop lol.

Speaking of those resource caches, earlier today I was farming the Hive mission on Eris, and stood right in front of the cache without opening it and listened... with Loki, it was very faint, but I could hear it. about 10 yards away, though, the sound was gone completely. With Ivara I couldn't hear it at all. Even my redeemer is practically a silent weapon while in Prowl. Ash didn't affect the sounds as much which was curious to me, they were like half way between Loki and non-stealth.

Given this test, it would benefit my preferred play-style to be able to just turn off the muffled sounds completely so I can hear the in game sounds normally.

As for Naramon, I don't use it and have seen mixed reviews on how it affects sound after the stealth effect procs, so if you guys have tested it, share your experimentation results please.

31 minutes ago, Fox_Starwind said:

Given this test, it would benefit my preferred play-style to be able to just turn off the muffled sounds completely so I can hear the in game sounds normally.

But maybe that's the trade-off for being invisible.
While being invisble no security-measure detects you. You can roam the map without any worries. So while it's easy to get around on the map, it's more difficult to find stuff that's "marked" by sounds.
Seems to me like a great trade-off.

If you want to hear stuff, then don't use invisibility-skills.
And btw. stealth-gameplay doesn't really have to do with using invis-skills. Stealth-gameplay is about sneaking and hiding.

I have to disagree with how you say that stealth has nothing to do with invisibility. When you don't want someone to hear your weapon, you use melee or a silencer on a gun. When you don't want to be seen, you blend in to your surroundings. Hiding in shadows, etc, but that is not an option in this game, so warframe's answer to "fading into the shadows" is the invisibility abilities. Now, the distinction between sight and sound are very different.

Not being SEEN has nothing to do with sound.

Not being HEARD has nothing to do with not being seen.

Stealth gameplay is the act of being silent AND invisible. Which is why we have noise suppressing mods for our weapons and invisibility techniques.

Think of the Predator. His ability to turn invisible (or mostly) only affects the enemies' ability to SEE him. If he steps on a twig or fires a weapon, he will be heard. Just like in warframe, the enemies know something is there but not where or what it is.

So my argument still stands that invisibility abilities or effects should have no affect on sound.