Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stop Walking Forward When Rapidly Melee-Ing!

Fortune_Silver

I like the way the animations move you around, but I think you should be able to control the direction of the movement with your WADS keys. In real life, you don't get powerful swings by standing in place, you have to adjust position and keep momentum moving into the swing. However, if you have to adjust direction, you also don't spin and lunge forward, you side step, rear step, OR turn in place with your swings, depending on situation.

Granted, making a real life equivalent of even some of the most basic situational sword fighting kata would mean dozens of possible animations, scripting linking them all together correctly, and possibly drastic complications to the melee controls. So it may only be feasible to use the current set of melee animations.

+1

I didn't realize it exactly, but it's one reason why faster melee weapons suck. I had a few friends who were new to the game mention how they hate that your character moves forward when you swing the skana; it's like DE is babying the players with automove. Of course, if DE is reading this, they'll likely take this complaint out of proportion and remove all forward motion from all melee, but that would be wrong too. It works for heavy melee due to being slower, and often needing that little step to catch up to the enemy if they move. And of course charged attacks need that step most of the time and actually benefit from it if you're circling a boss/heavy enemy.

But for fast melee weapons, the step is counter-intuitive and counter-productive. Who is in charge of this at DE, and who deserves a lashing?? (just don't use a fast melee lashing weapon or it'll probably step through the designer and miss :B)

Also, hey Steve, remember when you said it was a good idea to add melee attacks based on the character's orientation instead of basing it on where the crosshair was pointed? Like all 3D action melee games? Is that option still in the pipeline or did you decide against it?

I hate it when my character does a forward roll on landing, I'd love a method of grappling onto a ledge that I'm rolling off of at least.

Holding back (S) button before landing should solve that issue.

Edited by Grinbringer

I would love to see this lunging S#&$ resolved sooner rather than later, but with the absolutely horrendous amount of bugs introduced in Update 9 (as well as 8 and 7) that have yet to be fixed or even acknowledged, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a couple months before they got on top of this.

New melee 'lunging' is a pain. Just try to slice one of the green grineer storage trunks open with a sword. You will continuously lunge at it, miss, and wind up ON-TOP of the container. 

It's such a pain when you try to cut the containers in Grineer missions in particular, because, as a Rhino trying to get my Skana to rank 30, so I can just forget about it and toss the thing out an airlock for a better weapon, I want to break containers with my sword; not waste bullets on them. When the animation is causing me to CONSTANTLY miss the container, and end up past it, to one side of it, or even on top of the damn thing, unless I spend a few seconds getting myself the perfect distance away, often still missing because I was a centimeter off, it gets frustrating. I /hate/ wasting ammunition, especially on things that, as far as I can tell, don't contribute to your accuracy rating, and more importantly, don't shoot or hit back.

I hate trying to break the grineer chests open with a one-handed weapon. I swing, my character steps ontop of the stupid thing and it doesn't get broken. So I step off it, swing again, miss again.

Oh god, totally this. This is totally dumb and alone for this melee lunge should be removed (or toggleable)

Oh god, totally this. This is totally dumb and alone for this melee lunge should be removed (or toggleable)

It sucks even if you try crouching before swinging at the container, you STILL end up ontop of it half of the time. WHILE CROUCHING.

I mean........wtf.

Holding back (S) button before landing should solve that issue.

It doesn't always do that though.

I often find myself clamping the S button down as hard as I can in anticipation of an imminent dive-roll landing, but I still manage to roll off. It seems to rely on my forward momentum, holding S would help due to air control, but it isn't always enough.

We're not asking them to prevent us from moving while meleeing, we're asking them to let us stand still while meleeing if we don't hit any buttons at all.

Example:

W + E = Step Forward and Melee.

E = Melee while standing in place.

S + E = Step Backward and Melee.

How hard can that possibly be?

+1 to Xylia and ShadowHunter962

I what being in control of my melee attacks, but not any more, now when we use melee we are ether on top of it or we are doing circles around it, so frustrating especially having furry mod equipped, XD (if it was possible I would ask the enemy to put a hand on my forehead so I can hit them). Having improved animation for W, A, S, D, would be awesome (lunge in stand still is not). They should remove the lunged from the attack animation right now. Also if they what to make it possible to aim melee attacks down so we can easily kill targets on the ground as a addition to ground take-down.

Edited by Synthetic_Ghost

God I HATE the quoting system on these boards.

1 hand melee weps break the laws of physics in this game anyway:

They manage to both suck and blow at the same time.

A Shop Vac sucks and blows at the same time, but yet doesn't break the laws of Physics.....

Edited by Xylia