The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Unexpectedly low levels of performance on more than sufficient hardware.

SonicTheSSJNinja

Hello,

So I haven't played Warframe in a while,and I just got a new gaming laptop. I downloaded steam,then Warframe and fired up the game , expecting to be able to run it at max settings at 1080p 60fps. Here are the specs first btw:

Device: Lenovo Legion Y520

CPU: INTEL CORE I7-7700HQ 2.8 Ghz with TurboBoost Technology up to 3.8 Ghz.

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1050TI 4GB VRAM

RAM : 16GB DDR4

STORAGE : 1TB HDD +128GB SSD

Ok so , I believe I wrote all the important specs down. I updated my drivers prior to launching the game btw. When I did launch the game ,however , my framerate was VERY inconsistent going from  60 down to 18 fps. Changing the settings didn't help either , it was still inconsistent . I also tried running the game in 32 bit mode. Still doesn't work. So if anybody has a fix for the issue that would be much appreciated. 

Thank you for your time!  

Edited by SonicTheSSJNinja

Your laptop wouldn't happen to have Nvidia Optimus, would it? I've seen gaming laptops switch to their integrated graphics on Warframe somewhat randomly (use to have an Alienware that did just that). I'd say check out your temps when you're playing to make sure there's no throttling or that it's not swapping to integrated to help cool down the graphics card. Also, follow some guides online to try and deal with Nvidia Optimus. I think either using preferred maximum performance in the Nvidia control panel does that or you can select which graphics adapter you want to use (which should also be in your global settings in Nvidia control panel).

Hopefully, that helps

Yeah warframe is honestly a joke. A mixed bag. A lottery for performance.

My mate with a GTX 760 ran 60fps+ all day every day with maxish settings including in 4 member squads in late infested missions.
Guy with a 560m gets 60fps on medium, Mate with a 950m get's 30fps on low.
Yet here i am with TWO.... yes... TWO GTX 1080s' and it still pulls me under 60 in those missions, 400 in liset, 40 in psycho missions. i look at my GPU usage and the main one is at 30 percent and the second one barely gets used at all even when in SLI, even when dedicated to PHYSX.
One thread on my 4770k is pinned while the rest are at like 20. So this points to warframe not having a @(*()$ clue what to do with a CPU even with multithreaded rendering enabled. So a giant CPU bottleneck on a still modestly powerful overclocked albeit old CPU.

Why is it that i can run Doom 4 on nightmare settings on both OpenGL and Vulkan (AMD optimised) at 2560x1080p at 200fps all day every day but warframe goes under 40 in a squad of 4?
Why does playing in a squad have such a totally performance to playing solo?
It never even used to be this way, it happened since like UB9 or something.

They're never getting around to it. If they can play at it 30fps on a S#&$ laptop, that's good enough for them.

Y'know, some of us have high refresh rate monitors. To me... 60fps isn't as good as it once was. I desire a consistent 120hz+.... But warframe does not deliver.
P.S. Lowering settings doesn't do jack diddly.

Edited by Jay2097

12 hours ago, Jay2097 said:

Yeah warframe is honestly a joke. A mixed bag. A lottery for performance.

Yeah it's something I've been trying to get on their case about for a long time now. I even asked Steve on twitter about the bottlenecking in the game and this was his response

So going into higher level missions it definitely becomes clear what is causing the problems with performance. Either the engine itself can't handle the enemy count currently at high-level play OR the engine is just not up to par for something as big as Warframe. I know they have people there that are absolutely amazing with C++ and I know that they can go and optimize it and expand the engine, but I don't think they want to because it won't make them as much money.

There is hope, however! Steve has been putting out some new updates on his twitter about how he and some of the other team members have been working on the rendering threads and it looks somewhat promising!

and especially when he showed this off first I got really excited 

All we can really do is wait and see but I think they are finally getting around to doing something about the performance issues in wf. Cause I feel ya man I play with a 144htz monitor and not even being able to hold a solid 60 in game is pretty bad

9 hours ago, Zenviscerator said:

Cause I feel ya man I play with a 144htz monitor and not even being able to hold a solid 60 in game is pretty bad

Yeah mate, i've got a 200hz monitor and it only feels good at 120hz or more.
Yet two gtx 1080s and an 820 cinebenching CPU still barely maintaining 60.... Come on guys.