Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Could Be A Better Game - Acknowledge The Problems, Create Solutions

yOGZULA

1. The game is already balanced around melee and guns, quite well I would say. Currently, using melee over using guns is a choice, and I can choose to melee everything if I so desire. Not to mention some warframes gain significant melee bonuses.

What would your solution achieve, exactly? Melee would still be just as situationally viable. There will be instances where you will not want to melee at all because you're too busy taking cover from all the bullets. In all the other instances, melee will just make you invincible as you drain more shields than you lose. Is that the kind of decision-making you want? If enemy number > X then guns, else melee? How about it being an organic choice that has more to do with what you like than what works better?

2. Forcing poeople to hurry the hell up does not in any way increase the pace of the game. The game is already plenty fast-paced, with distances you can cover very fast and lots of jumps you can make that reduce the amount of time needed to get from point A to B. It doesn't need to be a time trial, in fact the farming nature of it makes it so a time limit will just be frustrating.

If you want the game to be faster, you do other things like allow casting on the move, faster movement while aimed, faster dodges etc. But the necessity of that is arguable at best.

Don't have time to answer the rest, sorry. But though I do agree Rhino isn't my preferred warframe either for about the same reasons, I disagree that all melee is, is tanking everything. There IS alot of skill involved, especially for frames that don't have a "damage sponge" ability. Saryn, though having Molt, doesn't have anything that will buff her armor. So if I want to melee with her, I have to know when and how to do it. It's not as simple as running into a group of enemies.

Hell, I've done the same with Nova recently - gave her Hate so she could fly into a group of enemies, knock them down with that jump attack before they can damage her too much, then Molecular Prime em. A few shots or heavy swipe = everything explodes. <--- that's tactic right there, not bullet sponging. Not every player (or every warframe) focuses on tanking in order to enjoy melee. Another move I did recently -  Wormhole just above a group of enemies, bring that Hate down on their heads, MP, kaboom. Pretty fun.

Your last idea is brilliant! I'll try it out tonight and if I end up using this, I will dub it my special "Soul Echelon" attack in your honor :D

I don't know about the melee stuff.  I'm still early in the game, but I'm not having a problem meleeing.  Then again, I'm a sneaky Loki.

As far as your other suggestion, you just want more variety in mission types.  I think that's reasonable, and most likely part of their plan if I had to guess.

As far as anything else is concerned, this is the tweaking phase of the beta.  They will constantly adjust stats and other factors to balance and improve the game.  They have things available to them that we cannot see, like recorded stat logs and heat maps.  They use this in addition to player feedback to adjust the game.  This is also the bug fixing phase, so be sure to report all bugs you encounter including AI bugs on the appropriate forum.

Companies allow us to participate in open betas to help them, glad to see a lot of us are doing this.  Keep the suggestions flowing and the bugs reported.

Let me start by saying I love warframe, it's a great idea and plays very well mechanically.  At the same time I see a lot of things wrong with it, if fixed, would make warframe an amazing game that it has the potential of being.  In this thread I will explain the problem and offer a solution.

Problem 1 - The game is no balanced around melee and guns.  If you want melee to be a viable it is necessary for warframes to take a significant amount of damage so that they can stay within close range.  If you can't tank any damage, melee isn't viable.  At the same time if you CAN tank damage, gunplay is dumbed down and there is no need to play safe or take cover.  This is the case in warframe.  

The solution - make it so that melee weapons continue to hit hard but nerf Warframe health.  At the same time make it so that melee attacks drain shields from enemies and add it to yourself, perhaps even a small amount of health.

what this does is makes it so that warframes are capable of tanking damage as long as they are actively meleeing.  It also means when attempting to melee you need to be smart about how you approach.  Most importantly it means that you won't be a tank when using a gun like is the current state of warframe.  In turn players will actually need to play smart and take cover or move quickly away from enemy fire.

Problem 2-  The missions are stale, boring and repetitive.  Warframe needs to play faster.  All of the tools are there and they are the most fun tools warframe has to offer.  Moving quickly and maneuvering like a ninja badass.  The problem is, nothing in the game encourages that.  Warframe shouldn't feel like a sandbox where you can go around in each level killing every enemy and barrel and taking your sweet time to get to the end, especially when doors need to be opened with multiple people.  There should be things in place to encourage players to move quickly.

For instance, Instead of the current boring missions replace them with missions like this:

high profile enemy target is trying to make it to an escape pod and the Tenno must stop him before he does.  In this mission you pursue a fleeing enemy and have to stay close or keep up with him to kill/capture him otherwise he escapes and you fail the mission.

Make it so that a breach in the station is draining oxygen, or the station will explode, or toxic gas is filling the station and you need to escape in a certain time.

The point here is that there needs to be a system in place, wether through missions or other incentive, that encourages players to move quickly through levels utilizing the mobility that's build into their warframe.  This game needs a niche and a direction and this is it.  a FPS game where you're a highly mobile ninja robot speeding through levels and accomplishing tasks while pressured by the clock

These two things are my largest concerns, will post more itt if others agree

Please referr to the topic "Ninja mode Activated?" for my feedback

Your suggestions seem very earnest, and I agree with your second suggestion. There needs to be more interesting and probably more diverse mission types.

But the first suggestion is something I have to disagree on. A buff or rework to melee or a implemented incentive to use melee would be great, but I assert that your statement about being able to tank shots is untrue at higher level enemies. As a Frost with rank 8 Redirection and Vitality (990 Shields and 660 HP), I can get melted within seconds by tier 3 Void enemies if I charge in like a mad dog or stand there as a sitting duck. In fact, I often have to take cover when focused down to allow my shields to regenerate. However, this is often un-noticeable and moot in defense due to Snowglobe. This might be untrue in lower level gameplay though.

Edit : Possibly a creation of a melee based Warframe in the future? Maybe actually giving Excalibur an ability in relation to melee (as his name implies that he is a melee Warframe) instead of the highly situation and non-combat Super Jump? Lastly, DE has stated that they will be reworking melee in the future possibly.

Edited by RebornsAlmark