Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Dark Blade

TameruVeil

While playing around today, I thought up a story based off a mission I was in. Hopefully it's enjoyable, as it is my first contribution. For clarification, this takes place from a Corpus crewman's perspective.

Infestation. That was the payload we picked up. We were simply told it was top secret, not to be opened. Our curiosity got the better of us, and we opened the boxes. At first, we didn't know what we were looking at, some were like twisted roots that delved among each other, some like strangely formed rocks. Others still seemed to be strange abominations of our own machinery, we didn't know what we were getting ourselves into. We closed up the box, but it had been too late. The monsters smelt freedom, and would not give up on escaping their confines. When the first man went down sick, we thought it was nothing out of the ordinary. When more and more of the crew checked into the sick bay, that's when we got worried. The First of them seemed to be melting, misshapen figures already, but we reasoned that if nothing else, we could throw them out of the airlock. We were wrong. I wasn't there went it first happened, obvious as I am still alive, but I heard rumors from those watching the cameras. The beasts broke out of their containers as if they were waiting, watching for some unknown signal. The security that tried to stop them were torn down, ripped to pieces. The few of us that had the good sense to do all we could to hold out were the ones still alive. It seemed the ones that had gotten sick had joined their ranks, as had any MOA or Osprey we sent their way. 

We could only hope command had noticed our failure to port, and sent a crew to rescue us, but with each passing hour, that seemed less and less likely. Finally though, another ship did turn up. We scrambled aboard, breathing easy for once it what had seemed to be a lifetime. However, they had no idea what they faced, and left the docking hatch open too long. The infestation leaped, ran and toppled through, acting more as a wave than any recognizable creature. We again ran for our lives, managing to at least undock. We left the majority of the infestation above Eris as we headed for any port, even Grineer, hoping to save our lives. 

We ran out of fuel. Stuck in space, with an everlasting hunger chasing us down in our own ship. We were contacted by command, telling us that help was coming soon, but I didn't believe them. We waited, hoping to either live or die, not endure in this hell. Day after day, we had to retreat further into the ship, as the sickness broke through each door, one by one. We were running out of room and time to run and we knew it. That was when help arrived. 

We were running down a corridor, the last blast door not closing in time, the monsters chasing us down. We were done for. We hoped that it would not end like this, begging for our lives. We heard the sounds of docking, but in the moment of panic, it didn't register. In a blur of motion, a figure dashed by us, cleaving through the hordes. Blue lightning arced off them as they slew the infected in droves, cutting down the beasts craving for our blood. It took me several seconds to realize the Tenno were here. Others that have seen Tenno describe them as golden beings, a bright light or some mystical force of purity. This one almost seemed dissapointing, the barely man sized armour, nothing like the ten foot tall legends. None the less, it and it's weapon, which I now realized was a scythe, mowed down the attacking force. In a wordless gesture, it waved us over, heading back into the fray. In a dash of movement, its blade sliced clean through the skull of an infested, not even pausing for a moment as it cut down another three. It seemed like liquid shadows poured off the edge as it sliced through crowds, leading us to salvation.

Each corridor it barreled along, it focused on saving crewmen as it could, cutting down several that were halfway through clawing faces apart. Each saved life joined the force, until we reached the final corridor. The largest infested from our ship stood there, armoured to the brim, already rearing up. The Tenno motioned for us to run, before engaging on the behemoth. We ran. We ran past grasping limbs, clawing at us. We ran past chunks of flesh extending towards us, not even recognizable as any creature anymore. We ran until we could run no more, the spot the Tenno ship was docked. In a blast of blue light, the Tenno joined us there, herding us onto an escape ship. At the last moment, I looked back. I saw the Tenno checking what I could only assume to be their mission requirements. Nowhere on it did it say 'save the crew'. One day I may be cut down by Tenno blade, but I knew it would not be this one.