The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightmare Mode Is Punishing... Not Difficult

CrazzyAzn

You however, are probably someone who would struggle and die against Pinwheel and call it a punishing fight.

^^ I lol'd at that XD, pinwheel is like a warframe boss to some extent possibly better though since he actually has a tactic besides eat damage and spew out more damage in return...

No map, Ice, Timer and on top of that shield NOT regenerating for host but regenerating for everyone else...

Twice in a row.

Great nightmare mode is broken to the point of unplayability.

It may be a challenge, but it certainly is no fun to play with all those restrictions mixed together.

We could have a ton more interesting nightmare conditions instead of some of the more annoying ones currently.

Enemies explode shortly after death (only damage players)

Headshots do no damage

Enemies come pre-spawned in each room and need to be killed in one specific order (all but 1 at a time are invincible)

Thick fog

random bullet time (entire map becomes like orokin void ice field temporarily)

hyper time (players and enemies both sped up in all actions)

Enemies (color coded) immune to specific damage sources (guns, melee, powers)

Shield does not regen, recovers from energy pickups

double energy cost

Getting hit temporarily silences your abilities

The floor is lava (literally, some rooms need to be traversed with parkour)

Hunted by a slow, invincible foe (one of Stalker's friends?)

Enemies have glowing weak zones (like banshee's sonar) but insanely increased armor everywhere else

As just random ideas.

And come up with a better algorithm for picking out working combinations of conditions.

Edited by Callback

What @Callback just said are good ideas. Currently these combinations are impossible, for example i ran into no shield, energy drain and vampire. so if i rush i die, and if i sneak i die to 1st hit also.

each of those could work separately but not at once. Also in spy missions where you have to find 4 datamassa without map... would work if you had only one way you can go and no time limit.

personally i think low gravity is fun addition, you can also do some nice jump shooting matrix like tricks. 

Edited by Jorgga

I really enjoy Nightmare mode and find it to be a challenge. I agree that not being guided to the objective is tedious and adds more annoyance than difficulty. It would be more interesting to be able to see what the challenge would be so that I could properly prepare. For those that like the challenge of going in without being aware DE could add a random option.

We could have a ton more interesting nightmare conditions instead of some of the more annoying ones currently.

Enemies explode shortly after death (only damage players)

Headshots do no damage

Enemies come pre-spawned in each room and need to be killed in one specific order (all but 1 at a time are invincible)

Thick fog

random bullet time (entire map becomes like orokin void ice field temporarily)

hyper time (players and enemies both sped up in all actions)

Enemies (color coded) immune to specific damage sources (guns, melee, powers)

Shield does not regen, recovers from energy pickups

double energy cost

Getting hit temporarily silences your abilities

The floor is lava (literally, some rooms need to be traversed with parkour)

Hunted by a slow, invincible foe (one of Stalker's friends?)

Enemies have glowing weak zones (like banshee's sonar) but insanely increased armor everywhere else

As just random ideas.

And come up with a better algorithm for picking out working combinations of conditions.

Those are some good ideas. The only one I don't think would work would be being hunted. There's too much backtracking required to complete all of the objectives.

I just tried Everest and got no minimap and no shield. From what Lotus was telling me I got pretty close to Councillor Hek but I died and had no rez to use. I smashed every crate and opened every locker I came across and didn't get a single health ball.

Those are some good ideas. The only one I don't think would work would be being hunted. There's too much backtracking required to complete all of the objectives.

Odd, that was pretty much the only one that sounded interesting to me.

Schadenfreude is someone else's pain making someone else happy.

That does not fit the definition.

does everything really needs to be explained.

there are people still farming whole loads of nightmare mode because of blaze for hours. no minimap means each runs now can last as long as half an hour each run, not even a single minute of it is fun in any way.

and people are saying it's fine or should be harder for basically no reason since they don't even play it nearly that much.

edit:

in any case i gave up trying.

i will drop my case from this subject, idc.

Edited by Wesgile

How is losing the interface ( no minimap) a nightmare mode?

Nightmare Mode is supposed to challenge individually and as a team the warframes abilities...

Why not loosing the Ammo and the abilities Panels?...it makes no sense to me ...where is the challenge in that ?

Just get reed of it ...

Thoughts on Nightmare Mode...  There are a lot of combinations of things that make it difficult, but there are some that make it frustrating and some that make it outright impossible.  I'd auto-quit a mission with no minimap.  In a game with procedurally-generated levels that often have redundant rooms and do have perma-respawning enemies, not having the minimap is akin to being asked to drive between two hotels in a city you've never been to before with no directions while being shot at.  It's a step beyond fake difficulty; it seems like pure spite.  Other combinations can render a game virtually unwinnable, such as having 'energy drain' on a nightmare defense mission, especially if you combine it with no shields, and doubly so if you're something like Nyx or Saryn that needs that energy to do anything useful.

That said, I do enjoy the frantic pace of a mission with health vampire since it makes me play differently and focus on achieving that balance between kills and speed.  I could go for reduced ammunition, making each shot count.  But a lot of the randomized 'penalties' are either crippling or vexing and thus I have no real reason to run Nightmare right now.

Edited by Trylobyte