The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

This Event Shows How Horribly Optimized Warframe Is.

nanogenesis

I don't have a god tier machine either and most of the game runs fine, but on the fomorian ship when your defending and the time is about to run out i get super lag that continues until mission end. I used to get it in the big corpus hanger where the ships fly in but that got a lot better with one of the recent updates.

I highly doubt the game utilizes multiple cores.

In my experience the game loads at least four cores to some noticeable degree.

However, there is one thread that is by far the most cycle hungry, and which seems to be the limiting factor. All other threads could likely be run on a single core without issue.

Probably someone with a 5Ghz i7 xyz can show me smooth 60fps numbers

They can't.

Still completely CPU limited on my back up system that has a 4.7GHz 2700k. Would dip to sub 40fps, probably sub 30 when hosting, at some points in the event.

Even a 5GHz Haswell (fewer than 1 in 50 Haswells are stable at that speed without sub-ambient cooling) would only be about ~15% faster, at best. This means that you'd still be seeing minimum fps at below 50, probably below 45 at points.

Disclaimer: I'm probably 0.1~1% of the audience who gets turned off by the game running below 30fps. Half the people dont care, half the people dont notice or w/e.

It's not the raw frame rate that is the largest issue, it's the dramatic variation in frame rate.

I could probably handle a constant 30-40 fps with a little getting used to, but wildly swinging from 250 fps peaks to 25 fps lows is extremely noticeable and disconcerting.

Vsync doesn't help much either, as it introduces highly noticeable input lag in Warframe.

I can use third party utilities to cap fps to 60 or so, which is more comfortable, but losing 60% of the frame rate at points is still jarring, and 25-30 fps minimums are still too low for the hardware involved and what's going on in the scenes that cause this.

As I pointed out in another thread, Warframe needs to be better threaded.

It's called a bad host. I run with no issues - this game runs on quite a lot of low end machines too.  

It's not about what the game will run on, its that hardware an order of magnitude more powerful does not result in even a doubling of performance because the game is fundamentally tied to a single demanding thread.

Warframe is perfectly playable on my laptop, but it's not much more playable on my best desktops with vastly more potent CPUs and GPUs.

Problems are dramatically compounded for the host as well. Hosting more than one other person automatically knocks off nearly a third of my frame rate.

I'm a wizard apparently. My fps and performance has been amazing as of late.

There are maps where I do not see below 100 fps at any point, some areas (the recent event, and certain Void runs) are still very much borderline.

Hmm..didnt wanna be a negative nelly but my FPS has really taken a hammering after the last few updates, [and ive got a hardcore system]

so much so that i am currently playing with ALL effects turned off..

it looks pretty crappy but plays ALOT smoother, and i dare say makes it easier to fight effectively as i am no longer half blinded by team mates powers [especially Ember!] or by ancients effects...

its almost a cheat in a way!

My minimum fps, which is the problem, is virtually unaffected by the graphics settings (other than maybe shadows).

If you are GPU limited, they can certainly help, and help a lot, but if you have even a single upper-midrange or higher GPU, you are almost always going to wind up CPU limited, and there is very little you can do to alleviate the CPU load.

So yes, a HOST will lag FPS-wise, but clients shouldn't.

If the host's CPU is choking, it can lead to strange behavior and problems for the clients. Frame rate might not show it, but it can still be unplayable.

Edited by Saenol

One thing you might want to try is to go into Steam, right click and go into Properties, go to Local Files Tab, and click Verify Integrity of Game Cache....

I had to do this after 9.0 hit because I was getting bizarre behavior in the client such as lag playing solo / private and crashing randomly.

As for the vent, when running Nova or Ember I had no problems because I kept the room clear. When I was running with Vauban, I only had issues with specific sessions, especially when the mob count became high. The behavior was very much like it was the host in my experience. Especially considering when I kept the room clear with Nova/Ember I rarely had any issue at all except if the host was so horrible the lag/jumping was at the beginning of the mission.

Running:
Radeon HD 7970
Intel i-7-3820 OC'd 4.2GHz

32GB of Ram

Win 8 64-Bit

-snip-

Thank you for your post sir. It eases me to think that there are people who can also notice the performance drops in the game.

I usually maintain a baseline of 44~48fps with the unsual overclock of literally pushing my chip to its edge. Its due for an upgrade for a very long time. It drops to a baseline of 30 during a raid, and as the graphs show thats how my fomorian event experience was.

However recently I downclocked my cpu because the AC was due for repairs, and at its stock speed, only two games have huge problems:

a) Warframe which drops below 35fps in xini and below 20fps in raid missions.

b) Crysis 3 which has all the physics off-loaded on the cpu(the moving grass) which doesn't give me beyond 20fps on the lowest preset.

Now then again, as my record shows, I've been playing for a very long time. Well, the fun fact is, my baseline fps was around 26 in kappa, which I stopped doing, and xini was around 50. Old school xini(update 6) started at 72, and i used to quit at 26 (because of all the ammo drops). As the game progresses, clearly the performance is reducing for me.

This game is due for optimization or at-least, and the very least they can do is fix the enormous spawns, and even remove enemies far away from you. I believe this can be done asap, or atleast an option in menu for 'reduced spawn'. Yet this has not been implemented and I believe it is the fastest fix.

Many may say my pc is crap and I should get a better one asap. Well guess what, I can play Bioshock Infinite with all bells and chimes with 88~110fps at 1440p, 60~80fps at 3k(3072x1728). Even in combat I have not yet gone below 60fps. This is the current game on top of my head atm. I can even present graphs from the official benchmark tool for the non-believers but thats not the point of this thread.

And I also believe some graphic features are being offloaded to the CPU. I may be wrong, but thats how I feel. I once ran Warframe maxed in the void at 2160p, guess what? GPU usage was 50%, and framerate was around 26fps.

A sorta off topic thing I have major concerns of is, if a 5Ghz Haswell(dont know about SandyBridge-E) struggles to run warframe at 60fps, how in the hell can the weaker cpu with 8 threads in the ps4 run the darn thing? Either they put in 'more effort' into optimization specifically for the consoles and left behind the pc platform, or the PC team's skill is not upto the mark. I know direct hardware coding and all can yield more performance in a console vs pc with similar specs, but right now, there is clearly something wrong.

Also, you shouldn't need a 5Ghz CPU to play a casual f2p game at 60fps. Hell even Crysis 3 doesn't require that.