Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

3 Hours In: Sleeper Hit

RyuKaiser

Greetings fellow whatevertheraceiscalled. Ok, seriously, I'm just going with Alien Ninjas. Or Tenors. Because I sing awesome when I'm cutting people down. Anyway. I must admit, I did not expect very much from this game. It looked rather bland from the videos I watched, there was mentioned of a horrifyingly huge grind, and overall, it sounded not very fun. In fact, it took me forever to realize the site didn't need to send me an E-Mail to activate, and that I kept trying to sign in with my Username... not my E-Mail.

That aside, I downloaded the game, and hohummed my way through it. My first mission was... well, imagine a chicken with it's head cut off. I was in a team, and I was completely lost. It took a few minutes to realize that my map was saying "HEY. YOU. STUPID. LOOK UP HERE." which is strangely something that the tutorial messed up on telling me about. It's not a game that's easy to ease into, especially if you try to solo. The game, however... is intense. In a good way. Once you get melee charging down and the like, it... gets so frelling wonderful.

Charging into foes, flipping around and slashing and hacking, swinging around to cut buzzsaws down with a flurry of rifle bullets, sliding away as you get battered with blasts. My first boss experience wasn't the boring snoozefest most games were, I was running around actually afraid for my life, with 3 team mates getting their butts kicked. It... was sublime. At first I thought the intense difficulty was a bad thing, especially because I like to solo. But I can easily say this is one of the best games in terms of team play. It just drives me nerts that there are no dedicated servers. Lag is a terrible offender in this game.

I've... got to say though. Between my Excalibur and it's first few levels, and the sheer amount of speed and frentic combat that demands not only skill in aim, but skill in timing, not just wailing on the swing button, this game... it's like everything that Mass Effect 3's MP should have been. Several modes to choose from, guns and abilities that just get better and better, and can be upgraded as you go. Better and better rewards. I'm squirming thinking of the sheer amount of epic win that the game will bring once I unlock a new warframe, just for a splash of difference. Overall though... this is easily the best PvE game I've ever played, and once you open the flood gates, I do not doubt everyone will forget that Mass Effect 3 ever had an MP, especially with how good this game is.

The only, ONLY beef I have with this game is the fact that so far, there's no power regen (unless it comes in later). With Exalibur, I LOVE barreling through tons of enemies, sweeping back and forth, blasting through them like frelling Vergil from Devil May Cry (the good ones). I... gah. I'm sorry, I'm gushing, I really am. But this game just blew me away once I got the hang of it. Frelling GG, Digital Extremes.

The lack of a "energy regen" type stat is something I've been trying to argue for since I began playing this game. The general argument was that abilities were not usable often enough, especially in the early levels, and that they should be a more integral part of the game as it is the only major way that playable frames are differentiated at present.

If you are fortunate, you can complete a "?" Alert mission for the Energy Siphon artifact, which allows you to regenerate energy at a slow rate (1 a second or something?). That's really slow, but still, it's better than nothing. Also, if you are really lucky, you can get Power Efficiency mods from drops which reduces the energy required to use abilities.

Although I can't say I have too much trouble with energy anymore due to Energy Siphon and power efficiency mods, I definitely still feel that abilities are not an integral enough part of the game at early levels. You want to use that slash dash to plow through mobs, but alas, you have to save your energy to get yourself out of tight spots, usually resulting in a lack of ability use (maybe slash dash wasn't the best example, at it is a really effective skill for very low energy cost).

Anyway, I have to agree with you generally and say that yes, this game is awesome! :D Add me in game (IGN = TheRealTuna) if you have any questions about the game, need help with a mission, etc.

Well, the energy "limitation" is there because your powers are really powerful... Well, most are. Take Excaliburs Slash Dash, that skill only costs 25 energy, and can decimate entire armies if properly aligned. Imagine how easy this game would be if you could just hide in a corner, wait for your energy to regen and then Slash Dash your way through your enemy without a care in the world.

Of course, later on you'll be walking around with roundabout 200 energy anyway, so you can still spam your skills whenever you want