Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Picking up ammo question...

WarKittah

Question

Greetings All,

I thought dawned on me (in the middle of battle no less), you run around with your primary/secondary weaps, you run out of ammo on one and switch to the other one, do you pick up ammo to refill the one you aren't using as well as the one you are currently using?  Was running on survival, was using my Azima and had a Sobrek as backup, ran almost out with the pistol, switched to the shotgun, ran it out and switched back, but the ammo didn't seem to fill up.  If it dosen't fill up unless you are using it, why?  That is the point of having another weap to switch to while the first fills up.  Am I not seeing this right or it does and I just missed it?

Thank you for any help!

WarKittah

4 answers to this question

Yes as Kalvorax said they do actually pickup ammo when not equip, if your other weapon is using a ammo mutation or primed ammo mutation the higher the rank the less ammo the unequip gun will have a chance of getting and you have a ammo case carrier the issue is your converting all the ammo to your equip weapon

Especailly the carrier one as ammo case description is carrier converts all unused ammo to his weapons ammo type after 2 seconds, without a speed holster or something speeding up your weapon swap speed hell def. convert it all before your able to switch weapons or before you even think to

Example you use a rifle and carrier has a shotgun, every 2 seconds after you get ammo hell convert it to shotgun ammo if your weapons dont use it first, which then if your rifle isnt equip and has ammo mutation only gets a portion of it since its converting shotgun ammo back to rifle ammo (this normally only happens if your moving very fast and carrier is bogging behind every now and again cause then he's already converted the ammo by time hes in range to give it to you), and it can get even more confusing cause if you had secondary out with ammo mutation then you converted some of it to secondary, carrier converted the unused to shotgun, and your unequip rifle probably came last and converted the remaining back to rifle once you switched to it (i think i may have just explained it in the most confusing way ever lol but i hope not)

Edited by Tokens210

Ammo Mutation requires a weapon to be active to use it, meaning if you switch a sobek to a pistol, you will still pick up 
shotgun ammo but no ammo mutation will occur for the shotgun.

Ammo replenishes by piority, for example your pistol is short of 50 rounds to max ammo pool
and you switched to primary with ammo mutation mod, the pistol ammo will not undergo conversion/ mutation
until you picked up enough to top off the 50 rounds.

Conversion/ mutation will only occur once there is no other gun than is short of the ammo that is being 
converted.

Unless you have scavenger mods equipped as aura which increases pick up of certain ammo type, 
if you are using ammo inefficient weapons that yield little kill per shot, you might have ammo issue.

For example for Soma Prime to sustain ammo efficiency, it means while expending the 200 rounds of ammo
in a magzazine it must kill enough enemies to drop the 200 rounds to be replaced.

This is why most machineguns and assault rifles scale badly on high level missions 
as it may took 50 - 100 rounds to kill a single enemy which guarantee a net loss in ammo count.

The common solution is melee a few enemies until there is ammo around, but on prolonged boss battles, 
quests and missions without a crowd of enemies, ammo running out is a very realistic issue which can be offset by
ammo restores, even with high ammo efficiency weapon it is possible to run out when the enemies is too tough to kill.

Edited by Ada_Wong_SG

Thank you all for your replies...I am using Carrier's "ammo case" for everything, nothing on prime/second.  So, if I use my azima (105 mag/750 reserve), and run dry, switch to the sobek wipe out baddies, get  a pile of ammo, I should max out the sobek and then pull out the azima and run around and soak up whats left until full...got it.

Thank you again all for your help!

WarKittah