Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightmare Mode Is Plain Not Fun

bumwald

the game mode itself isn't very hard at all.  The only thing that makes it any challenge is the $&*&*#(%& limitations.  I have a 240% shield mod but a very weak HP mod so the no shield completely destroys my build.  This might be an issue if the enemies weren't much much easier.  they take longer to target and I quite frequently have them dead before they do.  

the no map thing is the possibly the worst thing I have seen in any game.  How is it a challenge to run around for 30+ minutes like an idiot.  It's not fun.  if I wanted to get a piece of paper and hand map the dungeon then I'd do that, but I'm playing a game with a map system because it's what I want.  Their is absolutely no fun factor to not having a map and I'm pissed that I had to deal with that bullS#&$ to only give up after 30 minutes of wasting my time for NOTHING.

I have seen nothing nightmarish about nightmare mode, except how incredibly bad the design is!

The only thing that has really ever made nightmare mode not fun is trying to do a nightmare defense and having a bunch of retards join (I play at erratic hours and don't always have acquaintances online) who think everything is "glitching", or who weren't remotely prepared for nightmare mode, and having them bail, or use their last revive, after five or ten waves.

I like the game modes themselves, even no radar is neat in a way. Sure some combinations can be pretty brutal, but trying to prepare for those possibilities, and eventually prevailing with no shield and no energy is a lot of fun.

The first Nightmare mode was a good move.

The first that they put, (only vampire and timer conditions) were okay i completed a couple of them with smart play.
Then they started to tweak it and finally comes to a point for some players that's just painfull to play Nightmare mode.

Its not Difficult-fun ,its Punishing

energy sipon on a group cancels out nightmare mode of depleting energy. so the only problem is the no shield part. kinda hard when facing grineers and corpus with unlimited bullets and they dont reload. for the no radar thingie kinda makes it boring running around with no enemies spawning. just running around getting lost.

yes, I agree when the nightmare mode was brand new I enjoyed it.  I don't really like a lot of the modifiers but the no map is just stupid.  If you wanna turn off the enemy radar, that's fine, but theirs just no fun or challenge in not knowing where to go!

I enjoy Nightmare mode, although I don't think every part of it is good (e.g. minimaps shouldn't go away).

Sure, it's pretty easy on most maps, but anything with high level guys (e.g. Pluto), and the Nightmare becomes apparent. I recently ran a defense mission on nightmare, and while it was brutally tough (most of us had energy drain, no shields, low grav and no map), it was also a lot of fun for those 15 required waves. We got so many corruptors. Fortunately the no map thing didn't hinder us since it was a defense mission. It was kind of nice actually, no need to look at that map all the time like an OCD nut.

I'm not sure I've seen anyone talk about it, but in my experience, Nightmare mode enemies do about double damage. The reason I think this is because I was farming Golem for neural sensors one day and after a ton of runs, the node suddenly became nightmare mode. I kept running it and immediately noticed the extra damage being dealt from a charger swipe. I couldn't just goof around anymore since I'd die if I was just meleeing without care. But, I can't say this is consistent. It was just double damage for the few runs I did on nightmare and then took a break. I was using a low level Nova, so she was dying in about 2-3 charger hits.

They do need to work on Nightmare mode more though, maybe revamp it so that we can choose which modifiers are active (like skulls in Halo) or randomly choose from different pools of mutations. Other games like Vindictus' Hero mode mutate the enemies instead of the entire game, so only some enemies are super strong and have new stats like dealing fire damage or move faster than normal. Maybe we'll run into Overpowered Burning Speedy Elite Grineer Lancers. I'm still waiting for the Corpus to surprise me with a sudden Hyena fight.

Although I think DE is a very accommodating developer, with good communication and an enjoyable game with Warframe, I wonder with each update if they actually have any good designers on their team, or at least how much the lead designer checks the work others submit when they put out stuff like half the mutations that ended up in Nightmare mode so far, along with the health/armor scaling that's such a poor design.

energy sipon on a group cancels out nightmare mode of depleting energy. 

Maybe there are varying levels of it, but my group had 4 maxed energy siphons, and our energy was draining really fast. I did notice it slowed down at times though, perhaps based on kill streaks or some other parameters. My energy also didn't seem to drain nearly as fast as a friend's in the same game, so he kept using his abilities as soon as he got the energy or he'd lose it all within about 10 seconds.

It clearly sucks.

1st - it's purely random

2nd - it messes up many builds

3rd - low suvivability with random groups

4th - it doesn't PAY off

Honestly, I'm just going nightmare once in a while in hope for my missing Blaze, not the "thrill". Sure you can cancel out or dampen some penalties with mods but do you WANT that?

Suggestion: let the players filter which penalties they don't want and add rewards (better drop chance, extra end reward) for each penalty picked.