The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A "Report Player" Option was Added

Voltage

2 hours ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

Joking around how?  If you're saying offensive things, then it's not grade school for someone to do something about it.  If you can't act mature on chat, then it's your problem, not theirs.

You do - perhaps you should learn more about it?  Let me clue you in.  No one is obligated to provide you a platform for your speech.  If you clan leaders decide to kick/ban you from clan chat (DE doesn't police those), your free speech has not been restricted.  If you take your clan chat to public chat and get banned for violating the rules, you still have not had your free speech rights violated.

Some people have no sense of humor much like yourself. And... Just what is the definition of "offensive" language? Your definition might be different then mine. And just who determines what is offensive? I find that what offends people the most is telling them the truth.. Am I going to be reported for calling you a dirt bag for going afk in a corner while our team does all the work? Yea? Well, what if I change dirt bag to something more colorful? if you need a safe space that bad, you should stay off the internet.. How about that last statement? Isn't that offensive language too?

On 12/7/2017 at 8:20 PM, PhotriusPyrelus said:

Funny thing about systems like this: they're designed to reduce "toxicity", but all too often actually increase it.  Welp.  It was nice being social while it lasted, guess I'm going to say nothing to anyone ever again so they can't report me for anything.

MY MAN! Same here... I talk a lot! I love to have a conversation in almost every game, mostly to make other players comfortable and share a few laughs.. but I have the sneaky suspicion that my love for chatting will be confused with spamming.

Like you said, Pyrelus... it was nice 'till it lasted. :'(

5 minutes ago, TBH_Urzo said:

Some people have no sense of humor much like yourself. And... Just what is the definition of "offensive" language? Your definition might be different then mine. And just who determines what is offensive? I find that what offends people the most is telling them the truth.. Am I going to be reported for calling you a dirt bag for going afk in a corner while our team does all the work? Yea? Well, what if I change dirt bag to something more colorful? if you need a safe space that bad, you should stay off the internet.. How about that last statement? Isn't that offensive language too?

I love how people who try to deride others about needing safe spaces are the first ones to fly off the handle and start hurling insults at any suggestion that they grow up and treat others with respect.

This is for @TBH_Urzo & @(Xbox One)R3d P01nt after reading your comments...

Sadly, what Urzo says is true... people right now at this time are way too "soft" and can't take a joke unless is a PC (politically correct) one. Still, you're right too Red, so we may call it a draw in this case.
Still, like I said... and I noticed in many platforms, especially social ones, too many people "hide" under the protection of the internet and they bark at you at the simplest "Hello!". Don't tell me I'm wrong or even I act in a very bad way, because I don't and much people can say I'm quite polite. The problem is, some people have a really bad day at life, work, whatever and just want to chill on the house with video games.
Yes, sometimes we find the stereotypical moron who brings more noise to the situation and everyone starts going nuts.
I like these kind of systems, still... they are a double-edged weapon, and like I said in a prior post for me is a sad thing because someone may be REALLY introvert and find my chit-chat being "spamming" and I will get a ban for being friendly.

If I like the system? No, I don't... but I enjoy the game and I play by the rules. Sadly, I feel like this element will silence me. In most cases I will keep playing with my IRL friends and my girlfriend who are in the clan we created, or maybe just solo... because even when I enjoy playing public a lot. I don't feel like this is going to be a really good idea.

These are my two cents, feel free to give me your PoV and we will see... right, lads? CHEERIO!

28 minutes ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

I love how people who try to deride others about needing safe spaces are the first ones to fly off the handle and start hurling insults at any suggestion that they grow up and treat others with respect.

Respect is earned, not given to everyone just because political correctness asks for it. I edited it because my response was not exactly how I felt.

Edited by TBH_Urzo

...guys, this has been in the game for years. It does literally nothing. And I don't mean the reports get ignored or something, I mean literally nothing. It sends zero data to the server. It's a relic of a beta feature they tried out for a couple weeks, then quickly abandoned once they created a proper support center. They just forgot to remove it.

Edited by EmissaryOfInfinity

1 minute ago, EmissaryOfInfinity said:

...guys, this has been in the game for years. It does literally nothing. And I don't mean the reports get ignored or something, I mean literally nothing. It sends zero data to the server. It's a relic of a beta feature they tried out for a couple weeks, then quickly abandoned once they created a proper support center. They just forgot to remove it.

Sincerely I don't remember this from the CBT... but my memory is not like it used to be. Now I feel like an asshat, oh S#&$... XD

23 minutes ago, Undirys said:

Sadly, what Urzo says is true... people right now at this time are way too "soft" and can't take a joke unless is a PC (politically correct) one.

I don't think this is true at all.  It's not that people are too "soft" it's that people are tired of being the brunt of the "joke."  Having people "joke" about who you are isn't really a "joke" for the people who are constantly being bombarded with this stuff.  And, it's simply not funny to attack people.

[ETA(2):  It's not soft at all to stand up to people who are being offensive and saying something.  It takes guts to do that.]

Note:  I'm only talking about derogatory speech towards others.  I have no idea what Urzo says in chat, as I'm on Xbox One and have no access to Urzo's chat contents.  That's why I talked about offensive speech.  If Urzo is just making jokes that aren't based on people's characteristics (I know my alliance mates are not above flooding our alliance chat with puns from time to time) that's one thing.  If Urzo thinks that making "jokes" about women or other minorities (just as an example) is OK - it's not, and it shouldn't be accepted in a private space that has no obligation to host such speech.  When someone is privileged enough to not have ever been the brunt of others' "jokes" it's really easy to not see the issue.

10 minutes ago, TBH_Urzo said:

Respect is earned, not given freely..

Basic human respect.  Should we add that to the list of concepts you don't seem to understand, like free speech?

ETA:  One should not have to earn being treated like a human being and not the butt of a joke.

Edited by (XB1)R3d P01nt

1 minute ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

Basic human respect.  Should we add that to the list of concepts you don't seem to understand, like free speech?

Refresh your page. I edited that post long before you posted your last post to more accurately portray the way I feel. And yes I agree with basic human respect. But I will be the first one to let you know if you don't show me the same..

Just now, TBH_Urzo said:

Refresh your page. I edited that post long before you posted your last post to more accurately portray the way I feel. And yes I agree with basic human respect. But I will be the first one to let you know if you don't show me the same..

I'm not going to alter what I said, because I feel like I'm still addressing you just as well as before.  And, can we all stop with the use of "Political Correctness" as a derogatory thing.  The only people who complain about it are the people who also complain about special places, and we've already talked about that.

3 minutes ago, Undirys said:

Shall we call it peace now? A handshake between all of us here? XD

If we can agree that derogatory speech (especially based on characteristics of the person, like gender, color, sexuality, etc) is not OK, then, sure.

You want to call an AFK'er a jerk?  OK, although it would be better to not stoop to that level and instead just report the person for being AFK.  You want to call the AFK'er a slur, then definitely not OK.

ETA:  You want to tell jokes in the appropriate venue (not in recruit or trade chat) that don't deal in stereotypes and slurs?  Have fun.

Here's one:

How do you fix a jack-o-lantern?

With a pumpkin patch.

Edited by (XB1)R3d P01nt

2 minutes ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

I'm not going to alter what I said, because I feel like I'm still addressing you just as well as before.  And, can we all stop with the use of "Political Correctness" as a derogatory thing.  The only people who complain about it are the people who also complain about special places, and we've already talked about that.

It sounds like you hear that a lot.. About safe spaces.. It's people thinking like you that has ruined every facet of our lives with censorship. Pretty soon no one will talk to each other out of fear.. You think what you want. For me, if I don't want to hear you or play with you, then I put you on my ignore list. And you can do the same and it won't bother me one bit. You are the one who needs to grow up if you get offended by my language..

6 minutes ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

If we can agree that derogatory speech (especially based on characteristics of the person, like gender, color, sexuality, etc) is not OK, then, sure.

You want to call an AFK'er a jerk?  OK, although it would be better to not stoop to that level and instead just report the person for being AFK.  You want to call the AFK'er a slur, then definitely not OK.

ETA:  You want to tell jokes in the appropriate venue (not in recruit or trade chat) that don't deal in stereotypes and slurs?  Have fun.

Here's one:

How do you fix a jack-o-lantern?

With a pumpkin patch.

Here's one for you, Point... if I see you using a Frost and you start freaking out, I will tell you to "cool down" or just "chill down a bit", get it? GET IT? XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

9 minutes ago, Undirys said:

Shall we call it peace now? A handshake between all of us here? XD

I have no I'll will toward anyone here. In fact I feel the opposite. I want Warframe to thrive. But censoring "offensive" language will cause more harm than good. If someone is harassing you make a support ticket. Or better yet just ignore them..

1 minute ago, TBH_Urzo said:

I have no I'll will toward anyone here. In fact I feel the opposite. I want Warframe to thrive. But censoring "offensive" language will cause more harm than good. If someone is harassing you make a support ticket. Or better yet just ignore them..

I just ignore it... my experience on Warframe chat and the community has been positive so far, Urzo. Like I said, I agree on both your opinion and Red, and I hope you can see that. Trying to set a more common ground for all the parties involved. :3

Just now, TBH_Urzo said:

It sounds like you hear that a lot.. About safe spaces.. It's people thinking like you that has ruined every facet of our lives with censorship. Pretty soon no one will talk to each other out of fear.. You think what you want. For me, if I don't want to hear you or play with you, then I put you on my ignore list. And you can do the same and it won't bother me one bit. You are the one who needs to grow up if you get offended by my language..

Again with the insults and flying off the handle the moment you talk about safe spaces?  Methinks it is not me that requires one.

I speak with people all the time, throughout the day, and on the chats when I'm on (my alliance is very active in chat) and I've yet to be banned or live in fear for what I say?  Why?  Because I treat other people with basic human dignity.  If you aren't capable of that, then you should be wary of how you interact with other people.  If you can't handle yourself in an appropriate manner, that's your problem, not the problem or fault of the people around you.  You need to look in the mirror.

Secondly, if you say something that is offensive and someone else says something to counter you, that's not censorship (add that to the list of terms you throw around without understanding).  That's them using their speech against your speech.  You have the right to speak, but you don't have the right to speak and force everyone to meekly accept what you say without challenge and without consequence.  Why is it that people who are the most concerned about others having safe spaces are the ones that demand their speech be protected from any consequences.  Sorry, it doesn't work that way.  When you choose to say something, you should accept the responsibility for what you say and what may come of it.

Lastly, if you can't interact with others without being offensive, it is not the others that need to grow up.  It's you that needs to learn how to be mature and interact with others.  The common denominator in all those interactions is you.  And, yes, it's quite immature to act as if everyone needs to conform to how you want things to be, to bow and scrape to your every word, to accept what you say and shut up about it because you don't feel they have the right to speak out against you or talk back.  That's not how adults operate.  That's how children operate and see the world, throwing fits when things don't go their way and insisting that they be coddled and tended to - sort of like demanding a safe space.

5 minutes ago, Undirys said:

Here's one for you, Point... if I see you using a Frost and you start freaking out, I will tell you to "cool down" or just "chill down a bit", get it? GET IT? XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Groan...but I'll admit that I like corny jokes, even when I pretend I don't.

1 minute ago, Undirys said:

I just ignore it... my experience on Warframe chat and the community has been positive so far, Urzo. Like I said, I agree on both your opinion and Red, and I hope you can see that. Trying to set a more common ground for all the parties involved. :3

Ignoring it doesn't solve the issue, however.  It doesn't solve the issue for the community, nor does it help build the community.

3 minutes ago, TBH_Urzo said:

I fail to see how allowing people to be offensive towards others will help the community thrive and grow.  I've seen people throwing around the N-word in chat on Xbox One.  How in the world does allowing that speech to go unchallenged help grow the community?  Or, did you mean it will only help the community of people like you, people who think like you do, because no one else matters?

Perhaps you don't have ill will, but you certainly don't seem to have any sort of compassion or empathy for people who aren't like you.  Allowing offensive chat drives people away, because it creates an unwelcoming environment for anyone who might be in the crosshairs of such offensive speech.  That's not how you build a community.

Again with the insults and flying off the handle the moment you talk about safe spaces?  Methinks it is not me that requires one.

I speak with people all the time, throughout the day, and on the chats when I'm on (my alliance is very active in chat) and I've yet to be banned or live in fear for what I say?  Why?  Because I treat other people with basic human dignity.  If you aren't capable of that, then you should be wary of how you interact with other people.  If you can't handle yourself in an appropriate manner, that's your problem, not the problem or fault of the people around you.  You need to look in the mirror.

Secondly, if you say something that is offensive and someone else says something to counter you, that's not censorship (add that to the list of terms you throw around without understanding).  That's them using their speech against your speech.  You have the right to speak, but you don't have the right to speak and force everyone to meekly accept what you say without challenge and without consequence.  Why is it that people who are the most concerned about others having safe spaces are the ones that demand their speech be protected from any consequences.  Sorry, it doesn't work that way.  When you choose to say something, you should accept the responsibility for what you say and what may come of it.

Lastly, if you can't interact with others without being offensive, it is not the others that need to grow up.  It's you that needs to learn how to be mature and interact with others.  The common denominator in all those interactions is you.  And, yes, it's quite immature to act as if everyone needs to conform to how you want things to be, to bow and scrape to your every word, to accept what you say and shut up about it because you don't feel they have the right to speak out against you or talk back.  That's not how adults operate.  That's how children operate and see the world, throwing fits when things don't go their way and insisting that they be coddled and tended to - sort of like demanding a safe space.

Again you fail to understand that "offensive" is subjective.. And you prove my point well that the truth is the most offensive thing you can say to people these days..

1 minute ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

Groan...but I'll admit that I like corny jokes, even when I pretend I don't.

Ignoring it doesn't solve the issue, however.  It doesn't solve the issue for the community, nor does it help build the community.

Glad to hear that you liked the joke... about the "ignoring" stuff, think this: The player that was a being a bit aggressive could have been through a helluva' day and maybe he didn't intend that. :'(

6 minutes ago, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

I fail to see how allowing people to be offensive towards others will help the community thrive and grow.  I've seen people throwing around the N-word in chat on Xbox One.  How in the world does allowing that speech to go unchallenged help grow the community?  Or, did you mean it will only help the community of people like you, people who think like you do, because no one else matters?

Perhaps you don't have ill will, but you certainly don't seem to have any sort of compassion or empathy for people who aren't like you.  Allowing offensive chat drives people away, because it creates an unwelcoming environment for anyone who might be in the crosshairs of such offensive speech.  That's not how you build a community.

World of Warcraft has an excellent community and they have the same system that I told you about. An ignore function and a profanity filter.. It works and it works well. Enough said..

Edited by TBH_Urzo

2 minutes ago, Undirys said:

Glad to hear that you liked the joke... about the "ignoring" stuff, think this: The player that was a being a bit aggressive could have been through a helluva' day and maybe he didn't intend that. :'(

I understand that, but if someone calls me by the N-word (it has happened multiple times) that's not just someone having a bad day.  That they decided to tear into someone might have been part of that, but using that specific language is something else, something more, and something that we can't put up with.

Again you fail to understand that "offensive" is subjective.. And you prove my point well that the truth is the most offensive thing you can say to people these days..

It's not as subjective as you'd like to pretend.  Calling someone the N-word (just to use an example) is not subjective in the least.  Also, "offensive" is seen as being in the eye of the beholder - even in law.  Yeah, look it up.

Are you really unable to speak with other people without using offensive slurs?  And, you say I'm the immature one here?

World of Warcraft has an excellent community and they have the same system that I told you about. An ignore function and a profanity filter.. It works and it works well. Enough said..

I have no idea about WoW, so I'm not in a position to judge.  I do know that Warframe has an ignore feature and a profanity filter, and it's not enough.  My own experience is enough to validate that.

I understand that, but if someone calls me by the N-word (it has happened multiple times) that's not just someone having a bad day.  That they decided to tear into someone might have been part of that, but using that specific language is something else, something more, and something that we can't put up with.

Good point, still... I think you and I can say that we can count this situation with the fingers of one hand in the Warframe community, right? You can tell them to be more polite or even show them how (in proper ways), but don't spend all the energy on that because you will fall on their traps too, Red.