Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rolling Is Spoiling My Ninja Flo -

Grayhem

I feel like this is something that will be changed relatively soon, but I wanted to bring some attention to it and hear ideas from others on how this should be changed..

There is a huge amount of flow and fluidity to the control scheme and feel of Warframe but I feel like the obligatory roll that takes place if you're running and hit the ground ruins a little bit of the fluidity.

Maybe it's the fact that you can't change direction during the roll, or that it's not even as fast as running speed...

Am I alone in feeling like this mechanic could be updated?

I have to disagree with Op because i roll by instinct and it saves me time when travelling(not all the time, some rolling combos do) and that i do it to avoid getting hit and it is 100% effective. I don't really know how, but i go with the flow.

I have to disagree with Op because i roll by instinct and it saves me time when travelling(not all the time, some rolling combos do) and that i do it to avoid getting hit and it is 100% effective. I don't really know how, but i go with the flow.

Just to be clear, we're talking about the rolling that happens when you hit the ground while running, not when you hit a key to roll. I'm not sure if you were talking about the same thing or not.

If you use the slide, air kick, and front flip movement options more you can greatly reduce the need to roll while increasing movement fluidity, speed, and sheer ninja-ness. There are ways around your problem, you just have to practice advanced movement control. 

On top of this, rolling is realistic and I like that. Just because we are in super suits doesn't mean we can ignore the laws of physics. Changing directions in air or when we hit the ground wouldn't make any sense. I feel it would actually hinder fluidity and break the flow by just feeling wrong. Also a body traveling at a downward diagonal trajectory will want to continue traveling in that trajectory once hitting the ground. Rolling is preferable to awkwardly stumbling forward or falling on one's face. 

There are ways around your problem, you just have to practice advanced movement control. 

Or, because rolling is more of a nuisance than a help and the players that do like movement fluidity absolutely hate it, it could be given a binding instead of it being automatic, irrespective of the height of whatever you've fallen from, whether it's a sheer cliff or a foot-high wall.

If you use the slide, air kick, and front flip movement options more you can greatly reduce the need to roll while increasing movement fluidity, speed, and sheer ninja-ness. There are ways around your problem, you just have to practice advanced movement control. 

On top of this, rolling is realistic and I like that. Just because we are in super suits doesn't mean we can ignore the laws of physics. Changing directions in air or when we hit the ground wouldn't make any sense. I feel it would actually hinder fluidity and break the flow by just feeling wrong. Also a body traveling at a downward diagonal trajectory will want to continue traveling in that trajectory once hitting the ground. Rolling is preferable to awkwardly stumbling forward or falling on one's face. 

Hm... See that green room in grineer galleon, with a pillar in the middle? That's a jump I could do IRL (and I'm no gymnast), without a super-suit, without worrying too much, and definitely without feeling the need to roll down at the landing. Especially if the said roll has a greater chance of driving me into the pit than the jump.

Rolling after falling down a few meters is ok. Rolling after falling down 50cm is showoff. Rolling at the end of a short horizontal (like in this green room) or even an upwards motion is absolutely ridiculous.

Hm... See that green room in grineer galleon, with a pillar in the middle? That's a jump I could do IRL (and I'm no gymnast), without a super-suit, without worrying too much, and definitely without feeling the need to roll down at the landing. Especially if the said roll has a greater chance of driving me into the pit than the jump.

Rolling after falling down a few meters is ok. Rolling after falling down 50cm is showoff. Rolling at the end of a short horizontal (like in this green room) or even an upwards motion is absolutely ridiculous.

Fair rebuttal. I wasn't claiming it was a perfect system. However that particular jump can easily be made with a front flip thus getting around the problem. 

Should DE look at rolling situation by situation and tweak it where needed? Certainly. Should they get rid of it or ignore physics like most fast paced games? Absolutely not!

This game already has far greater maneuverability controls than any game I've ever played and greatly rewards players for practicing the advanced mechanics. 

Just to be clear, we're talking about the rolling that happens when you hit the ground while running, not when you hit a key to roll. I'm not sure if you were talking about the same thing or not.

Ah that rolling. Well it may seem bad, but overall it is a sort of balancing after you jump if not you would fall face first to the ground. However to remove it, i don't know if it would be ok. Maybe it would i guess.