Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Next Open World: Ideas and Improvements from PoE

alepap1995

With the release of Plains of Eidolon we saw a big new open space for us to explore and gave a breath of fresh air to the tight corridor based gameplay that was dominant in the game post PoE.

But with that said, there are some things that, in my opinion at least, held the experience back from what it could have been.

• Bounties and how they were handled. Bounties are nice, but they direct the player to specific tasks within the open world, which negate the aspect of exploration and the open world. It feels more like a mission when the game tells you "go there kills a bunch of dudes, protect this vault and then come back" rinse and repeat. Instead DE should incentivise players to stay in the open world area and reward player initiative rather than a bland to do list. Kinda like incursions.

• Replayability. While the plains are fun, everything gets a bit stale after a while. It would be nice if there was a way to implement procedural generation into the new open world, although i know it would be a lot harder that regular mission tiles. But stuff like for example the caves in the plains, maybe the door could lead to an already existing tile from the rest of the game some times, to change things up. (you could even incorporate a survival mission that way. Door locks behind you and you need to survive etc.)

Also i would want to see more wildlife, not just small critters. I imagine some big white yak like creatures for a planet like Venus(idk how lore friendly this would be, not an expert)

Monster Hunter World. Put entire ecosystems into the game, vertical landscapes.

I quite like the idea of being able to enter the randomised planets tiles through the OW, makes it all seem more connected as opposed to isolated.
But I think the reason for it to be more isolated is to give the ostron colony their own space, at the same time allowing the Faction to 'explore' what it is they are doing in the OW.
As if they haven't been in said are before.

my biggest issue is the lack of real discovery and adventure. there is no real reason to explore and try to find new interesting things. the plains arent extremely huge but still it could have cave systems for example or hidden ruins to really explore and find things. i dont see a thematical issue to implement that.

another problem imo is how repetitive the bounties are. they themselves are fine but the different objectives or too linear and too few. they need more diversity and some random elements too to make the replay more fun and less "oh that again zzZ". its grind no matter what but the art is to make grind fun and less obvious imo. right now they are always very much the same other than the location on the plains.

new features are always nice but thats a pretty difficult thing to judge for obvious reasons but taking the current state of the plains into account these points would be my biggest pain.

maybe another thing although generally an issue is the fact that stealth gameplay is kind of meh outside of invisibility. enemies having lower FOV during nights on the plains is a step into the direction i mean but generally detection and stealth play could use some more fresh touchups imo.

my biggest problem is using archwing being consumable. The plains would be great with flying around, but because it is consumable I will not do it - I know myself.

So I would like to have a new kind of archwing instead - roaming kind of - with design like from that village, where all the resources I would have to spent on consumables otherwise, which feels in this case not rewarding at all for me, I would like to spend it on upgrades and new designs, or colors - like really new kind of archwing for open zones. 

Also I would love to see all the new big areas on other planets being really different with different problems to handle - like a planet with extreme heat or a planet under water, where the hub could be some big submarine city or something like that - like George Lukas with Star Wars was able to create. 

Then all the new open zone archwings would be with that different design - submarine kind of for water planets, something with flame design for heat planets and still that consumable could exist for players who would like to use classic archwings. 

And also for operator there could be new ways how to obtain upgrades - not just by shooting some big animal - for players, who enjoy different style, and the opposite - I would like to have bounties, where I would have to take down a big monster on earth archwing, without the operator involvement - just like monster hunting. Because for me operator should be doing something small - something more delicate - but I know that is about preferences, so I wish there would be more kind of missions for different people.