Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Does Way Too Little Damage For How Squishy He Is.

Solaurus

TL;DR Volt is poorly thought out and needs a rework

The thing about Volt is that his damage output is probably one of the worst in game minus Mag. Other frames that don't focus on damage have things to redeem that. Vauban has his godly CC and Loki has his CC and crowd manipulation abilities. Volt on the other hand has nothing. One could argue that Volt is versatile, having 2 damage abilities, one defensive, and one movement based. But, all of Volt's skills have no way of meshing with each other or making a difference in a mission. Shock is probably the worst "1" in game. It does pitiful damage and it never stuns anything like it's supposed to. At least Frost's "1" can temporarily freeze a strong enemy to give the team time to focus on other enemies and Ember's is an effective landmine, able to keep doing damage to enemies that step on it. Volt's Speed is also a very hindering thing for Volt. It's useful in so many ways but it also makes things worse. It supports rushing, which DE said they don't want in game and also generally waters down gameplay. It also has the horrible FOV change that makes people sick half the time. Not to mention it actually helps Volt to get left in the dust since it makes already faster teammates even faster. Ele. Shield is immobile. Anyone who has played Warframe knows that no one ever stands still unless they are fighting a boss of some kind. 3/4's of which require continuous movement. Now the worst thing about Volt is Overload. Horrible damage, never stuns unless its Corpus, and gets you killed half the time you use it because of the poorly thought out hang time. Volt can't CC, deal damage, or defend anyone. He's just there sitting around being squishy. His armor is one of the lowest in game ( along with Banshee and Ember, although they actually have uses in game.) and his shield gets easily blown through because of this. Not to mention he's slow. Overall Volt feels like a rushed out spot filler. DE seemingly just thought of a few skills and gave them names that have to do with electricity without actually thinking about how they mesh together or how actually useful they are. Even the 8.3 hotfix that was meant to buff him made him worse by making his ult a hide and use or suicide button, breaking Shock TWICE, and making people throw up when a Volt decides to use Speed to get out of a jam. Volt needs a rework after DE is done with Ember and Trinity. That is something no one that has played Volt  can deny.

Edited by Solaurus

not all the frames need to be able to kill everything most frames have some abilities that are useless and some that are not just like volt ive seen people use volt and do good but it seems that just because you like volt you want him to kill everything like nova does

1. can you please space things out a bit? this (literal) wall of text is a bit annoying

2. why would trinity need to be reworked exactly? I have her and tbh she's fine. blessing could be a bit faster but nothing else

Why the hek are you talking about trinity

It's funny how two of the three reworked frames - Mag, Volt and Rhino - are widely considered to be the worst frames.

Really?  Man every time I see them, I just get pure awesome from them.  Especially the Mag.  I guess I need to play them to see what they're talking about.

Then again, I'm a Loki.

not all the frames need to be able to kill everything most frames have some abilities that are useless and some that are not just like volt ive seen people use volt and do good but it seems that just because you like volt you want him to kill everything like nova does

In a game that has Nova and Saryn, the choice between "really good at killing one faction" and "really good at killing every faction" is kind of a no-brainer, honestly.

It's funny how two of the three reworked frames - Mag, Volt and Rhino - are widely considered to be the worst frames.

Mag and Volt were widely considered to be the worst frames before they got reworked. The problem is the rework didn't really fix a lot of their glaring flaws.

In a game that has Nova and Saryn, the choice between "really good at killing one faction" and "really good at killing every faction" is kind of a no-brainer, honestly.

Mag and Volt were widely considered to be the worst frames before they got reworked. The problem is the rework didn't really fix a lot of their glaring flaws.

Yes, they are not "press 4, extinguish all life" type frames. So that makes them bad.

I used Volt 58% of my gametime and I usually get the most kills. Wanna know what skills I use? Overload when I can find a box to hide behind. Those Volts do good because their weaponry is good or better then everyone else's on the team.

I have no problem with the shield. I use it all the time, especially in hallways. Other team members can stand behind it if they want to or not. I think the shield is the most useful thing Volt does. I just think it's overpriced given it's lack of mobility.

Speed was definitely better without the FOV change. I don't know whose idea that was, but it wasn't very considerate to the players. I'm not even one of the ones whom it makes sick, but I can sympathize with those it does. This was a poor idea, if you were attempting to let the group know that they were in fast forward, there are better ways you can do that then FOV. It's not even really that necessary as most players will figure it out when they start double timing it. I do like it effecting the whole team, that comes in handy.

Overload, yea just nvm. I'll concentrate on something that should be easy to fix.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHOCK

Here is something that could easily be balanced better. The reason (IMO) this #1 ability feels "worthless" is because it is a cheap cost #1 ability that does 2 things (in theory) at once. Because this ability causes damage and stuns and costs only 25 energy it had to do a pitiful amount of both of those things or it would be overpowered.

Solutions? First make shock a #2 ability and make speed or shield #1 (probably shield). This way you can make shock cost 50 or even 75 energy. Then make shock worthwhile.

A) Make shock do actual damage and no stun, maybe like 600 when maxed out and slight reductions to chain damage up to 5 or 6 targets.

B) Make shock do an actual stun and no damage. Stun for like 3/4/5 and 6 seconds to 4/6/8/ and 10 targets regardless of faction. (And rename stun bolt or something.)

This would also add more use-ability to shield because even though it has limited in mobility, it will be cheep.

So it would look like this:

#1) Shield                -25 energy

#2) Shock (or stun) -50

#3) Speed               -50      (edit: speed right now is 50 not 25, some1 needs to update wiki :p)

#4) Overload           -100  (not addressed in this post)

It was kinda disappointing that something wasn't done with shock in U 9 as the topic of shock's "lack of awe" has come up again and again. But I prefer to believe that the powers that be lurk on these forms and read the posts. Hopefully they are listening.

Edited by Carcharias

Tbf it was their first official balance update. theyre not going to get all 3 of them right. I think they had to change rhino 3 times? Before getting him in a good spot.

Worst 1 belongs to trinity. Generally speaking alot of 1s become useless later half of the game unless ur ash.

And yea i agree with another volt change.

A pure damage-oriented frame simply has no place in the game until the terrible scaling gets fixed. Speed will also become fairly viable once melee as a whole becomes viable. And alternative would be to let it boost weapon firerate too.

Nova is pretty much pure damage and everyone loves her just fine. She's balanced and actually makes up for her squishiness 10 fold. Volt is just bad, armor or no armor. Volt shouldn't have anything to do with melee. He's too squishy to be in the middle of a battle. That's for tanks like Saryn or Frost. Volt is also too slow to get out of the middle. He should be more damage based (like they freaking said in his description) while being more vesatile. In context: Less damage then Nova (but still a good amount of damage), but more versatile then Nova. I use Nova alot because she is one of the more balanced frames in game now besides Excalibur and Vauban.

Nova is pretty much pure damage and everyone loves her just fine. She's balanced and actually makes up for her squishiness 10 fold. Volt is just bad, armor or no armor. Volt shouldn't have anything to do with melee. He's too squishy to be in the middle of a battle. That's for tanks like Saryn or Frost. Volt is also too slow to get out of the middle. He should be more damage based (like they freaking said in his description) while being more vesatile. In context: Less damage then Nova (but still a good amount of damage), but more versatile then Nova. I use Nova alot because she is one of the more balanced frames in game now besides Excalibur and Vauban.

Nova isnt balanced and is one boring frame to play. She is just wait for more mobs to come in range of Molecular Prime and pop it. After some time when mobs get higher levels start using Antimatter Drop that scales. In boring rank, i would dare to say she is close to Trinity.

Saying that she i balanced because she is "Glass Cannon" is a crap. Nyx is also "Glass Cannon", why is Absorb so broken? ( dont go she have MC and Chaos, because Nova have 4 usefull abilites and Nyx have 2 ). Nyx should be able to clear whole rooms, or maybe Ember, or even Volt? You cannot defend one frame that is OP compared to the other that are similar to her.

Nova isnt balanced and is one boring frame to play. She is just wait for more mobs to come in range of Molecular Prime and pop it. After some time when mobs get higher levels start using Antimatter Drop that scales. In boring rank, i would dare to say she is close to Trinity.

Saying that she i balanced because she is "Glass Cannon" is a crap. Nyx is also "Glass Cannon", why is Absorb so broken? ( dont go she have MC and Chaos, because Nova have 4 usefull abilites and Nyx have 2 ). Nyx should be able to clear whole rooms, or maybe Ember, or even Volt? You cannot defend one frame that is OP compared to the other that are similar to her.

Nyx. A glass cannon. Do you even play the game? Are you sure your talking about the same Nyx? And I never said Nova was fun to play, just that her powers make up for her horrible defenses. But again, REALLY? Nyx a glass cannon? How the hell? She is CC. Chaos- NO DAMAGE, but makes all the mobs stupid as S#&$, Mind Control- NO DAMAGE, makes 1 mob stupid as S#&$, Absorb- NOT RELIABLE DAMAGE, GREEN PARTY STREAMERS-NOT ALL THAT GREAT DAMAGE.

Glass Cannon: A character with reliable high damage output that also has low/medium to mediocre defense and medium to little crowd control. That is a glass cannon. Now please, play more games before you say something this dumb.

Nyx....glass cannon.... now I'm all riled up.

Edited by Solaurus

While the choice of words is a little harsh I would have to agree after ranking Nyx to 30 twice that she does not fit the commonly accepted definition of the term "glass cannon."

But, on point... In addition to shock being worthless (even with storm helmet and focus) I think that some re-branding might in in line too. Calling Volt "perfect for players who want a potent alternative to gun-play" is not even accurate in the slightest. I don't know if it ever was back in the day, but now this title should be given to Vauban or Nova. When I play Volt, guns are all I have to do reliable damage.