The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Corrosive Projection + Piercing Strike = 90% Ap?

Psychosist

Question

I'm not quite sure how the Aura "Corrosive Projection" works with Armor Piercing mods at the moment. I've checked the wiki article, but it doesn't note how the two mods react with each other.

I currently have a maxed out Piercing Hit mod that I equip with all of my primaries, that provides an additional 60% AP damage per shot. Now, if I'm getting the mechanics of AP correctly, Armor Piercing:

1.) Adds extra damage to shots, just like any other element

2.) Does bonus damage to certain enemies, namely Grineer

3.) Does not take armor into damage calculations, bypassing the armor scaling of enemies

The Aura Corrosive Projection claims to reduce the Armor of enemies by 30%. I would like to assume that this gives the same benefit as having a 30% AP mod, so if I were to use both the Aura and an AP mod, would the effects stack to 90%?

As in:

a) EnemyArmor*0.1 (90% stack; the percentages are combined before calculation)

or

b) EnemyArmor*0.4*0.7 (the percentages are applied one after another in the calculation)

Were they to stack to ninety-percent, would this make most Bullet/non-AI/non-AP rifles viable in higher game stages? Not T3 Void or anything, but stuff like Neptune, Uranus, perhaps Ceres.

Edit:
Question has been answered, thanks guys.

so your weapon has a base bullet damage of 100 per shot. You have a mod does 60% piercing damage. If a enemy has enough armor to reduce regular damage by 50%, your base damage would do 50 and your piercing damage would do 60 for a total of 110 per shot. To reduce regular damage by 50%, it would have 100 armor because its damage * 100/(armor+100), so 100 armor would make the bottom 200, and make you multiply damage by 0.5. So if Corrosive reduces it by 30%, it would reduce it to 70 armor. So instead of reducing base damage by 50%, it only reduces it by 41%. Then you would do 59 base damage plus 60 damage from piercing damage and deal 119 damage total per shot.

Since Armor Piercing:

3.) Does not take armor into damage calculations, bypassing the armor scaling of enemies

Corrosive Projection does not affect the extra damage that come from AP, only those damage types that are affected by armor

Edited by Psychosist

6 answers to this question

so your weapon has a base bullet damage of 100 per shot. You have a mod does 60% piercing damage. If a enemy has enough armor to reduce regular damage by 50%, your base damage would do 50 and your piercing damage would do 60 for a total of 110 per shot. To reduce regular damage by 50%, it would have 100 armor because its damage * 100/(armor+100), so 100 armor would make the bottom 200, and make you multiply damage by 0.5. So if Corrosive reduces it by 30%, it would reduce it to 70 armor. So instead of reducing base damage by 50%, it only reduces it by 41%. Then you would do 59 base damage plus 60 damage from piercing damage and deal 119 damage total per shot. Corrosive doesn't effect piercing damage and vice versa. Piercing damage ignores armor and corrosive damage reduces armor for the types of damage that don't ignore armor.

Edited by aTaVaX

Since Armor Piercing:

Corrosive Projection does not affect the extra damage that come from AP, only those damage types that are affected by armor

so your weapon has a base damage of 100 per shot. You have a mod does 60% piercing damage. If a enemy has enough armor to reduce regular damage by 50%, your base damage would do 50 and your piercing damage would do 60 for a total of 110 per shot. To reduce regular damage by 50%, it would have 100 armor. So if Corrosive reduces it by 30%, it would reduce it to 70 armor. So maybe instead of reducing base damage by 50%, it only reduces it by 41%. Then you would do 59 base damage plus 60 damage from piercing damage and deal 119 damage total per shot.

Very interesting. I didn't see it like this before. So essentially, AP damage is taken from the raw damage and is calculated into the damage formula disregarding the enemy's armor, and then added on top of the regular damage. Thanks for clearing that up.

Since Armor Piercing:

Thanks for the feedback. I thought my grasp of the mods was a little too good to be true.