Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mercury: Lares needs some balancing.

Windbow

Well, I found Lares as a 'new' mission. Yellow for me. I guess I've not looked at Mercury in a while.

Anyway, this mission (stated as Difficulty: 1-3) was quite a bit more challenging than I anticipated. Granted, I'm not the most elite of Tenno - I'm one of those slacker Tennos who pass their tests by the skin of their teeth. But still, using up 3 revives on a Mercury mission? I'm that bad a player. I think. :P

I thought, OK, I'll level up my rank 12 Ash, rank 21 burston, rank 10 bolto, rank 4 skana prime. This setup works for me on Earth and Mars. Without revives. So a level 1-3 Mercury mission should be a piece of cake. Boy was I wrong.

The mission area was simply huge! It took me about 20-30 minutes to do this mission. "Multiple bio-signatures detected!" came really often and I winced every time. Going to the target and then frantically hunting for extraction point was daunting. Leapers and chargers were stunlocking me left and right. Oh the chargers! A new player would find this mission really frustrating, imho. Considering their starter weapons and frame would still be quite low level.

I suggest reducing the number of chargers for this mission. Or perhaps their stun-locking needs to be removed? I think it's a bit too much. Especially for this early in the game. They roam in packs and close in quite quickly. It's like ancients-pass-the-parcel all over again. I would rather they be given the ability to climb walls than the stunning attacks. Wall-climbing would be useful for them considering the large open spaces and ledges we can snipe from.

Anyway, thanks for your consideration, DEdevs.

ps: I know there have been other threads about Lares - just putting my own experience out there.

Lares was put in during the patch to showcase the new area (Grineer asteroid base) to new players. I'm pretty sure the "1-3" refers to the level, not the difficulty. I believe it is a difficulty 2? Incidentally, I played this mission as a new player. It wasn't too terrible for me, personally.

My initial suspicions (especially given that you mentioned being on mars and earth currently, which between them have 5 infested levels I think?) is that the difficulty with the mission is a reflection of the new infested, and not particularly the difficulty of the mission. I could be wrong, however. How many infested maps have you run, since 6 launched?

Edited by Zythi

Quite a few. But I was using a higher level frame and weapons in those. Felt the power of the chargers but nothing my trusty rank30 braton and flaming heat sword couldn't handle. What is level and difficulty anyway? What exactly do they mean?

Also, I think the mission area is a bit too big for such an early mission. Just my opinion, of course.

Edited by Windbow

Quite a few. But I was using a higher level frame and weapons in those. Felt the power of the chargers but nothing my trusty rank30 braton and flaming heat sword couldn't handle. What is level and difficulty anyway? What exactly do they mean?

Also, I think the mission area is a bit too big for such an early mission. Just my opinion, of course.

Difficulty is spawn size and rate, while level indicates the level of the enemies inside the zone.

Example: A level 5-6 difficult 4 mission will spawn fairly big packs, but they will be mostly levels 5 and 6. While a level 20-25 mission that is difficulty 2 might only spawn a small handful of enemies per wave, but they'll be between levels 20 and 25.

I really couldn't say what the problem was. Maybe some sort of spawn glitch? I literally just ran the level with a level 1 excalibur prime frame, level 5 braton, level 4 sicarius and a level 10 cronus. The cronus helped (and is probably higher level than most have at that level) but aside from avoiding the bullet sponge ancients it was easily doable in ~12 mins. Admittedly, it required a little bit of meta-gaming knowledge (kite all the infested, don't engage ancients, jumping off ramps to force infected to run around) but wasn't /too/ terrible. The spawns did seem surprisingly frequent though.

Friend of mine had some trouble here until I helped him out...

4 toxic ancients spawned in like the same room, which take like...more than a full clip of a mk 1 braton at the level you're at when you hit this mission.

chargers kill new players really fast too.

I think the fact that the mission area is so large also affects the perceived difficulty. More enemies will spawn as you move along. Sometimes you get trapped (eg. in the pipes, chargers coming on both sides). I did it solo so perhaps this mission is not meant for new players to solo?

@Zythi: Thanks for that info! How did you find that out? It's something that's been puzzling me for a while. :P

It's because the rooms are huge. You go to one end, they spawn behind you. Go to them, more spawn the other side.

I spent almost half an hour running back and forth when I did it last. Chews through the battery on my mouse like crazy.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened to me too. Luckily, I don't have a cordless mouse. Yet. :/

I played it today. It's a little bugged. There is no waypoint from start to finish. I went in overleveled for the mission and it took a good bit of time to clear, with someone joining me halfway. It wasn't hard because I had an Ember warframe (with low double digit weapons) AOEing all the big groups, but it would have been quite another story if I had a different non-damage dealing warframe with no AOE abilities. As such it's likely to hard without a full party for newcomers.