The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Relic system needs a change

Shockness

Greetings,

The current relic system could use some improvement.

It's really annoying having to spam the recruit chat to find a squad to do the same relic as you do, it would really be a lot easier and more smooth if when choosing a relic you could also choose if the people that you match up with are qeueing for the same relic and/or the same rarity (Intact, Radiant).

This would clear up the recruit chat a lot more for people that need help or w/e and finding a squad to farm a certain relic would be much easier.

Its not that I wouldn't appreciate it.

But that I blame ease of access systems for destroying popular games.

World of Warcraft insta que to dungeon, causing power leveling, things only got easier from there. Now their base numbers are lower than launch.

Runescape... well they removed the free will of trading for a while, and made PKing - a very important and popular past time for a large amount of the community - die. But added a Grand exchange devaluing things, for some reason nobody noticed how broken the Exchange rate was, I wont go into detail, but Runescape was simply trying to rid bots, but got rid of more loving fans in the process. Also added free teleports nearly all over the map, undermined hard playing players from the highscores adding a extreme P2W Xp farming option even though the game already had a separate p2p & f2p worlds.. They now have dedicated Oldschool servers from 07 (with its own unique content) and is more popular than the current game. 

These were a couple of games that were important milestones in my gaming history. 

Maybe its something more, but I personally blame ease of access for destroying these games. It tears apart Culture within the community of the game, less interaction is less bonding. And while most of the public chat is spam and 'cancer' as some say, its still a reason people log on with a purpose.

2 hours ago, (XB1)Evilpricetag said:

Its not that I wouldn't appreciate it.

But that I blame ease of access systems for destroying popular games.

World of Warcraft insta que to dungeon, causing power leveling, things only got easier from there. Now their base numbers are lower than launch.

Runescape... well they removed the free will of trading for a while, and made PKing - a very important and popular past time for a large amount of the community - die. But added a Grand exchange devaluing things, for some reason nobody noticed how broken the Exchange rate was, I wont go into detail, but Runescape was simply trying to rid bots, but got rid of more loving fans in the process. Also added free teleports nearly all over the map, undermined hard playing players from the highscores adding a extreme P2W Xp farming option even though the game already had a separate p2p & f2p worlds.. They now have dedicated Oldschool servers from 07 (with its own unique content) and is more popular than the current game. 

These were a couple of games that were important milestones in my gaming history. 

Maybe its something more, but I personally blame ease of access for destroying these games. It tears apart Culture within the community of the game, less interaction is less bonding. And while most of the public chat is spam and 'cancer' as some say, its still a reason people log on with a purpose.

Last night I tried to get a 4th going for a radiant relic, I waited 20 minutes and went through 5 different people because all of them found out they had not traces, read the relic wrong or just left for no reason. If anything this discourages me to ever play squads again, it's a terrible experience trying to find squads.

And btw, I do not think Grand Exchange etc.. was the reasonf or RS dying, I've played it too around 2007 and for me the reason to quit was tbh the graphical change they made and don't forget the content you can only get through being a member.

I'll throw in my 2 cents although it's a little unrelated to your own suggestion.

Do relics need changes? I'd say yes, because they're like void keys, (with many improvements, mind you) but with another layer of grind that gives inconsistent rewards.
Seriously, spending any amount of time doing a Fissure mission and getting 6 void traces, running another and then getting 25 isn't fun, even with a booster.
The primary reason I believe we should be rid of the Trace farming is because with Void Keys, all the drops had the same drop chance from each rotation, with certain items only being rarer because they drop from Rotation C in a T4 mission, (Going off memory, couldn't find confirmation, I'm ready to be wrong) and not because they have a 2% drop chance. (or 10% if you farmed up 100 traces with drops ranging 6-30 per mission)

As another point of contention I say: What exactly is the point of refining to Flawless or Exceptional?
The drop chances for commons is highest on Intact, uncommons and rares are highest on Radiant, thus no point to refining to Exceptional or Flawless, since they don't provide any benefit. I find it rather dumb to have to farm the same amount of traces to farm for uncommon drops as I do for rares, and think that drop chances should be adjusted so that Exceptional and/or Flawless provide higher uncommon drop chances, the same rare chances, and less commons. It's just a concept idea, really, but all in all I'd like to only have to farm for 75 traces per relic when I just want the uncommon and not the rare, instead of 100.

There are many great things about relics, and I generally like the differences between relics and keys.
Namely that relic sharing is a lot better than keysharing, simply because you must have a relic of your own to get an item, and the ability to check a person's loadout for what relic they're carrying. (I'd like to see a system addressing the same issue come to Mutalist Alad V keys and the likes one day as well, but it might be hard to implement)
Having the actual drops listed in-game is fantastic, as I no longer need to sit with the wiki page open on another screen to know where stuff drops.
No longer being limited to the same mission type and map over and over and over is also a huge improvement.

TL;DR: Make non-radiant refinement worthwhile, more consistent trace drops, and as the biggest preference equalize drop chances.

On 3/11/2018 at 2:10 PM, Shockness said:

Last night I tried to get a 4th going for a radiant relic, I waited 20 minutes and went through 5 different people because all of them found out they had not traces, read the relic wrong or just left for no reason. If anything this discourages me to ever play squads again, it's a terrible experience trying to find squads.

And btw, I do not think Grand Exchange etc.. was the reasonf or RS dying, I've played it too around 2007 and for me the reason to quit was tbh the graphical change they made and don't forget the content you can only get through being a member.

Well I will say, unfortinatly my PC cant seem to run any game atm, but what I have played, Its much more crowded, its much easier on Xbox, as the smallest of all the communities. To form a group or even trade isn't that bad, not to say I haven't run into any of the same issues you do. And I do solo farm traces. Specific Relic opening & Sorties are the only things I see group-worthy (unless I"m playing with friends). I do random relic groups when I just want a chance at rarity for Void Trader.

As for the GE in RS, say I sold a bucket for 1 gp, you bought one for 2, I was next in line for cheepest seller for your purchase. The GE would give you back your 1 gp because it found a cheaper sale, and it would give me 2 gp for finding a higher buyer. So now there is a Bucket and 3gp at the end of the trade in existance, when there was only a Bucket and 2gp. This worked with any value of things, Back when whips were 14mill. as long as there wasn't any inbetween margine of traders, it would give both traders the converted Gp generating thousands, millions of coins out of nowhere, destroying the market. Players were capable of capping out coin piles until they had to have a second pile of coins in their inventory. Its an RPG a GE should have a tax to be used, not some backwards paying the player(s)?

Anyway yes there is more to RS's demise.

And as for f2p and p2p... well I mean Members get it all sure, but they had no real advantage over free players, their servers were separate, a member could go into a free 2 play, but wasn't able to use anything from a members world. They were two separate cultures. Members did have faster leveling, but that only gets you so far, as its not impossible for a free player to have all the same stats and gear as you in their own world. <- That is free to play done right. Paying for more is optional, but aside from high scores, does not give you a significant advantage in pvp. And the Wilderness only adds to that statistic. Which from my understanding has been fixed.

I too get discouraged at times from Relic farming. I work 12h days, have a kid, work as much over time as possible, but I dont give up. I'm not totally against the idea of some improved 'relic grouping' system, but why would they stop with that. And even so, players still abuse systems like this, and join just to leave randomly.

I'm not sure how doable it is because of how hosting works, but they should be able to setup a group finder for relics and more. For the relics, it could be populated the same way as in recruiting, where you can pick from what you have in your inventory. There could be a check box for radiant or intact, since from the way it works now I don't believe the quick lookup can see radiants.

It's definitely a feature that could be implemented one way or another, just a matter of the UI for it. I can't imagine it would add that much in terms of temporary bandwidth needs since it would be drawing mostly from data that DE's systems can already read quickly server-side. Just needs to be set that people can't enter missions while their group/relic matching window is up, and there would have to be a limit as to how many shares you could try to be matched with at once, and a lockout to a share once you're matched to one or more other players.