Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do get Xbox controller working on PC?

ParryForte

Question

Hey friends.

Bit of a weird one here, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, so maybe you can help.

The scenario: I play Warframe from the couch. Prior to moving to PC to play with some friends, I was on PS4. I like playing with a controller due to epic slouching.

Steam is configured in Big Picture Mode. I have an Xbox One controller, Bluetooth edition.

Now, the challenge.

When Steam's global controller settings aren't configured (e.g., not set to "Xbox Controller") the game works fine. Flawlessly. It picks up the correct glyphs for the controller (blue X, yellow Y, etc.). However, this isn't great as many games whine, and I play things other than Warframe, so.

When Steam's global controller settings are set to Xbox Controller, Warframe has issues. The glyphs in-game switch to faded blue X, Y, etc., but more alarming, the buttons don't work :) Specifically, you can't navigate menus with the D-pad, and things like when in your Arsenel pressing X for appearance and Y for mods do nothing. The Steam setting has these configured for Ability 1, Ability 2, but setting them to "X Button" or "Y Button" has no effect. You can manually assign the D-pad in the configuration settings (which work) but assigning legacy controls (X Button, Y Button) to the face buttons has no effect.

Warframe's default controller profile is for a Steam controller, so ahah! I thought, let's just set it to a generic gamepad. Nope, no such luck: reconfiguring the controller for a generic gamepad doesn't fix it. Broken glyphs, buttons not working, etc.

Go back into Steam's global settings, switch off the Xbox controller, and Warframe goes back to working fine. However, forcing per-game the controller setting to be "off" for Warframe doesn't fix it.

My hunch is that Warframe *correctly* detects an Xbox Controller without Steam's XInput jank in the way, but with Steam trying to be "helpful" everything breaks.

I suspect this needs an actual patch to fix it correctly, but I thought I might check with the community to see if anyone's actually got this working, and how.

I have also tried applying one of the 7,432 community mappings, to no effect. They all have the same problems with e.g. X, Y input buttons.

HALP

4 answers to this question

46 minutes ago, ParryForte said:

Go back into Steam's global settings, switch off the Xbox controller, and Warframe goes back to working fine.

I can now report this is no longer the case - something I've done has stopped the controller from working regardless of the Steam setting.

As long as Steam is in Big Picture Mode, it's broken. It even breaks the mouse/keyboard controls, even if menu items are switch from autodetect to off.

If I leave BPM, then I can use the mouse and keyboard. Something really weird is going on.

EDIT: I have a hunch this is a bug. If you exit BPM and have none of Steam's stuff going on, the X and Y buttons still don't work, and neither do the glyphs. Possibly one of the zillion recent hotfixes?

Edited by ParryForte
Update current situation with more data

It would seem that you neglected to read the numerous existing threads, and bug report threads, discussing the current quirks with the PC controller interface.

While the latest mainline update added a more detailed and customizable controller interface, certain functionality is not working correctly. Such as navigating in the Arsenal, to change mods and appearance, using X and Y buttons (Xbox config). Though navigation in the Foundry and Relic consoles works. 

Give the folks at DE time to find the root of the problems, and we should hopefully see a fix next week, or soon after. Till then, I’ve kept the controller interface off, and simply use kb&m to navigate in my Arsenal, Foundry, etc, the same as I did pre-update. The game is still fully playable with a controller in missions, which is where it really matters.