Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Uses For Blocking?

KF5AQX

First off, let me start by saying I'm not sure what sub-forum to put this in, so if any mod who happens to be dropping by could double check, that'd be great.

Now, onto the meat of the post. Currently, block is nearly useless. It is rarely used, and often it's key is left unused and ignored. What I suggest is to change that, in one very simple manner: Have it block knock downs/staggers.

In the tutorial, when Vor hits you with the blast from his key, you block it and skid backward. Why not have that happen in the actual game, when you block a shockwave from a MOA? Taking it a step further, why not have it block staggering (Like from Chargers and Ancients), and knock down from Grineer Shield bashes? And why not have it block status affects too, like the energy drain from Disruptors. This actually used to be a feature, but the Ancient update removed it for no apparent reason.

Thoughts, rages, ideas, changes, and comments are welcomed!

First off, let me start by saying I'm not sure what sub-forum to put this in, so if any mod who happens to be dropping by could double check, that'd be great.

Now, onto the meat of the post. Currently, block is nearly useless. It is rarely used, and often it's key is left unused and ignored. What I suggest is to change that, in one very simple manner: Have it block knock downs/staggers.

In the tutorial, when Vor hits you with the blast from his key, you block it and skid backward. Why not have that happen in the actual game, when you block a shockwave from a MOA? Taking it a step further, why not have it block staggering (Like from Chargers and Ancients), and knock down from Grineer Shield bashes? And why not have it block status affects too, like the energy drain from Disruptors. This actually used to be a feature, but the Ancient update removed it for no apparent reason.

Thoughts, rages, ideas, changes, and comments are welcomed!

I have mastery rank 8 and I don't even know how to use block ._.

Just remove block. As many people have already pointed out, it's just too damn pointless. I honestly don't even think it's worth trying to work it into the game. When was the last time you were in a gun fight and you blocked the bullets? Since you encounter bullet storms much more then melee wielding enemies, why even have block. It's easy to not get touched by a melee enemy.

Edited by KingKeif

I have mastery rank 8 and I don't even know how to use block ._.

It's standard mapped to mouse 4 I believe. And this just shows how useless it currently is. It doesn't even block damage by a noticeable amount.

Blocking reduces damage, slightly.

Prevents knockdowns, but will stagger you.

And disruptors won't steal your shields and energy.

It's good, but I never use it as I find nowhere where I'd hotkey it over Sprinting, Movement, Aiming, and Crouching/ Sliding.

Oh, and when your down and you use Block it stands you up awkwardly.

Melee mods that enhance blocking would be nice, I'd certainly use it compared to a reach mod.

I like the idea of sliding backwards instead of being staggered/knocked down.

Some blocking mod ideas;

Blocking energy weapons could replenish shields - Electric capacitor.

Rage meter which goes down constantly, but when you gather enough rage you could have an increased attack speed with melee for a few seconds (3-5sec).

Take no damage but instead lose energy rather than of shield/health damage.

Countering/Timing a block at the same time you are stuck with a melee weapon could stagger your enemy.

Blocking could reduce more damage, however if you block for too long you will drop your weapon and have to retrive it 'press x'

Blocking reduces damage, slightly.

Prevents knockdowns, but will stagger you.

And disruptors won't steal your shields and energy.

It's good, but I never use it as I find nowhere where I'd hotkey it over Sprinting, Movement, Aiming, and Crouching/ Sliding.

Oh, and when your down and you use Block it stands you up awkwardly.

Sadly, it doesn't stop knockdowns. I've tested it with both Jackal and Hyena shockwaves, as well as standard MOAs and Grineer shield bashes. It does reduce damage (By about ten percent.) and it did indeed used to stop shield and energy drain. However, if you try it now, it will drain your shields. I suspect the model update had something to do with it.

Currently blocking is only good for stopping 10% of the damage, which next to no one uses it for, ever.

I find block useful......for interrupting reloads just after the 75% mark.

Most single swords are extremely lackluster.  I wonder if two birds can be hit with one stone by drastically increasing the effectiveness of blocking with single swords.  Super-jedi mode where you deflect 70+% of the bullets coming at you or something when blocking with a single blade.

Edited by GeneralArmchair