Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Enemy Ai Needs Coding Changes.

Aspari

I find that the immersion is constantly being broken because of how enemies react to player actions and how enemies engage in combat. Sometimes the enemies simply go full retard and start shooting at you when you're being a snowglobe, simply standing in place waiting to be shot to pieces. Sometimes the enemies don't shoot at you at all. Sometimes the enemies don't stop shooting at you until they're dead. It's like the enemies (not including Infested) don't give a care about their lives. 

I know that the AI in the Darkness 2 is the same AI as what's being used for Warframe. It works fine in The Darkness 2 because it's a linear first person shooter that doesn't have any emphasis on mobility and because The Brotherhood enemies are all suicidal anyway. But in Warframe, that AI really doesn't work well. 

Take a look at E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy's AI. The enemies will run away as soon as they're too badly injured to keep fighting, they'll try to sneak up on you when they think you're not paying attention, they'll run for cover when they're exposed for too long, they'll get really courageous and charge at you when they think they can take you on, they'll adjust their aim and positions based on how you position yourself and how mobile you are, and they even start to freak out when you killed all of their allies and left the weakest guy standing. That type of AI would work perfectly for Warframe because that type of AI is designed for immersion and for providing a believable and fair challenge (granted that you play E.Y.E. on Hard difficulty with normal AI configuration.)

I'm not saying copy anyone else's AI coding or anything, but enemy AI needs to have changes. Part of the reason everyone complains about the game being too easy is the fact that enemy AI is not very intelligent.

I'm pretty sure I'd be really, insanely, entirely, and whole-heartedly furious if every enemy I almost killed started to run away.  It's already annoying enough when it happens every now and then...

That being said, yes, perhaps standing out in the open firing onto a globe isn't the best AI decision making.

Sometimes I witness something I'd like to call "Infested Square-dancing"... when Runners start running around each other, this tends to happen in Defense missions, kinda funny to watch them circling each other. Once it was a Grineer Lancer, he just started spinning himself, while I and a friend of mine watched.

The AI at times just feels plain stupid.

Like the Grineer, I've yet to witness one of them toss a grenade that reaches its destination. They fail to reach me all the time.

AI in most games is very basic at best. The only time i ever felt challenged by a games AI was in the original Half-Life where marines worked as a pack and were highly unpredictable. Sometimes they'd sit back and just hurl loads of grenades at u to flush u out. Other times, they'd rush u or flank your position or get a height advantage so they could pummel you, etc. 

atm, warframe is just a duckhunt as u run around plinking enemies in to oblivion in 1-3 bullets because they all just stand there. The moment they are programmed to gang up and work together, it would be a turning point in this game. The moment mobs start lobbing powerful grenades in to that safe haven of a snowglobe is when snowglobe suddenly becomes not so OP any more.  Honestly though, i dont see all that ever happening cos programming AI is hard as F***. 

AI in most games is very basic at best. The only time i ever felt challenged by a games AI was in the original Half-Life where marines worked as a pack and were highly unpredictable. Sometimes they'd sit back and just hurl loads of grenades at u to flush u out. Other times, they'd rush u or flank your position or get a height advantage so they could pummel you, etc. 

atm, warframe is just a duckhunt as u run around plinking enemies in to oblivion in 1-3 bullets because they all just stand there. The moment they are programmed to gang up and work together, it would be a turning point in this game. The moment mobs start lobbing powerful grenades in to that safe haven of a snowglobe is when snowglobe suddenly becomes not so OP any more.  Honestly though, i dont see all that ever happening cos programming AI is hard as F***. 

When was the last time you played the halflife series?  Yes, occasionally they did flank, but most of the time the enemies either stood where they spawned, moved to cover only to poke at you from behind said cover, or ran striaght towards you.  Otherwise everything you said is true.

Edited by MeteorKing