Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nova Needs A Nerf. Big Time.

Daihazi

I'll be honest here, I really don't care for any abilities considered broken in this game because i know If it really is broken it will get tweaked and placed accordingly.

BUT One thing I really cannot stand though Is me not being able to do something (aka me playing as Ash or Loki grinding for mods on a high level defense mission) because there are no enemies to shoot at when theres Nova M-Priming everything.I really really do not care for the quick xp gain because I usually like to take in the aspect of the game and do things the more time consuming way leveling wise.

I've literally been on Xini before and afk'd to go out and smoke a cigarette because I wasn't able to shoot something, I signed up to play Warframe and help DE with viable feedback. not sit pretty and do nothing. If i wanted to do that I'd might as well go back in time to when I was a little kid Botting for Exp on Runescape or just go Play Vauban or Frost. But am I going to wail and cry all over the forums about it? No.

Than again, Untill the game comes to full bloom no one should even be Crying over anything same goes for myself. for christs sakes THIS GAME IS STILL IN BETA we should be giving them suggestions not start throwing napalms on the forums, than again this is the internet.

There are many in this community incapable of seeing beyond the end of the day, or applying a modicum of common sense.

To spell it out, the game has recently undergone changes to level scaling; those changes would have been in testing internally for several weeks if not months. Further, Nova was released in the midst of those changes so any internal testing would have occurred facing harder enemies, and the scaling of her skills would have been directly affected. We also know, assuming you have bothered to watch past live streams, that they are aware older frames do not scale correctly with newer content and have said they would be revisited.

In clear English, it takes time to get everything balanced when a game undergoes changes and additions in stages; &!$$ off for a couple of months if it bothers you and come back when things are better.

Fwiw, I own both Nova and Vauban and have not played either since capping them, frost prime is the same, I won’t even use them when I chose to solo higher level content for the difficulty and would much rather run t3 void or Pluto in frames like Mag, Trinity and Ember than either of those frames. While both new frames are strong in endless defence, that is not the only content in this game. Stop worrying about what makes things easier, challenge yourselves; take the frame you consider the worst in the game restrict yourselves to using melee only and go solo Pluto or Eris and have fun.

So, lets think - high lvl Infested def, Vauban required, high lvl Grineer/Corpus def, Frost required. Nova required for either ?

Not so much.

I have all the frames, some are stronger than others, some are pretty much required for certain missions and some are fun. Video your experiences of Nova players, I'd like to see them kill a boss with just  MP. I suspect you're talking crap but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Vauban Required for infested? Wut?

There are many in this community incapable of seeing beyond the end of the day, or applying a modicum of common sense.

To spell it out, the game has recently undergone changes to level scaling; those changes would have been in testing internally for several weeks if not months. Further, Nova was released in the midst of those changes so any internal testing would have occurred facing harder enemies, and the scaling of her skills would have been directly affected. We also know, assuming you have bothered to watch past live streams, that they are aware older frames do not scale correctly with newer content and have said they would be revisited.

I'm anticipating the list on Update 10 and to see how everything will play out till than I might as well keep on taking those smoke breaks on defense missions^

I'm anticipating the list on Update 10 and to see how everything will play out till than I might as well keep on taking those smoke breaks on defense missions^

So you like being a leech and use the Nova as a scapegoat/excuse to continue doing so? That's pretty pathetic.

If you want to go on a smokebreak, do it while you're not in a mission; leech

So you like being a leech and use the Nova as a scapegoat/excuse to continue doing so? That's pretty pathetic.

Instead of being lazy and just reading that  one message go read the one above that i wrote. I absolutely refuse to sit down in front of my computer for 5 minutes straight watching Nova 1 shot everything when i can enjoy a nice and relaxing smoke, Thank you.

Edited by ThatShadyGuy

I think he meant that he got no choice. He can either sit there and watch a Rambo movie where Nova takes the place of Sylvester Stallone, or go afk and actually do something else (like smoking or whatever).

Instead of being lazy and just reading that  one message go read the one above that i wrote. I absolutely refuse to sit down in front of my computer for 5 minutes straight watching Nova 1 shot everything when i can enjoy a nice and relaxing smoke, Thank you.

Sorry I was afk on a nice and relaxing smokebreak. ^_^

Seriously though, even suggesting to abandon your team and going afk whilst in a mission for whatever reason is leeching.

So my advice to everyone? Don't do defense with randoms and go with your clanmates instead.

EDIT: I read your other message now, but my response still stands. I mean, a Nova using MPrime is the same as any other frame spamming their ultimate (well, except Loki because he is sad). But kindly stop using Nova as a scapegoat, thank you.

Edited by Danakar

Seriously though, even suggesting to abandon your team and going afk whilst in a mission for whatever reason is leeching.

So my advice to everyone? Don't do defense with randoms and go with your clanmates instead.

EDIT: I read your other message now, but my response still stands. I mean, a Nova using MPrime is the same as any other frame spamming their ultimate (well, except Loki because he is sad). But kindly stop using Nova as a scapegoat, thank you.

I m fine with Nova spamming ult as long as they do it near the pod and dont deny me xp.

But IF they spawn camp and deny me xp, I will do funny things, like not doing globe if i m frost, or not doing bastille, letting enemy destroy the pod, resulting in mission failure, or even at reward screen if nova is the only one opting to continue, i will also opt to continue but will change my option to exit at the last second. Seriously, if any player(s) deny me xp, I will troll them to no end. And if they are host and I am saryn, then I will lag/crash them outrightly using venom.

That applies to any player who try to deny me xp, not necessarily nova. But usually Nova players are more annoying in this regard cuz others usually have to run back to pod/teammates after first few waves, whereas Nova just stays at spawn camp pressing 4 4 4 4 4 4...

Edited by rksk16it

It's not exactly leeching if you can't do anything to contribute anyway.

Mad thought, shoot stuff

This made me giggle :P

He is right tho... just use ur ****ing weapon !!

But those are exactly what I am levelling, so they don't do anything! Just let me get my easymodo XP, you don't have to nerf nova because anything!

It's not exactly leeching if you can't do anything to contribute anyway.

You can still shoot stuff or protect the pod. Going into a mission with the intention to afk at the spawnpoint because of <insert random excuse here> is leeching.

I agree (somewhat) with rksk16it though that spawncampers aren't nice as they force you to run all the way over there if a mod drops; which leaves the pod unguarded. However, devising plans to intentionally troll people for it is not nice either in my opinion.

I guess I'm the odd-Nova-out or something then as I practically hug the pod at all times and use my MPrime only when a large group reaches the  platform. My clan-mates do the same and wait until mobs come up the ramp and stairs. That way everything drops nicely around the pod so everybody can just run around the pod and get everything without missing out on anything. ^_^

Edited by Danakar

I agree (somewhat) with rksk16it though that spawncampers aren't nice as they force you to run all the way over there if a mod drops; which leaves the pod unguarded. However, devising plans to intentionally troll people for it is not nice either in my opinion.

I dont really care for mod/resource drops, I can atleast run and get them after each wave. But what is lost is XP. Spawncampers usually kill mobs which are VERY far from pod, and those kills give ZERO xp to us "idiots" who are standing at the pod.

I am sorry, I try to be nice, but if someone in my team starts acting like a d****bag, then I will do the same.

Edited by rksk16it

I dont really care for mod/resource drops, I can atleast run and get them after each wave. But what is lost is XP. Spawncampers usually kill mobs which are VERY far from pod, and those kills give ZERO xp to us "idiots" who are standing at the pod.

I am sorry, I try to be nice, but if someone in my team starts acting like a d****bag, then I will do the same.

Ah, alright. Yeah I guess if those spawncampers do it intentionally just to deny others any xp then I understand it can become very annoying. Usually I care very little for xp so I thought you were angry about having to run over for mods and such. But I can see how you'd like to keep everyone at least within range so everyone can get their share of xp.

Never realized the xp is limited to a certain range...

I'll be honest here, I really don't care for any abilities considered broken in this game because i know If it really is broken it will get tweaked and placed accordingly.

BUT One thing I really cannot stand though Is me not being able to do something (aka me playing as Ash or Loki grinding for mods on a high level defense mission) because there are no enemies to shoot at when theres Nova M-Priming everything.I really really do not care for the quick xp gain because I usually like to take in the aspect of the game and do things the more time consuming way leveling wise.

I've literally been on Xini before and afk'd to go out and smoke a cigarette because I wasn't able to shoot something, I signed up to play Warframe and help DE with viable feedback. not sit pretty and do nothing. If i wanted to do that I'd might as well go back in time to when I was a little kid Botting for Exp on Runescape or just go Play Vauban or Frost. But am I going to wail and cry all over the forums about it? No.

Than again, Untill the game comes to full bloom no one should even be Crying over anything same goes for myself. for christs sakes THIS GAME IS STILL IN BETA we should be giving them suggestions not start throwing napalms on the forums, than again this is the internet.

Xini is a mission catered to Nova. The issue behind M-Prime is more a player issue than a skill issue. I have been on a region where a Sayrin and Nova covered 1 section of the map. The Frost/Vaubin covered the other side. We rotated every once and awhile and it was great fun.

The problem is players are obsessed with Damage Dealt and Enemies Killed in the post game lobby. M-Prime is a tool to try and revert a bad situation. It's a form of Panic-type skill but not a true one. XP is shared across a fairly wide range too. I highly doubt you are missing any real XP on Xini the map is too small. Which mean's it attracts farmers.

- Farmers are only interested in getting mods/materials as quick as possible.

- They do not care if you get XP or Materials out of it themselves.

- They just need you to increase the spawn rate of enemies.

Those kinds of players are the ones who quit after a boss dies and nothing drops, or the wrong BP drops. They don't care about the game all they care about is perfecting themselves to see the biggest damage at the fastest rate. Rather sad really. These are also the kinds of players who door-camp on Xini or spam Ultimates rather than just shooting them. Really though it's much faster to blow a wave up at once than to shoot it all.

Xini = Ult Spam

Outer Terminus = Snowglobe + Bullet Spam (really do need a Frost for this one to get far)

Io = UIt Spam

*Note two of those are lower level mission and they are also infested missions.

Most defense maps are ult-spam. Players enjoy things dying quickly. The new Phobos defense map is rather fun though as you had a defended position to shoot from. I have yet to really even need to use an Ult on that map.

Player problem not Warframe problem. People are failing to realize the real issue and it's not Nova. Think of this. Please note I use "we" to mean players because the dev's seem to like where Nova and Vauban are and are more interested in improving the other Warframes.

If we nerf M-Prime's Range then how useful will it be outside of Infested Defense? The answer is not very much because the effect of increasing Damage Taken will be on less targets.

If we nerf the range of the detonation but not the Prime itself, perhaps that would be acceptable. M-Prime is about as big as World on Fire in terms of effective range. Well that greatly reduces it's ability to Chain in anything but open-spaces with a horde of infested. That rather diminishes it as an Ultimate.

If the damage is nerfed well it loses it's capacity to clear off Light Unit's quickly while also dealing moderate damage to Heavy Units.

Basically you can't reduce the skill and still have it effective. Take it up with the player. Normally I just ask them to move closer to the pod if they want to keep blasting. Most of the time they just like seeing explosions and big numbers and are more than willing to move back. They still get to slaughter and I don't have to run across the map for a pickup. Xini is not end-game by far it's mid-game at best.

If

Edited by Estred

Does Nova perform extremely well at Defense missions? Yes. Yes indeed.
Does Nova perform better than other caster frames at Defense missions? Yeah, at least in my experience.
Does Nova perform better than other caster frames in non-defense missions? Not that I've really seen.

It seems to me that the "NOVA IS OP!1!!!" movement is powered by two things:

1. Nova's Antimatter Drop and Molecular Prime are the only damage abilities with any kind of scaling (AD scales with gun damage if you shoot it, MP scales with the number of enemies around). Other casters are butthurt because their abilites don't scale. Obviously the solution to this is to fix OTHER DAMAGING ABILITIES to scale with SOMETHING so they're not useless against high-level mobs.

2. Nova is really really good at defense. And, right now, the Super High Level Game is defense spam. So, OF COURSE Nova seems OP. But it's just an illusion.

1. Nova's Antimatter Drop and Molecular Prime are the only damage abilities with any kind of scaling (AD scales with gun damage if you shoot it, MP scales with the number of enemies around).

Actually Saryn's Venom also scales with number of spore pods destroyed. It just only manages to scale better than Nova's abilities when enemy levels start to get out of control in defense missions. Edited by Grilleds

You can still shoot stuff or protect the pod. Going into a mission with the intention to afk at the spawnpoint because of <insert random excuse here> is leeching.

I guess I'm the odd-Nova-out or something then as I practically hug the pod at all times and use my MPrime only when a large group reaches the platform. My clan-mates do the same and wait until mobs come up the ramp and stairs. That way everything drops nicely around the pod so everybody can just run around the pod and get everything without missing out on anything. ^_^

I come to Xini with the intention of doing the objective good sir, If you obviously think I do that on EVERY Xini mission you are not only wrong but very dim witted to be bluntly honest, I do not get paired with Novas ALL The time and quite frankly some of them are terribad, and yes I play more with my friends than pugs, You literally cannot get the hint of sarcasm with the " ^ " in the end of the damn sentence, thank you mr big tough forum hero, thank you.

Not to mention most Novas That I DO encounter on Xini sits in front of a spawn point away from the pod like rksk16it mentioned robbing me of mod drops that I have to leave the Pod unguarded, I get frustrated and go smoke a cigarette, please arrest me for intenational tenno crimes pls. And as Estred said Those farmers who are Greedy enough to just sit in front of a  spawn point  irks me, hence the cigarette once again.

I'm done on this topic and Would rather much hear what others have to say now.

Xini is a mission catered to Nova. The issue behind M-Prime is more a player issue than a skill issue. I have been on a region where a Sayrin and Nova covered 1 section of the map. The Frost/Vaubin covered the other side. We rotated every once and awhile and it was great fun.

The problem is players are obsessed with Damage Dealt and Enemies Killed in the post game lobby. M-Prime is a tool to try and revert a bad situation. It's a form of Panic-type skill but not a true one. XP is shared across a fairly wide range too. I highly doubt you are missing any real XP on Xini the map is too small. Which mean's it attracts farmers.

- Farmers are only interested in getting mods/materials as quick as possible.

- They do not care if you get XP or Materials out of it themselves.

- They just need you to increase the spawn rate of enemies.

Those kinds of players are the ones who quit after a boss dies and nothing drops, or the wrong BP drops. They don't care about the game all they care about is perfecting themselves to see the biggest damage at the fastest rate. Rather sad really. These are also the kinds of players who door-camp on Xini or spam Ultimates rather than just shooting them. Really though it's much faster to blow a wave up at once than to shoot it all.

Xini = Ult Spam

Outer Terminus = Snowglobe + Bullet Spam (really do need a Frost for this one to get far)

Io = UIt Spam

*Note two of those are lower level mission and they are also infested missions.

Most defense maps are ult-spam. Players enjoy things dying quickly. The new Phobos defense map is rather fun though as you had a defended position to shoot from. I have yet to really even need to use an Ult on that map.

Player problem not Warframe problem. People are failing to realize the real issue and it's not Nova. Think of this. Please note I use "we" to mean players because the dev's seem to like where Nova and Vauban are and are more interested in improving the other Warframes.

Well of course, like I said I hate the fact that I sometimes can't do anything, theres been plenty of other times where this has happened without Nova. Unfortunately for me I have not been able to Play the new Phobos defense map because I've been on vacation for almost 2 weeks now but I really do plan on appreciating it from what information ive gathered on the structure of the map and what ive heard from friends. Like I said a earlier in the forum, I don't care about Nova nor people saying "pls nerf OP" it's up to Steve and the others to decide if Nova actually IS over powered in their eyes, which you said urself, they like where Nova and Vauban are and are focusing on improving the other frames.

Edited by ThatShadyGuy

If we nerf M-Prime's Range then how useful will it be outside of Infested Defense? The answer is not very much because the effect of increasing Damage Taken will be on less targets.

If we nerf the range of the detonation but not the Prime itself, perhaps that would be acceptable. M-Prime is about as big as World on Fire in terms of effective range. Well that greatly reduces it's ability to Chain in anything but open-spaces with a horde of infested. That rather diminishes it as an Ultimate.

If the damage is nerfed well it loses it's capacity to clear off Light Unit's quickly while also dealing moderate damage to Heavy Units.

Basically you can't reduce the skill and still have it effective. Take it up with the player. Normally I just ask them to move closer to the pod if they want to keep blasting. Most of the time they just like seeing explosions and big numbers and are more than willing to move back. They still get to slaughter and I don't have to run across the map for a pickup. Xini is not end-game by far it's mid-game at best.

Yes I know its player problem not Nova specific. Its just that its easy to do this using Nova against relatively higher enemies than other frames can do. For example, I have seen many Saryn and Rhino players also do the same, but after first few waves they are not able to insta-gib all of them, and its possible to run there and get some xp. With Nova its.. "whoosh !! bam !!"... and no xp for you, and it continues till MUCH MUCH farther than what typical Saryn/Rhino players can manage. And by the time that annoying Nova player can no longer insta-gib everyone, enemies have almost become bullet-sponges, which usual pug players dont want to deal with and they accept the reward and quit.. GG.

Before I talk about M-Prime change, I should point out that I do try to ask politely (or mildly politely sometimes lol) to come nearer to pod so everyone gets xp. Its only after they ignore it, I get into my a**hat mode. I have heard that Banshee's Sonar cancels out Nova's ult debuff. Now I am levelling a Banshee JUST FOR THEM. If I see a Nova spawn camp, I will just stand with them and Sonar everytime they ult. Sonar is cheaper in energy cost and they cant beat me in that... I'd LOVE to see them rage !! xD

Regarding M-Prime, lots of things can be changed. Like cap on maximum number of enemies affected, maximum number of explosions, more aggressive diminishing of explosion damage based on distance (thus mobs have to be REALLY close to kill big ones like ancients), diminishing of snare and damage debuff based on range from nova (thus her ult still remains an effective oh-!@#% button, but not that effective world-destroyer), etc...

Edited by rksk16it