Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is it cannibalism?

Omnijack

I had a weird dream last night where Excalibur was eating the corpses of fallen grineer. Not going into the visceral details, but it got me thinking. If a Warframe eats a grineer or corpus, is it cannibalism?

First question would be whether the eater would be the Warframe or the tenno. If it's the Warframe, then they're not the same species (assuming that Warframe are the biomechanical quasi-sentient beings I've seen as a popular theory) but it still has the "humanoid eating another humanoid" vibe to it.

On the other hand the tenno could be seen as the eater since while they aren't necessarily there doing the eating they're controlling the Warframe and eating through that puppet. My lore is a bit rusty but I'm pretty sure that the tenno and the grineer and corpus aren't exactly the same genetically but are still pretty closely related.

Anyways, what are your thoughts? This has been rolling in my mind all day and I'm mostly just curious about thoughts and theories, not expecting a solid answer.

As an addendum I don't think inaros' devour ability could be considered "eating" since it's described as consuming their "life force" instead of literally pulling off chunks of flesh.

Also, what do kubrows/kavats eat? If they're carnivorous, why wouldn't they be taking a hunk out whatever they're biting. It's definitely not cannibalism if it's an animal, I'm just letting my thoughts run here.

11 hours ago, Omnijack said:

I had a weird dream last night where Excalibur was eating the corpses of fallen grineer. Not going into the visceral details, but it got me thinking. If a Warframe eats a grineer or corpus, is it cannibalism?

First question would be whether the eater would be the Warframe or the tenno. If it's the Warframe, then they're not the same species (assuming that Warframe are the biomechanical quasi-sentient beings I've seen as a popular theory) but it still has the "humanoid eating another humanoid" vibe to it.

On the other hand the tenno could be seen as the eater since while they aren't necessarily there doing the eating they're controlling the Warframe and eating through that puppet. My lore is a bit rusty but I'm pretty sure that the tenno and the grineer and corpus aren't exactly the same genetically but are still pretty closely related.

Anyways, what are your thoughts? This has been rolling in my mind all day and I'm mostly just curious about thoughts and theories, not expecting a solid answer.

As an addendum I don't think inaros' devour ability could be considered "eating" since it's described as consuming their "life force" instead of literally pulling off chunks of flesh.

Also, what do kubrows/kavats eat? If they're carnivorous, why wouldn't they be taking a hunk out whatever they're biting. It's definitely not cannibalism if it's an animal, I'm just letting my thoughts run here.

Warning, some story spoilers ahead that are directly related to your question.

Spoiler

Well, the Warframes biologically possess a relationship with the Infestation, as pointed out by Ordis when you walk into Helminth's room in your orbiter. On top of that, Alad V once mentioned he dissected a Warframe, and remarked their insides made no sense at all. This definitely leads to the Warframes themselves as not being human at all, and therefore not cannibalism. (Though it would be if it was eating infested flesh)

Oh, and check out the Codex entry on Rhino Prime too if you have the time. It seems a Warframe can be accidentally given free will, with the infested flesh inside acting on basic instincts, which resulted in a couple of Orokin lab workers got munched on. You're dream wasn't exactly far off from what is canon.

As for Kubrow and Kavat feed, methinks Ordis takes care of that every time your Kubrow or Kavat returns to the Orbiter.

Spoiler

As for what exactly they're fed, I believe Helminth aboard your ship is in charge of that, as he is responsible for managing organic processes aboard your orbiter.

Edited by LostSeeker0
typos