Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

ERROR 10054

imtooniceforthis

Question

Hello!

I've had this issue for a little while now and it's driving me insane. I can't fully enjoy the game anymore. 

So, basically, every now and then the game's chat tells me that I've received "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ERROR 10054" and then it informs me that it has successfully reconnected with chat. This happens every time I play nowadays and it is really bugging me. The error comes at random, it could be in solo mode or public mode, mission or not. Tradechat and recruiting chat as well as local chat works fine. Private messages or whispers, whatever you call them, are a bigger problem. I can't see if someone sends me a message or says something to me if I play in a public group.

Antivirus, Firewall, those are OK, Warframe is an exception both of them. I tried turning of UPnP and NAT-PMP in-game and the error showed up anyway. My internet is good and it has worked fine before this started happening. I tried port-forwading but everyone's router settings are different and the settings accepted what I put in there but I can't confirm it's 100% right. I even edited regedit but that didn't work either, I still got the error message.

I sent a support ticket and according to the second reply I got from them, they are busy. I'll keep waiting.

I'm gonna try with another account and see if the problem shows up there and then I might reset my router. If that fixes it all, I will let y'all know, but if not, I am at a loss of what to do anymore. Please help.

Thank you in advance! 

25 answers to this question

UPDATE:

EDIT: This apparently still doesn't fix it all the way. I still got the error. Hopefully this will only happen very rarely now.

The issues has been fixed, as far as I'm concerned. I haven't received any errors or blank chat tabs. I thought I'd share here what I was asked to do, so that if you ever come across this issue, maybe these tips will help you as well. These are from the WF support team that was so lovely and helpful and patient with all this.

• Go to Control Panel > Simple Icons in the top right >Network and Sharing Settings and select your local area connection or the Wifi that you are using.
  • Click Properties, then highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP).
  • Click Properties.
  • Select "Use the following DNS server addresses" and enter the desired DNS server(s) (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) in the space(s) provided.
  • Click the start button and navigate to the command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)
  • Make sure that you right click on the command prompt application and choose "Run as Administrator"
  • Type in the command ipconfig /flushdns

--

1. Please press Windows key and R key on your keyboard at the same time
  2. In the new Run window popped up, type msconfig, and hit Enter
  3. On the General tab of the System configuration window, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box.
  4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
  5. Note: This step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.
  6. Click OK, and then click Restart.

--

7. Please press Windows key and R key on your keyboard at the same time
  8. In the new Run window popped up, type msconfig, and hit Enter
  9. On the General tab of the System configuration window, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
  10. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Those are the tips sent to my by the support team. Now on my end, I did what they asked and I also added everything I could to the firewall. From the Steam folder (Steam\steamapps\common\Warframe) I put the Warframe.exe and Warframe.x64.exe and from the Steam\steamapps\common\Warframe\Tools I added the Launcher.exe to the Firewall exceptions.

I also checked my router settings and at least I have a firewall in there as well. It was set to Medium before. I put it to Low (standard).

I truly hope these help you if you're experiencing the error 10054 or blank chat tabs that won't come alive.

Thank you so much to the support team. I can enjoy Warframe again <3

Edited by imtooniceforthis
  • Like 1

Try setting your computer with a static IP in your router and see if that helps. I had very similar problems and a near copy/paste error message at the office when I try to access the database we use over here, the moment I set my PC to static IP, it never showed up again.

Edited by VadiseReikaz

20 minutes ago, VadiseReikaz said:

Try setting your computer with a static IP in your router and see if that helps. I had very similar problems and a near copy/paste error message at the office when I try to access the database we use over here, the moment I set my PC to static IP, it never showed up again.

Thank you for your reply! And if you would be so kind to tell me how to do the static IP or redirect me to a tutorial of sorts, I would really appreciate it. I am willing to try anything at this point :D 

Get into your router config, get into DHCP, and look at the connected clients. Find your computer in the list, take note of your Mac Address. In the DHCP settings there should also be something akin to "Address Reservation" or other words to that effect. You want to assign a static IP to that Mac Address (I set my PC to 192.168.1.100 but yours may not work depending on your router's settings). And then you should be set.

I cant be more precise because every router is different.

From what I read, one of the possible causes for that error message is an unexpected disconnection/reconnection. Are you on Wireless 5Ghz by any chance? some of the cheaper routers are extremely unstable at that frequency.

Edited by VadiseReikaz

23 minutes ago, VadiseReikaz said:

Get into your router config, get into DHCP, and look at the connected clients. Find your computer in the list, take note of your Mac Address. In the DHCP settings there should also be something akin to "Address Reservation" or other words to that effect. You want to assign a static IP to that Mac Address (I set my PC to 192.168.1.100 but yours may not work depending on your router's settings). And then you should be set.

I cant be more precise because every router is different.

From what I read, one of the possible causes for that error message is an unexpected disconnection/reconnection. Are you on Wireless 5Ghz by any chance? some of the cheaper routers are extremely unstable at that frequency.

To answer the question, nope, I use wired connection always. I thought my phone being connected via WIFI would be an issues, so when I play I turn off the WIFI on my phone but it doesn't help. I still get the error.

And about the DHCP, I googled the issue first, I checked if that DHCP was on via ipconfig in command prompt and DHCP was set on OFF. I then got into my router settings and found the page. There were settings for LAN host and DHCP settings. In LAN host settings, I found IP address and subnet mask. In DHCP settings, there is a ticked box on DHCP server enabled. Then there are start IP address and end IP adress and lease time. They all have something in them. There is also bundled address list with nothing in it. 

Do I change some of these or untick the enabled box for the DHCP server? 

Thank you for you patience and help, by the way. I really appreciate it.

Just now, VadiseReikaz said:

I think it may be best if you dont touch anything there. Know anyone that is a bit more computer savvy? if you change something here that you should not, then you will end up with no internet at all. May be best to wait and see what support tells you.

Don't know anyone who would know about these things. I wanna try out stuff but as you said, I might end up doing something real bad. It might be the best to wait what the support says. I really hope they actually reply to me at some point.

Thank you for your help. If anything comes to mind later on, please inform me :)

I used to get this all the time. This probably won't help you, but I'll tell you what wound up fixing it for me. 

I totally wiped windows off my computer and did a clean install. I did this for a different reason but the problem went away, so it was a bonus.

21 minutes ago, GOLDNROD said:

I used to get this all the time. This probably won't help you, but I'll tell you what wound up fixing it for me. 

I totally wiped windows off my computer and did a clean install. I did this for a different reason but the problem went away, so it was a bonus.

That might be a big drastic for me, but I keep that in mind if it ever comes to that.

UPDATE: I did a tiny test, nothing huge but anyways, I played 20 mins on my newer acc and then 24 mins on this acc, the one I use daily. The newer acc didn't get the error. The main account got it. Tho, I wasn't playing Onslaught on the newer acc, but dunno if that matters at all. I was playing with a public groups in both acc. This isn't probably anything but I keep on testing this.

And I also noticed that the recruiting/trade/local chats are actually affected by this. They sort of stop before/after the error. Freaking faaaantastic.

Hello again.

I just wanted to update you all on my progress with this annoying issue. So, last night I noticed a sort of a firewall thingy on my router settings. It was set to medium and I changed it to low (standard). I also changed my Windows firewall but adding the exe.files of Warframe to it. I then proceeded to play for a moment and I received no error 10045. I played this morning and no error. I am still very much afraid that it will come back but I am cautiously positive and hopeful. 

However, I noticed a new issue. I sent a message to a public group I was playing Onslaught with and they didn't answer me. That can happen yes, but I asked a simple yes or no question. Well, that's not out of the ordinary, I then went back the relay to check if I had the error again. No error, but I noticed something really weird. All the chat tabs were blank. Relay, Region, Trade and Recruitment chat were all blank. Some of them had previous, old messages but not a single new one was loading in (and if you know recruitment/trade chat, there's ALWAYS a new message coming in). This is really weird. I went to the game settings and changed the region and it didn't work. It doesn't show any players in the chat either, it's just blank, even though I can see people literally next to me in the relay I'm in. I've googled this issue and found nothing. When I log in, stuff works. When I go to the relay or something, it stops, or when I come out of a mission, it stops. It's really bizarre.

Anyone can help with this?

On 30.4.2018 at 5:49 AM, JudgeXion said:

Damn, that is more support then I got, I'm gonna try all that when I get home. Hopefully it will work for me too. 

Hopefully it works for you. I apparently still get the error but I'm still trying to find the final fix for this. But best of luck to you, mate! :)

15 hours ago, imtooniceforthis said:

Hopefully it works for you. I apparently still get the error but I'm still trying to find the final fix for this. But best of luck to you, mate! :)

I tried it, it works as long as I don't enter onslaught or plains, then it dies directly, I have run out of options now and it has to be my isp the problem lies on. 

5 hours ago, JudgeXion said:

I tried it, it works as long as I don't enter onslaught or plains, then it dies directly, I have run out of options now and it has to be my isp the problem lies on. 

The error happens a lot to me too when I enter Onslaught. I reset my router and now I have strict NAT pop up every time I log in. I have, to my best of knowledge forwarded the ports, but it still keeps on whining at me. Also the exceptions in my firewall, I add them and they seem to not be there anymore the next day. I also reinstalled the game again, deleted everything from and reinstalled, don't know if that helps. I'm going back to test more, but I am so helpless with this and I'm starting to get really annoyed. Every other game works fine, so why is this a thing with Warframe? I'm getting so frustrated and the Support team haven't answered me back yet. 

Also, ISP, I think you mean like the provider, right? I don't think a free game and the ppl making it can ask you to change your plans like that or ask you to get a better internet. I've had this good internet for a while now, I've had it during all the time I've played this game and I've never had any problems with it so far, until now. 

If you figure out ANYTHING to help with this, hit me up. I'll do the same, if I find something remotely useful.

38 minutes ago, imtooniceforthis said:

Also, ISP, I think you mean like the provider, right? I don't think a free game and the ppl making it can ask you to change your plans like that or ask you to get a better internet. I've had this good internet for a while now, I've had it during all the time I've played this game and I've never had any problems with it so far, until now. 

Nah what I meant with that is that this problem actually started around when I changed ISP (Internet Service Provider), and they probably have a setting (that I can't change) on their routers they provide that causes the problem, so I have to talk with them to see if they know something(which I doubt they do).

And the problem if I would guess, probably is that I have a Dynamic IP instead of a Static now with the new ISP.

1 minute ago, JudgeXion said:

Nah what I meant with that is that this problem actually started around when I changed ISP (Internet Service Provider), and they probably have a setting (that I can't change) on their routers they provide that causes the problem, so I have to talk with them to see if they know something(which I doubt they do).

And the problem if I would guess, probably is that I have a Dynamic IP instead of a Static now with the new ISP.

It could be. You should check up on that.

I'm still just messing around with settings. I got the Strict NAT pop-up again just now and my chat tabs went blank after I went to a Relay. Faaaaaantastic. 

I'll keep on looking. Keep me updated if you got an answer, I'll do the same. Good luck, mate!

59 minutes ago, imtooniceforthis said:

I'll keep on looking. Keep me updated if you got an answer, I'll do the same. Good luck, mate!

Well I had a talk with them and everything looks perfectly fine and he has no real idea what the problem could be.

He told me to write down every time I get the ERROR so that he can tomorrow check in the logs and see what happens at those times and see if we can work out a fix.

4 hours ago, JudgeXion said:

Well I had a talk with them and everything looks perfectly fine and he has no real idea what the problem could be.

He told me to write down every time I get the ERROR so that he can tomorrow check in the logs and see what happens at those times and see if we can work out a fix.

Everyone seems a little clueless. I'm gonna mess with IP-addresses next, to see if I find anything that works.

UPDATE: So, I got a message from the Support Team. They told me to port forward, again. I tried but I legit have no idea did I do it right. I sent them another message, showed them the way I did it and they didn't say was it wrong or right, however, they told me to bypass my router. So the internet would come straight from the modem. Well, I don't have a modem, so, that's kinda hard. But, again, if that helps somebody, do that.

Well, yesterday I was just googling this issue again and checking router settings for no reason. Back in the day, when I got this router, I couldn't get it to work and I called a help number on the matter and they told me to make a APN profile. I did it back in the day and everything was fine. Well, yesterday, while I was thinking stuff over, I just reviewed my like actual internet settings inside the router. There's a box that said profile and it had auto on it. That auto APN profile is always there. I thought I'd change it to the one that I made. I then stepped into the game and my strict NAT pop-up was gone! I tried it like 3 times and once today and it's not there. So far I haven't received the 10054 error either, but I wouldn't be surprised if I did. (And yeah, after I did a reset on my router, the strict NAT thing started happening all of a sudden. Not sure if I mentioned that before.)

I'll keep on eye on this. I wish y'all the best of luck with this issue.

11 hours ago, imtooniceforthis said:

So it looks okay on their side? Damn. Have you been in contact with the Warframe Support? 

Yup and I gone thru all they said (which matches what they told you) and the extra thing they told you they didn't tell me about the "DNS Server Address being 8.8.8.8 etc.."

10 hours ago, JudgeXion said:

Yup and I gone thru all they said (which matches what they told you) and the extra thing they told you they didn't tell me about the "DNS Server Address being 8.8.8.8 etc.."

And you're still getting 10054 and/or Strict NAT? Well, I don't mean to sound like I got it all working now, I am still very much suspicious of all this.
Have you done a reset on your router? Do you have APN profiles or anything there? 
Oh, and in the Warframe Launcher, have you done the Download Cache's verify and optimize functions? Dunno, if they would actually help, but you could always try!

Hello again to all of you! I've now been talking to the support for like 3 weeks and a lot of emails later, my support thread has now been closed. They can't assist me any further, but they will hit me up again, if they have further questions. 

And, so, I got the last Khorra part from Onslaught, so I haven't played that game mode in a while now. I've been doing other things, like fissures and whatnot. I even traded again. I haven't received the error for a moment now. I did receive the blank chat tabs at one point but nothing else, so far. The game feels like it did before, hopefully I can fully enjoy it now again as well.

The last thing the support told me to do was DMZ-related stuff:

Please login the router using your Internet Browser

• Open the web browser and type the IP address of the Router in the address bar (default is 192.168.1.1/192.168.0.1/192.168.0.254) and press Enter.
  • Find your options for DMZ inside your router's networking options.
  • You should check Enable for the current DMZ Status, enter the IP address(es) of the PC/console that are to be set as DMZ HOST into DMZ Host IP address box, click save.
  • After all changes that are made to your router, you will need to reboot the router.

Try that if you're having this issue. Maybe that'll help you. It didn't really help me since my DMZ settings are a bit different. 

I'll still keep an eye on this issue. If I find anything, I'll post it here. I also wanted to thank the Warframe Support. They were super nice and helpful.

But anyways, good luck to all of us :) One day, we can fix this all :)