Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

2V2 And Other Pvp Possibilities

MXultra

I'm interested in the possibilities of PVP, not cause I think it will be great, but it will offer something different. But as we know, the frames were not designed for PVP and thus there are going to be skills that are either absolutely useless or horribly OP when turned against another Tenno. I don't know if DE has plans to separately rescale all the values to balance PvP, but if we try out different frame match-ups as is, we will very quickly discover that Rhino is superior to Nyx (surprise!). So I thought I would suggest having 2 on 2, Dual Duels if you will.

This could work as simply as that, allowing us to come up with more unexpected team combinations and tactics. But a further suggestion would be to feature a new kind of PvP revive: If your teammate drops, you can run over them and raise them instantly at the cost of your shields (or some other penalty). Another possibility is that 1 player on each team could be the Commander and the others would be their Champion. The Commander can revive the Champion, but the round ends when a Commander drops.

The Commander/Champion setup would yield tactics ranging from having a heavy Commander hang back and provide covering fire as their Champion advances to engage the enemy Champion before taking on the enemy Commander.

Conversely, you might see a fast/lightly armored Commander running evasive maneuvers around the environment as their Champion moves to engage. If their Champion drops, all focus will be on them, so it will be a priority for them to get to their downed ally and rez them. This creates a situation where the enemy team can fox-guard the downed Champion, which also gives more opportunity for Ash and Loki to make use of their stealth/trickery in PvP.

Another possibility is that you might see a Commander and Champion both try to bum-rush the enemy Commander.

I think this might liven things up and actually help with balancing. At the very least, there will be much more to explore in team combinations and tactics than simply "this frame > that frame".

Now imagine this setup with 3v3 or 4v4! Tenno bar fight! :D

Quote from FAQ:

Is there PvP in Warframe? (When will there be PvP? Your game is dead without PvP! I have an idea for PvP mode!)
There is no PvP mode in Warframe yet. Face-palm? Sure, but when we started building this game a year ago, we saw plenty of PvP and less PvE. Right we want to focus and do one thing well: PvE. That said we are investing in better leaderboards, clans goals, and other more 'meta' forms of competition right now.

​IMHO it should be called IRAQ: Intensively Repeated Annoying Questions.

Quote from FAQ:

Is there PvP in Warframe? (When will there be PvP? Your game is dead without PvP! I have an idea for PvP mode!)

There is no PvP mode in Warframe yet. Face-palm? Sure, but when we started building this game a year ago, we saw plenty of PvP and less PvE. Right we want to focus and do one thing well: PvE. That said we are investing in better leaderboards, clans goals, and other more 'meta' forms of competition right now.

Do you even watch the livestream? They said it's coming in 10, I'm simply making a suggestion. Why don't you respond to my idea, rather than replying to a frequently asked question that I didn't even ask.

Do you even watch the livestream? They said it's coming in 10, I'm simply making a suggestion. Why don't you respond to my idea, rather than replying to a frequently asked question that I didn't even ask.

Yeah, I saw the livestream. And all that DE said was that, they want to make something like dueling room, but available for every player, so you can fight with your friend who is in other clan.

Yeah, I saw the livestream. And all that DE said was that, they want to make something like dueling room, but available for every player, so you can fight with your friend who is in other clan.

And you can imagine what an uninteresting feature that will be...

Edit: I've decided that you numb-nutted neaderballs don't deserve my brilliant ideas and I don't see a purpose in defending them from people who's most eloquent argument is "no no no".

Edited by MXultra

And you can imagine what an uninteresting feature that will be...

Yes, I can. I never was in PvP too much. But well, Pvp%&^s wanted dueling, so they got it. And now they will be able to duel even outside of the clan. No big deal.

If you're saying, that we need more and different PvP - please, relate to FAQ.

Edited by Angius

I've decided that you numb-nutted neaderballs don't deserve my brilliant ideas and I don't see a purpose in defending them from people who's most eloquent argument is "no no no".

Oh god! Whatever shall I do without your brilliance?

I am alone, adrift on a harsh sea of numb-nutted-ness without the shining light that is your idea of which has been posted here time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time again.

Woe is me! For thou hast forsaken this forum.

Yes, I can. I never was in PvP too much. But well, Pvp%&^s wanted dueling, so they got it. And now they will be able to duel even outside of the clan. No big deal.

If you're saying, that we need more and different PvP - please, relate to FAQ.

I'm not even pro-PvP in this game (relatively ambivalent), but my prediction is that DE will slowly keep adding more and more PvP to the game, regardless of what that FAQ currently says, and how many times people quote it as some sort of truth that will never happen. Steve also mentioned how because of esports interest, he's exploring various ways to have better competition (which sounds bigger than the "meta" competition mentioned in the FAQ).

So as people fight on about PvP or no PvP, I know that as a developer, DE is trying to add more of it. They would because any developer would. I would only be sad if they added crap like CTF or huge deathmatch arenas, but knowing DE, that will be a first step into an eventual Assault mode or other more objective-based narrative mode.

Quote from FAQ:

Yet they didn't include the most obvious form of competition in Warframe: racing. With the tile sets and so many annoying stagger enemies, Warframe would make a hilariously fun racing game. Who doesn't want to see a Frost snowglobe the competition, only to get switch teleported by a Loki. The antics would be endless, and it would be easier to balance. Plus its silly enough to pass the time.

Yah we got the agility course, but its just...not as fun.

I think the easiest way to balance frames for pvp is just they have fixed set ups in pvp mode, basically cutting out the whole mod system as a whole for that mode. Change the skills to not be ridiculous, give things appropriate hp/shield values, weapon mods extend to reload/clip size/fire rate/ damage/max ammo, with limited capacity/slots on the weapons so you actually have to sacrifice something (like having 2 slots and only 20 capacity).

This question has been spammed. Some probably missed the livestream. There is no need to take an attitude.

As to your idea, there is already very high imbalance in 1 v 1. I do not see 2 v 2 being viable at this point in time. That is just my opinion.

Thanks for the legitimate responses. This topic was never about whether or not to have PvP; they said it's coming, why not make it worthwhile?

This question has been spammed. Some probably missed the livestream. There is no need to take an attitude.

As to your idea, there is already very high imbalance in 1 v 1. I do not see 2 v 2 being viable at this point in time. That is just my opinion.

Firstly, I didn't ask a question. That was Angius's attempt to derail the topic with a strawman argument and had nothing to do with my post. When someone puts together an idea to enhance an aspect of the game, it should be a common courtesy to discuss that idea or STFU. He probably just saw pvp in the title, skipped reading the post, and posted an irrelevant quote to support his stance against "PvP%&^s". I think any attitude I copt was within the realm of a reasonable response.

Secondly, I agree that there are imbalances in 1 v 1, but my point was that more combinations yield more complexity to explore, meaning PvP won't get boring in an under an hour. I think having the opportunity for aggressor/support roles give frames like Loki and Ash a chance at viability in PvP. Having a tank ally gives squishy frames like Nova and Vauban a chance to run around instead of just getting blasted by a Rhino Stomp within the first couple seconds.

If you can, please explain how 2v2 would be more broken or imbalanced than 1v1.

Edited by MXultra

I think the easiest way to balance frames for pvp is just they have fixed set ups in pvp mode, basically cutting out the whole mod system as a whole for that mode. Change the skills to not be ridiculous, give things appropriate hp/shield values, weapon mods extend to reload/clip size/fire rate/ damage/max ammo, with limited capacity/slots on the weapons so you actually have to sacrifice something (like having 2 slots and only 20 capacity).

PvP should probably have damage scaled to 1/4th. I don't think they should change the mod system, but they should definitely show you your opponent's loadout (frame mods and weapons) before the fight.