Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Turn Energy Orbs Into Particles And The Addition Of An Overheat System

pdxdubin

i don´t get the problem with cooldowns.

you say people will wait until the cooldown is over? they can already do that with energy siphon, altough i can see that it´s hard to make a system like this with the "press 4 to win" skills. maybe they should tone them down?

One thing that comes to mind reading this : there's a system I've seen in Dungeons & Dragons : Neverwinter to deal with the use of different "Power" types from D&D 4th edition.

In D&D 4th ed, you have "At-Will", "Encounter" and "Daily" Powers. At-Will can be used every turn as a standard action (like a simple attack), Encounters can only be used once every fight and Daily powers only once a day.

They translated the system to an action RPG with Neverwinter by making At-Wills your default attacks (left and right mouse click) as combos, Encounters as abilities with a 12 second cooldown individually and Daily abilities as a type of super moves that requires an 'Action Point' to use which is basically a super meter that charges up as you attack or take damage and once it's full, you can use your Daily ability.

Since many here suggest putting the Overheat for the first 3 skills, how about making the 4th (or Ults) work by charging it up as you take or deal damage then make it triggerable once it's fully charged?

Also, the difference with Mass Effect 3 is that it used a cooldown system exclusively without any need for a ressource; all it did was lock up your abilities on a global cooldown on use with the duration based on the power used. It did indeed work well with the game to allow 'caster' classes to be effective by focusing on either damage or recharge time. However, given how the pace in Warframe is much higher and that it also uses an Energy system, I'm guessing the "Overheat" would need to overlap on the Energy system to avoid spam but also maximize effectiveness of Energy usage versus its damage output.

---

Nevertheless, I could see the 4th skill needing to be charged from combat with rates depending on the effect of the ability. Room clearing abilities like Nova would take longer to charge while crowd controls would be a bit quicker and so on and so forth, balanced as need be. Likewise, making 4th abilities harder to charge would mean the player has to be more proactive and make standing in one spot and spamming 4 much less viable.

TL;DR

- Turn energy orbs, into energy particles that slowly move into you, and look cooler.  instead of sitting on the ground like stale pieces of ghost poop waiting for you to step on.

- Add an over heat system to the game, to remove the ability of casting Ultimate abilities whenever you feel like it.

Add some risk to these abilities, and make them more rewarding when you use them, and more situational.

Instead of just something you can throw out whenever you have energy for it (which is quite often)

New Energy Return System

I really like these two ideas, and I want to focus on them, I think they will make the game more fun and balanced.

Now we all know that energy orbs are redundant and there are too many of them sometimes, 

These have been here for a LONG time and I think they could use a slight update,

I don't want to remove energy recovery, I just want to make it look better ;P 

So here Is how I propose to make the energy system more fun and innovative. 

Instead of plain simple orbs that drop on the ground, I think energy return should be like the "soul" of the energy you kill, or a sprite of particles that JUMPS OUT and slowly moves towards you.

For example ( But instead use Physx Particles or something more simple ) 

this will make it so that all the enemies that you kill off into the distance will release these instead of energy orbs, and they will rise up and move towards you, isntead you you having to run around everywhere to collect them, 

Because running around to collect energy particles is kinda boring for me. 

Overheat System 

Now since some ultimate abilities are over powered, ( Molecular prime, Rhino Stomp, Contagion ) 

I am sure that DE is already thinking about how to tone these down, now instead of just nerfing the abilities and letting us continue to spam them, I have a better idea.

The Overheat system..

This will not affect any spam abilities hardly at all, it will be a very simple system, where high energy cost abilities take up a certain amount of (Heat) and if you cast them too quickly you will over heat and you will be penalized with a decent cool down

(10-30 seconds)

But if they want to cast it AGAIN, that's fine.. But casting an ability while you are over heating, or on the verge of over heating, will cause severe damage to your warframe because you already hit your limit.

For example if you cast Molecular prime, and you over heat..  You can cast it again if you really want too, but then you may end up nearly killing yourself or hurting yourself some how as punishment,  

This will let players who want to continue to spam abilities, do so with some risk involved, while those who want to cast them once will have absolutely no risk whatsoever and they can wait to just cool down.

Here is a quick example of how it should look visually.

QbFGhQa.png

Now if we give some ultimate abilities, a very low amount of heat, we will not be able to cast these abilities as much as we want.

and we will have to use our heads to really make them count and make sure we get as much benefit out of them as possible.

Now in return, the heat bar should drop quite quickly for other abilities, but for 100 point ultimate's I think it should honestly over heat you instantly no matter what. 

Now you cannot tell me that you agree casing Molecular prime over and over and over again,

In any situation is balanced, nor for any of the other ultimate's, even vortex and rhino stomp.

These should be situational abilities that you only use in OH S#&$ situations, and if this happens, I think using these abilities will feel a lot more rewarding and would turn into more of a highlight of the game play.

I don't want to make the game feel less flashy, or boring

But at the same time these abilities are unbalanced, and the only other alternative is to completely NERF energy, or NERF the abilities themselves.

This would make for a nice alternative and add a new layer of depth to the game, and it fits in perfectly. 

Advantages of overheating

Now the over heat system is basically a big nerf to everyone right.. True, So I think there should be some advantages to making yourself overheat, as a strategic standard, to compel players to do something else instead of just spamming abilities.

Now these are all just in the air, but

Maybe once you over heat, your other abilities will do more damage or be more effective?

After overheating you could do more mele damage? or move more quickly.

Something to change the pace of game play, to really keep you on your toes and keep the game interesting.

Tell me what you think about this, after all the ideas I have come up with, and all the discussions over this topic, this has come down to the best choice and alternative to them all.

I don't want to remove energy orbs, that is not my goal, I just want to balance out the high cost ability spamming : )

As well as make the year old energy orbs look more up to date, which I am sure is already in the works.

Thanks for reading my post!

It is ridiculous. At first I did not read the writing to the end. This is nonsense. 
Explain to me how kind you are planning to survive in such a system in a mobile defense? If you do not understand what I mean is: 
1) I recommend that you recognize a little heated. (I wanted to write more ... but I decided that it would offend you too, but the way it is).
2) Delete the topic. 
3) it does not raise more. 

Hint. You can use the brains in a tactical skirmish. This game is where the Action is required 2% think and 98% press of a button. Otherwise it would not be released to the console.
Edited by hallfrom

It is ridiculous. At first I did not read the writing to the end. This is nonsense. 
Explain to me how kind you are planning to survive in such a system in a mobile defense? If you do not understand what I mean is: 
1) I recommend that you recognize a little heated. (I wanted to write more ... but I decided that it would offend you too, but the way it is).
2) Delete the topic. 
3) it does not raise more. 

Hint. You can use the brains in a tactical skirmish. This game is where the Action is required 2% think and 98% press of a button. Otherwise it would not be released to the console.

So you mean this game is meant to have no skill in it involved and just spam buttons to wipe out everyone? Wow. So much fun dude. I see the challenge in that /sarcasm.

Mobile defense is seriously easy even without the usage of abilities. The weapons in this game already are very overpowered and can manage on their own. I actually would love to have some challenge.

Much better way for nerfing ulti spam is crippling the frame a bit via debuffs.

You want to call down your Molecular Prime? Get ready to move at 60% of speed for 20 seconds. Also, consider having another 0,6 multiplier for every subsequent cast, which refreshes.

You want your stomp right now? Enjoy 20 seconds accuracy falloff and purging all buffs.

Want to crush somebody? Enjoy your shield depletion and 10 secs regen delay.

Blessing? Restricted to melee and powers only for duration of it.

And so on.

Edited by Icouldjustkissyou

So you mean this game is meant to have no skill in it involved and just spam buttons to wipe out everyone? Wow. So much fun dude. I see the challenge in that /sarcasm.

Mobile defense is seriously easy even without the usage of abilities. The weapons in this game already are very overpowered and can manage on their own. I actually would love to have some challenge.

The class itself is the game dictates. This arcade-type action. Veni Vidi won. It makes no sense to explain that spam skills and features players from the mob.

So write down the video with a mobile defense nightmare against 40 + mobs and without 4 skills. Let's see how easy it is. No Nix, Frost and Vauban. Although this should not be a nightmare to play value.

PS. Skill spamming skills too.
Edited by hallfrom