The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

screen freeze

Star_Blazaer

Anyone have this glitch where the game screen freezes on a frame but everything else is working?

for example it freezes on me zooming in my gun, and a couple seconds later i hear everything else going on in the background. i can fire my gun, jump, move, everything, i just see this 

static image.

Yes, its been a problem for awhile and ive yet to find any fix for this. I almost thought i fixed it this weekend but monday morning screen froze again. Worked all weekend without one freeze it was nice. 

I have two types of this problem, one with Dx10 or Dx11 active and the other without either active. With one or both active, my screen freezes for a few seconds, the image cuts away and the game still runs normally otherwise. Without either active, the game will come back after about 10-20 seconds but if I was the host, everyone will have gotten kicked and I'll then be solo the rest of the mission.

I've had this problem for a few months now and I've tried everything on the support page multiple times. I'd recommend following their steps just in case that fixes your problem. I've done a lot of research on this over the past three months and I have found out how to find what's causing it.

Next time you play and it crashes, (Note: This is for windows 10, sorry if you don't have this) type in "%appdata%" without quotations (Don't use quotations for anything that I have in this message) in the search bar at the bottom of the screen. This will likely open up the "Roaming" section of appdata so you'll probably need to click appdata on the path at the top of explorer. Now go into "Local" and scroll down until you see "Warframe" and go into it. Now open the "EE" file within with notepad and go all the way to the bottom of the file. This is a game log of sorts which overwrites itself for every startup of the game and scroll up until you see what caused the problem. A good indicator that you're close to seeing the problem is if you see "DisableTextureStreaming 1" and it shouldn't be much farther up. This is how I found my issue to be DeviceHung without Dx10 or Dx11 but DeviceLost/DeviceRemoved with either of them on. I've noticed that the game doesn't seem to call "GetDeviceRemovedReason" in the log and doesn't re-enable texture streaming once the game starts running again.

I haven't found a fix yet but that file is what set me on the right path and after some testing, I've found it to likely be a software problem on my end but it could be something different on your end or for all we know it could be the way the game renders things and it's not any of us. 

Anyway, I hope I helped in some way by providing my experience and what I've been doing to attempt to diagnose my problem! I hope you fix your problem!

I started looking through that file you talk about, "EE", and im finding a ton of errors. But im guessing alot of them are coming about because of the screen freeze. I think i managed to find before the freeze though. Im finding alot of stuff like this {

2 static entities created at runtime; eg:

/Layer512/Layer0/Layer4/GrineerOceanStorageLocker16 [/Lotus/Objects/Grineer/Structural/Doors/GrnStorageLocker_skel.fbx]

/Layer512/Layer0/Layer1/FlyBridgeAction0

If this happens during gameplay it could cause performance problems!

}

the warning if during gameplay thing is interesting , i wonder if this is a cause or effect. 

Edited by MasterZ

In my case I have a DeviceHung or DeviceRemoved error depending on if I have Dx10/Dx11 enabled or not. If you close the game after it freezes, your problem should be near the bottom of the log. Look for DisableTextureStreaming if your screen goes black or visuals cut out. I am by no means an expert on the subject or qualified to help with these issues beyond setting you on the correct path to finding your solution. Just wanted to say that because I've had no experience beyond what I'm currently experiencing and a bit of knowledge about how software works from an AP Computer Science class I took about a year ago. I'm more qualified at explaining German(Not fluent yet) than I am at explaining computers. I'm just sending you on your way to possibly figuring out what your specific problem is. Mine is most likely some kind of hardware issue now that I've done more testing with various tools but I'm not certain yet, as I'm communicating with support about my problem and giving them the information they need to hopefully diagnose what's going on.

I'd recommend contacting support (Their hours are 9am-6pm EST) after the next time it crashes and attach your EE log with the ticket as that is what the crash reporter told me I should do last time it popped up, either that or I read it somewhere else on the forums. If the crash reporter pops up, save the code it gives (It should look something like WAR-***** but with a bunch of numbers) and send that in the ticket as well when describing your situation.

I hope you'll be able to fix your problem soon!

On 2018-06-03 at 8:11 PM, Star_Blazaer said:

Anyone have this glitch where the game screen freezes on a frame but everything else is working?

for example it freezes on me zooming in my gun, and a couple seconds later i hear everything else going on in the background. i can fire my gun, jump, move, everything, i just see this 

static image.

I had this exact problem crop up after the latest nvidia driver update.  I reverted and so far it has worked; no freezes yet but I need to test it more to make sure.

On 2018-06-11 at 3:16 AM, FlatDevice said:

I had this exact problem crop up after the latest nvidia driver update.  I reverted and so far it has worked; no freezes yet but I need to test it more to make sure.

reverted to what exactly?