Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[The Sacrifice / SPOILERS] Please consider taking out stunlocking.

Ophiolith

Simply put, the new Sentient enemies and boss fights introduced in The Sacrifice would be really cool, enjoyable encounters if it weren't for the fact that many of their attacks, in addition to being incredibly damaging, also stunlock / stagger your Warframe.  The first few Sentient Mimic encounters were genuinely tense, scary affairs, but when I end up having three to five of the blighters bearing down on me, each firing a beam that successively staggers my frame, it veers from enjoyable challenge into total cheese.  Ditto on Umbra's slash-dash variant that staggers with every hit, especially as it's in some cases next to impossible to avoid if your operator is stuck in a transference delay while Umbra makes a beeline for your frame.  It's not even that it makes these fights unwinnable or even markedly more difficult, it just makes them tedious and frustrating when they don't need to be.

i play Overwatch and that stagger reminded me of a new hero we got called bridgette that stagger is just pure bullS#&$, "stun killed", just to add moer i thought this game had more to offer as a returning Veteran, i just uninstalled after a 1 year break, i'll just be watching cinematics from Tactical potato , deleted the game after playing the quest

It's a matter of being prepared for it actually. I know it's hard at first, and that if your operator isn't powerful yet you might struggle with that, but it was meant to be challenging. Make sure to use melee block. Your options include Atlas, Valkyr, Oberon, Rhino, Nezha or using terrain to your advantage.

Edited by GLoRToR

4 minutes ago, GLoRToR said:

It's a matter of being prepared for it actually. I know it's hard at first, and that if your operator isn't powerful yet you might struggle with that, but it was meant to be challenging. Make sure to use melee block. Your options include Atlas, Valkyr, Oberon, Rhino, Nezha or using terrain to your advantage.

My operator isn't the problem.  I'm not that much of a fan of operator gameplay, but this is entirely about frequent, sometimes unavoidable stagger when in Warframe mode, which adds very little to the actual challenge of a given fight.

Just now, Voidhymn said:

My operator isn't the problem.  I'm not that much of a fan of operator gameplay, but this is entirely about frequent, sometimes unavoidable stagger when in Warframe mode, which adds very little to the actual challenge of a given fight.

If it adds little to the challenge then what are you struggling with?

Just now, GLoRToR said:

If it adds little to the challenge then what are you struggling with?

I'm not struggling with it from a challenge / difficulty perspective - It is a frustrating, redundant mechanic that arbitrarily locks you out of movement or combat.  It's like somebody coming along and repeatedly prodding you in the arm - it's not going to stop you going about your day, but it's sure as heck annoying and unnecessary.

Just now, Voidhymn said:

I'm not struggling with it from a challenge / difficulty perspective - It is a frustrating, redundant mechanic that arbitrarily locks you out of movement or combat.  It's like somebody coming along and repeatedly prodding you in the arm - it's not going to stop you going about your day, but it's sure as heck annoying and unnecessary.

I just told you how to counter that mechanic though, so you should be fine now, right?
It's not a bug, it's a mechanic that creates an unfavourable situation which you can avoid or even negate.

3 minutes ago, GLoRToR said:

I just told you how to counter that mechanic though, so you should be fine now, right?
It's not a bug, it's a mechanic that creates an unfavourable situation which you can avoid or even negate.

As I said, it is a frustrating, redundant mechanic that is in many cases unavoidable.  In many situations it is not even possible to even switch to melee and raise your block between the time a Sentient Mimic fires its beam and it connecting with your frame.  Ditto on the delay during operator transference.

10 minutes ago, Voidhymn said:

As I said, it is a frustrating, redundant mechanic that is in many cases unavoidable.  In many situations it is not even possible to even switch to melee and raise your block between the time a Sentient Mimic fires its beam and it connecting with your frame.  Ditto on the delay during operator transference.

That's a matter of timing. Umbra uses melee so you can melee him right back. Or you can gain distance with bullet jump. And you can time your operator moves. AI in games uses patterns, I had literally no trouble defeating him.

Look, I get it, you want the game to change and don't want to learn how to adapt to it.
Doesn't bother me, I just wanted to try and help you. 
Good luck and have fun!

4 minutes ago, GLoRToR said:

Interesting read there.  It's right about one thing - I don't play to win, I play to have fun, to do something enjoyable in my spare time.  I feel that DE's current implementation of stunlock as it is here with very little in the way of tell and disproportionately demanding of player response times to the point of being nigh impossible to avoid, is not 'fun', or indeed congruent with the rest of DE's design choices, but that's a whole other essay.

Il y a 4 heures, GLoRToR a dit :

That's a matter of timing. Umbra uses melee so you can melee him right back. Or you can gain distance with bullet jump. And you can time your operator moves. AI in games uses patterns, I had literally no trouble defeating him.

Look, I get it, you want the game to change and don't want to learn how to adapt to it.
Doesn't bother me, I just wanted to try and help you. 
Good luck and have fun!

No, I agree with him, stunlock has always been a problem in Warframe, this is most obvious when you play against the infested, or in a Grineer Eximus Stronghold.

As for Umbra, I didn't mind during the first fights because you're much more agile than it and can outmaneuver it (bulletjumping out of range before switching back to operator) but in the operator-only fight, you had little to no ways of dodging it. So you get staggered once, twice, until Umbra decides to take a break, and you can't escape until it does. It adds difficulty alright, but gameplay-wise, it adds nothing but frustration.

Regarding your solutions, you basically told him to play 5 particular frames and hope for the right rooms to pop. That's not what I call a solution. At least mention Handspring, this one is acceptable.

27 minutes ago, Retrijeuj said:

No, I agree with him, stunlock has always been a problem in Warframe, this is most obvious when you play against the infested, or in a Grineer Eximus Stronghold.

As for Umbra, I didn't mind during the first fights because you're much more agile than it and can outmaneuver it (bulletjumping out of range before switching back to operator) but in the operator-only fight, you had little to no ways of dodging it. So you get staggered once, twice, until Umbra decides to take a break, and you can't escape until it does. It adds difficulty alright, but gameplay-wise, it adds nothing but frustration.

Regarding your solutions, you basically told him to play 5 particular frames and hope for the right rooms to pop. That's not what I call a solution. At least mention Handspring, this one is acceptable.

I fully agree. Losing is frustrating whether you lose to enemies with too much hp + damage or lose to lag, or lose to any conceivable mechanic. Conditioning yourself to complain on forums instead of finding a solution to issues just makes for a poor experience altogether. 
When I went to a Void Survival after so many years of not playing the game and got permastaggered by one of those shotgun bogeys, I almost threw my controller. Then I went back and learned how to roll out of it. It's not actually frame-perfect and you can mash roll to get clear.

As for my solutions, I offered multiple solutions to a single problem. I mean, you can try to heal groups with Volt but it will be less effective than healing groups with Trinity, so on that same train of thought you can handicap yourself by not picking an advantageous tactic or you can go straight for the optimal solution and be done sooner. 

And finally the playing for fun argument. If anyone's fun is about playing disadvantageous situations, they have no right to complain about being at a disadvantage. Adapt or die, Tenno.
The Origin System rarely changes to people's whims and those changes are usually well founded. The difficulty posed by combat mechanics is well documented and comes down to periodical overview and changes where necessary. Currently, that quest was meant to be difficult. That design is on purpose and there are counters to it, Handspring included. 

I certainly mean no offence to anyone's preferences, I'm simply trying to point out that bringing down the game's difficulty because people who don't want to learn is probably not a good direction to take, but I'm not a dev and I've said all I have to say about this.
Please have fun regardless. Good luck!